Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help with my plan. TESU ACCOUNTING
If I take the extra credits will they appear on my transcript? Are you doing the BA in accounting for a CPA as well?
CLEP - 7 Courses, Study.com - 11 Courses, Sophia - 15 Courses, CSM Learn, INSTANTCERT - Spanish I, Coursera - Google Data Analytics Certificate.

UMPI Double major BA Accounting, BABA Project Management. 2023

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
(09-26-2021, 06:03 PM)acethroughcollege Wrote: If I take the extra credits will they appear on my transcript? Are you doing the BA in accounting for a CPA as well?
I am getting a degree from UMPI in accounting and do plan to sit for the CPA exam. I have a prior bachelor’s degree (in history), so I am already well beyond the 150 hours. I am in a state whose accounting board basically does not accept ACE credits, so TESU using study.com/SL/CLEP was not an option for me.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
(09-26-2021, 06:07 PM)freeloader Wrote:
(09-26-2021, 06:03 PM)acethroughcollege Wrote: If I take the extra credits will they appear on my transcript? Are you doing the BA in accounting for a CPA as well?
I am getting a degree from UMPI in accounting and do plan to sit for the CPA exam. I have a prior bachelor’s degree (in history), so I am already well beyond the 150 hours. I am in a state that basically does not accept ACE credits, so TESU using study.com/SL/CLEP was not an option for me.

So how does UMPI work then? I see you have some Sophia credits. Will all the rest of your credits come from UMPI? Or are you just taking the core accounting stuff?
CLEP - 7 Courses, Study.com - 11 Courses, Sophia - 15 Courses, CSM Learn, INSTANTCERT - Spanish I, Coursera - Google Data Analytics Certificate.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
(09-26-2021, 06:12 PM)acethroughcollege Wrote:
I am getting a degree from UMPI in accounting and do plan to sit for the CPA exam. I have a prior bachelor’s degree (in history), so I am already well beyond the 150 hours. I am in a state that basically does not accept ACE credits, so TESU using study.com/SL/CLEP was not an option for me.

So how does UMPI work then? I see you have some Sophia credits. Will all the rest of your credits come from UMPI? Or are you just taking the core accounting stuff?
FWIW, my experience shouldn’t be followed by anybody. I have attended a community college, 2 universities as a non-degree seeking student, and now UMPI in pursuit of my 2nd bachelor’s in accounting. Because of my state’s anti-ACE stance, I am pretty much taking everting I need to be eligible for the CPA through UMPI. I have the Sophia credits (I got them before I really knew specifically that I wanted the CPA designation and they helped me get back into the school/studying/online mindset after being out of school for a while). 

UMPI YourPace is competency based. Terms are 8 weeks and you can take as many classes as you are able to during that 8-week period for one set price ($1,400). Materials are self-contained, so you don’t have to buy books and don’t have to pay proctoring fees. Grades are based on your final exam/paper/project. 

UMPI has 2 accounting options: a BA in Accounting and a BA in Business Administration with a concentration in accounting. Either would provide you with the required hours to be eligible to sit for the NJ CPA exam. (There is also a BLS with accounting minor which I suppose you could do as well, but I would lean strongly toward the 2 other options). 

I don’t think there is a sample degree plan on here for maxing alt credit for the BA in Accounting, but you could adjust the BA in Business Admin (Management and Leadership) for the BABA Accounting pretty easily. The Gen Eds and business admin core would be the same, but the concentration would be different.  UMPI seems to be pretty reasonable/generous with Sophia and Study credits. 

Here is the link for the Management and Leadership thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-for-3-222

If you look at that SmartSheet, you can skip lines 31, 45, 46, 48, 49, 52 as those are specific to the management and leadership concentration. You would need the courses in the accounting concentration. A number of these (Intermediate I and II, Cost, and Advanced) are available through Study.com: https://study.com/college/school/umpi.html

It is also worth mentioning that there are some things that have been learned about making degree completion through UMPI a little easier. If it is of interest to you, definitely read through more of the UMPI threads to figure out your best plan. 

If you wanted to do the BA in Accounting, I am sure you could build a workable plan for that as well. 

You have to complete at least 10 courses/competencies through UMPI. For either of the UMPI degrees, you will likely end up doing more than that but should be able to get it to where you would need to complete 15 or so courses at UMPI. Assuming you are reasonably quick/motivated, you should be able to get that done in 2-3 terms. So, you would be looking at $2,800-4,200 plus Sophia/study/IC costs, assuming no pell grant, tuition reimbursement, etc. 

Since you are not yet 20, you could spend the next few months getting all of your alt credits out of the way. Since UMPI starts a new session roughly every 8 week, you wouldn’t have to wait long after your birthday to get started. 

I am not necessarily recommend UMPI (or saying it’s a bad choice for you), I am just trying to provide information. There is something to be said for having a degree from a nearby/in-state school. If you plan to stay in NJ or a neighboring state, being part of that alumni network could pay dividends.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
(09-26-2021, 08:40 PM)freeloader Wrote:
(09-26-2021, 06:12 PM)acethroughcollege Wrote:

FWIW, my experience shouldn’t be followed by anybody. I have attended a community college, 2 universities as a non-degree seeking student, and now UMPI in pursuit of my 2nd bachelor’s in accounting. Because of my state’s anti-ACE stance, I am pretty much taking everting I need to be eligible for the CPA through UMPI. I have the Sophia credits (I got them before I really knew specifically that I wanted the CPA designation and they helped me get back into the school/studying/online mindset after being out of school for a while). 

UMPI YourPace is competency based. Terms are 8 weeks and you can take as many classes as you are able to during that 8-week period for one set price ($1,400). Materials are self-contained, so you don’t have to buy books and don’t have to pay proctoring fees. Grades are based on your final exam/paper/project. 

UMPI has 2 accounting options: a BA in Accounting and a BA in Business Administration with a concentration in accounting. Either would provide you with the required hours to be eligible to sit for the NJ CPA exam. (There is also a BLS with accounting minor which I suppose you could do as well, but I would lean strongly toward the 2 other options). 

I don’t think there is a sample degree plan on here for maxing alt credit for the BA in Accounting, but you could adjust the BA in Business Admin (Management and Leadership) for the BABA Accounting pretty easily. The Gen Eds and business admin core would be the same, but the concentration would be different.  UMPI seems to be pretty reasonable/generous with Sophia and Study credits. 

Here is the link for the Management and Leadership thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-for-3-222

If you look at that SmartSheet, you can skip lines 31, 45, 46, 48, 49, 52 as those are specific to the management and leadership concentration. You would need the courses in the accounting concentration. A number of these (Intermediate I and II, Cost, and Advanced) are available through Study.com: https://study.com/college/school/umpi.html

It is also worth mentioning that there are some things that have been learned about making degree completion through UMPI a little easier. If it is of interest to you, definitely read through more of the UMPI threads to figure out your best plan. 

If you wanted to do the BA in Accounting, I am sure you could build a workable plan for that as well. 

You have to complete at least 10 courses/competencies through UMPI. For either of the UMPI degrees, you will likely end up doing more than that but should be able to get it to where you would need to complete 15 or so courses at UMPI. Assuming you are reasonably quick/motivated, you should be able to get that done in 2-3 terms. So, you would be looking at $2,800-4,200 plus Sophia/study/IC costs, assuming no pell grant, tuition reimbursement, etc. 

Since you are not yet 20, you could spend the next few months getting all of your alt credits out of the way. Since UMPI starts a new session roughly every 8 week, you wouldn’t have to wait long after your birthday to get started. 

I am not necessarily recommend UMPI (or saying it’s a bad choice for you), I am just trying to provide information. There is something to be said for having a degree from a nearby/in-state school. If you plan to stay in NJ or a neighboring state, being part of that alumni network could pay dividends.

Thanks for sharing all that! I really appreciate that. I am not sure if I plan to stay in the NJ area and I wonder with this kind of learning how to even develop an alumni network. The cost looks very attractive compared to TESU.

Does anyone know if sdc if all three accounting 301, 302, and 303 work for the tesu bs or bsba accounting ?
Accounting 301, 302, and 303 all transfer to TESU: https://study.com/college/school/thomas-...rsity.html
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(04-30-2023, 05:14 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Accounting 301, 302, and 303 all transfer to TESU: https://study.com/college/school/thomas-...rsity.html
Yes Rachel thanks , I apologize I’m not always clear with what I’m asking , but do you think/ believe that they will all transfer into the program for the AOS and accounting requirements ?
In other words will 9 credits be awarded to the aos ?
Yes. They are all accounting UL courses at TESU. The wiki should have info on where they'll go.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Okay great thank you !

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 279 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 8 182 03-25-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Piwi737
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Plan Questions Aurelijus 10 411 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM
  UMPI plan iggym32 3 215 03-20-2024, 05:52 PM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 371 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Interim & Future Plan - Machine Learning mweichert 6 341 03-18-2024, 03:45 AM
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Degree Plan, potentially transferring ~50 Credits chrsghs 17 783 03-14-2024, 06:05 PM
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 853 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre
  Feedback Request on Degree Plan: UMPI BA in Project Management FM1 23 1,577 03-14-2024, 10:48 AM
Last Post: skite
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 629 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts