Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please review my BSBA Accounting degree plan
Planning on the Accounting/CPA pathway through TESU, so I don't really have any free electives that are "free." to put the fun/free credits in. Smile My completed courses are in italics. Does this look right to you guys?

BSBA in Accounting/CPA
I. General Education Requirements
A. Intellectual and Practical Skills 15

Written Communication - College Comp CLEP
Oral Communication - Public Speaking DSST
Quantitative Literacy - College Algebra Saylor
Information Literacy - A&I Lit CLEP
B. Civic and Global Learning 9
Diversity - Intro Sociology CLEP
Ethics - Business Ethic DSST or Saylor
Civic Engagement - American Government CLEP
C. Knowledge of Human Cultures 9
Social Science & History CLEP
Human Growth & Development CLEP

D. Understanding the Physical and Natural World 6
Intro Cellular Mollecular Biology Saylor
Intro Computing DSST or Info Systems Computer App CLEP
E. Mathematics 6
Intro Statistics ALEKS or Statistics DSST
College Mathematics CLEP
F. General Education Electives 15
Intro Psych CLEP
US His I & II CLEP
College Mathematics CLEP (3 split)
A&I Lit CLEP (3 split if TESU keeps it at 6)

II. Professional Business Requirements 36
Financial Accounting - Saylor
Managerial Accounting - TECEP
Business Law - Saylor
Principles of Management CLEP
Computer Concepts and Applications/Introduction to Computers/CIS - Saylor
Introduction to Marketing - Saylor
Principles of Finance - DSST
Business in Society or International Management - TECEP
Macroeconomics - Saylor
Microeconomics - Saylor
Business/Managerial Communications - Saylor
Strategic Management - TECEP

I copied Sanatone's plan for the business requirements, because I want to try the Saylor route and see if I can wing it. I haven't planned out my AOS yet...

I have five DSSTs tentatively on this plan, four of which their acceptance by TESU is expiring on Dec 31st this year. Should I knock them out quickly to get them transferred into TESU before then, or are the alternatives doable enough to easily replace them? The three TECEPs should easily work for keeping me enrolled either way...

Any input on which of these are easier?
Business Ethics DSST {expiring} or Saylor
Intro Computing DSST or Info Systems Computer App CLEP
Intro Statistics ALEKS or Statistics DSST {expiring}
BSBA Accounting at TESU - 121/121
Graduated June 2018!
You could replace the Business Ethics DSST with any other ethics course, the free one from the Institutes will also work. There's also one from Saylor.
Intro to Computing DSST was easy (to me), but there are plenty of alternatives including the CLEP and TECEP (also easy).
Statistics DSST can be replaced with several different courses, I would do ALEKS for the price. There's also a TECEP, SL course, & Saylor course.

The rest looks good.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
If you are going for speed for statistics you may want to consider the SL course as Aleks is pretty much applying the concepts but do not walk you through the full concepts unless you literally have the program go through each problem for you and then you would have to keep copies of the explanations in order to follow the concepts. Aleks just requires alot of repetition to move on to the next topic.

I think you could also do Straighterline's Business Ethics course instead of the DSST unless you need to get more UL credit for that course specifically.
dfrecore Wrote:You could replace the Business Ethics DSST with any other ethics course, the free one from the Institutes will also work. There's also one from Saylor.

Is the free ethics course considered business ethics or just general ethics? I only ask bc TESU says they strongly recommend that all business students take a business ethics course. I'll definitely look into Saylor's and Straighterline's...

superzim Wrote:If you are going for speed for statistics you may want to consider the SL course as Aleks is pretty much applying the concepts but do not walk you through the full concepts unless you literally have the program go through each problem for you and then you would have to keep copies of the explanations in order to follow the concepts. Aleks just requires alot of repetition to move on to the next topic.

I've heard this about Aleks statistics...I may do my own study beforehand though and then take the course once I understand the concept well. Are SL courses at your own pace?

Thanks for the input!
Graduated June 2018!
SL courses are at your own pace plus from what I been reading from older threads on the forum the book that they use for the class explains the concepts better just don't expect the online quizes for each chapter to prep you for the graded exams as the questions are randomized and not straight from the book far as specific examples.
keepsingin Wrote:Is the free ethics course considered business ethics or just general ethics? I only ask bc TESU says they strongly recommend that all business students take a business ethics course.

It transfers in as business ethics. Don't expect to learn too much about business ethics through the course, though.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I'll definitely do the free course then. Thanks for the info on SL...

The DSST Principles of Finance's acceptance by TESU is expiring on Dec 31st this year. Should I try to knock it out quickly to get it transferred into TESU before then, or is there a reasonable alternative? The only one I found is Pearson's Introduction to Finance. I don't know anything about Pearson though... Any ideas on what I should do?
Graduated June 2018!
keepsingin Wrote:I'll definitely do the free course then. Thanks for the info on SL...

The DSST Principles of Finance's acceptance by TESU is expiring on Dec 31st this year. Should I try to knock it out quickly to get it transferred into TESU before then, or is there a reasonable alternative? The only one I found is Pearson's Introduction to Finance. I don't know anything about Pearson though... Any ideas on what I should do?

If its like the one for COSC I think Penn Foster's Financial management my count but I could be mistaken.
keepsingin Wrote:I'll definitely do the free course then. Thanks for the info on SL...

There's also the Penn Foster Financial Management course. 5 exams + 1 unproctored final. Some people say it is really easy and they fly through it in a couple of days. I found it harder, and it took me about 12 days (2 days per exam). You can search this forum for more details.

But you can still take the DSST. As long as you take it by the last day, it will count.

I don't think a lot of people here have taken and Pearson/Propero courses, as it's more expensive than most other options. Although now that PF has raised their prices, that's no longer the case.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks I'll look into it... Smile
Graduated June 2018!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,464 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,566 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 483 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 772 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,184 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,706 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 954 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 618 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia