Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please tell me which math to take!
(06-18-2018, 12:32 PM)katelynn Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 09:07 AM)allvia Wrote:
(06-16-2018, 11:44 PM)katelynn Wrote: Okay, here's my problem. I know I need 3 maths, at least one being Stats. I thought I had read on here NOT to take Intermediate Algebra because it's a duplicate for College Algebra. Because of this, I ended up taking College Algebra AND College Algebra with Trig (both through ALEKS). Tonight I found out they're duplicates and you can imagine my reaction. Anyway, I got over it and tested out of Intermediate Algebra a few hours ago. Before I screw up again, can someone tell me what to do next? Which ALEKS stats course do I take? After finishing one of those, will that cover the math portion of the TESU BSBA? Thanks in advance.

You do not need 3 math courses for the TESU BSBA, you need 2 - it is just they are a specific two that are required.

If you already have the College Algebra, then you only need the Stats for the TESU BSBA.  You can take any of the ACE approved Statistics to meet that requirement, as all the ALEKS Statistics courses duplicate each other at TESU. The currently ACE approved (until 7/31/18) options for Statistics are; Introduction to Statistics, Business Statistics or Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences.

Also, make sure your ALEKS credits have been added to your ACE transcript before starting a new ALEKS course.

Thanks so much for clearing that up for me. I started Intro to Statistics yesterday, and I'm nearly halfway through. Unfortunately I only scored 9% on my initial assessment and am unable to force another one. Hopefully I'll manage to maintain a steady pace from here and finish rather soon. 

By any chance, do you know if any of the business courses on ALEKS will work for the TESU BSBA? There's a bunch of courses on there but I haven't read any recommendations for them on this forum.

You can force an assessment from the parent account, but it probably won't do you much good if you're only at 9%.  If you'd gotten a 68%, I'd say try that, but not at 9%.

Only a few of the math courses are ACE-approved.  Everything else you can take if you want for the same fee, but they're not worth college credit.

Make sure when you take a course that it says "ACE" in green/blue next to it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • katelynn
(06-18-2018, 12:45 PM)MNomadic Wrote: The ALEKS business courses are not ACE approved(except for business statistics which duplicates with intro to statistics anyway) so won't work in the TESU BSBA.

Oh dang, I keep forgetting to check first for ACE approval. Sorry about that. Thanks for letting me know.
CLEP college mathematics is easy, 6 credit hours

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
[-] The following 1 user Likes richland's post:
  • katelynn
(06-18-2018, 12:47 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-18-2018, 12:32 PM)katelynn Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 09:07 AM)allvia Wrote:
(06-16-2018, 11:44 PM)katelynn Wrote: Okay, here's my problem. I know I need 3 maths, at least one being Stats. I thought I had read on here NOT to take Intermediate Algebra because it's a duplicate for College Algebra. Because of this, I ended up taking College Algebra AND College Algebra with Trig (both through ALEKS). Tonight I found out they're duplicates and you can imagine my reaction. Anyway, I got over it and tested out of Intermediate Algebra a few hours ago. Before I screw up again, can someone tell me what to do next? Which ALEKS stats course do I take? After finishing one of those, will that cover the math portion of the TESU BSBA? Thanks in advance.

You do not need 3 math courses for the TESU BSBA, you need 2 - it is just they are a specific two that are required.

If you already have the College Algebra, then you only need the Stats for the TESU BSBA.  You can take any of the ACE approved Statistics to meet that requirement, as all the ALEKS Statistics courses duplicate each other at TESU. The currently ACE approved (until 7/31/18) options for Statistics are; Introduction to Statistics, Business Statistics or Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences.

Also, make sure your ALEKS credits have been added to your ACE transcript before starting a new ALEKS course.

Thanks so much for clearing that up for me. I started Intro to Statistics yesterday, and I'm nearly halfway through. Unfortunately I only scored 9% on my initial assessment and am unable to force another one. Hopefully I'll manage to maintain a steady pace from here and finish rather soon. 

By any chance, do you know if any of the business courses on ALEKS will work for the TESU BSBA? There's a bunch of courses on there but I haven't read any recommendations for them on this forum.

You can force an assessment from the parent account, but it probably won't do you much good if you're only at 9%.  If you'd gotten a 68%, I'd say try that, but not at 9%.

Only a few of the math courses are ACE-approved.  Everything else you can take if you want for the same fee, but they're not worth college credit.

Make sure when you take a course that it says "ACE" in green/blue next to it.

I went into the parent account and re-assigned myself to the Intro to Stats course in the hopes of triggering another assessment, but it kept putting me back to the point I left off at, nine percent. My plan was to take my first assessment just to see what the material was, so that I would know what to study for. After studying for a while, I would force another assessment to attempt to make somewhat of a dent in the 70%. I didn't know that I would end up getting stuck with my first score. I've tried to look up how else to force another one, but I haven't found anything. I'm confident I could test out of most of the course if only I could take the assessment once more.
(06-18-2018, 01:37 PM)katelynn Wrote: I went into the parent account and re-assigned myself to the Intro to Stats course in the hopes of triggering another assessment, but it kept putting me back to the point I left off at, nine percent. My plan was to take my first assessment just to see what the material was, so that I would know what to study for. After studying for a while, I would force another assessment to attempt to make somewhat of a dent in the 70%. I didn't know that I would end up getting stuck with my first score. I've tried to look up how else to force another one, but I haven't found anything. I'm confident I could test out of most of the course if only I could take the assessment once more.

You can force an assessment without re-assigning yourself into the course (which will always put you back where you were).  It's a completely different process.

You can also try one of the other Stats courses - they are all the same credit at TESU.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
  • warriortaupou
(06-17-2018, 09:07 AM)allvia Wrote: Also, make sure your ALEKS credits have been added to your ACE transcript before starting a new ALEKS course.

Not to really hijack the thread, but I don't think this is an issue now. I have read on here about this and a few other things that seem to be different than it used to be. I could be wrong but I'll give my experience with them for the last couple of weeks.
When I took my first assessment with Aleks for Algebra I got a 69%. When I forced a new assessment every question it gave was crazy. I didn't gain anything. I read somewhere on here that you could start a different class and start that assessment and when you went back to the original it would give you another initial assessment. I attempted that and it did not work.
I just clicked I don't know on a bunch and ended up with 24% in that course. When i went back, I picked up algeba right where it left off.
After a day and a half of going through the path I forced an assessment and managed to get my % over 70. I added it to ACE and then jumped to precalculus. The email from ACE came in while I was taking the precalculus initial assessment.
I can go back to algebra, precalculus, or that other class and see where I stand and pick right up where I left off.
I just took a screenshot of what it looks like on my master account. I noticed it says initial assessment was 67% for algebra. I swear I thought it was 69%. I know it was actually because it made me mad for being that close.
Anyway, if you look at the dates and times of assessments you will see I bounced around a couple of days

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot_20180618-210051.png (Size: 208.79 KB / Downloads: 12)
(06-18-2018, 09:04 PM)xjarhead1999 Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 09:07 AM)allvia Wrote: Also, make sure your ALEKS credits have been added to your ACE transcript before starting a new ALEKS course.

Not to really hijack the thread, but I don't think this is an issue now. I have read on here about this and a few other things that seem to be different than it used to be. I could be wrong but I'll give my experience with them for the last couple of weeks.
When I took my first assessment with Aleks for Algebra I got a 69%. When I forced a new assessment every question it gave was crazy. I didn't gain anything. I read somewhere on here that you could start a different class and start that assessment and when you went back to the original it would give you another initial assessment. I attempted that and it did not work.
I just clicked I don't know on a bunch and ended up with 24% in that course. When i went back, I picked up algeba right where it left off.
After a day and a half of going through the path I forced an assessment and managed to get my % over 70. I added it to ACE and then jumped to precalculus. The email from ACE came in while I was taking the precalculus initial assessment.
I can go back to algebra, precalculus, or that other class and see where I stand and pick right up where I left off.
I just took a screenshot of what it looks like on my master account. I noticed it says initial assessment was 67% for algebra. I swear I thought it was 69%. I know it was actually because it made me mad for being that close.
Anyway, if you look at the dates and times of assessments you will see I bounced around a couple of days

Yes, I was saying that you can't leave a course and then come back to it and expect to restart it - you are right back where you left off.  The only thing that might get you in a better place would be if you left one of the stats courses, and signed up for a different one - since they're 3 different courses, it does make a difference.
  • warriortaupou
(06-18-2018, 01:40 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 10:42 AM)acamp Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 01:50 AM)d frecore Wrote: For ALEKS, the problem with Intermediate Algebra is not that it duplicates College Algebra (it doesn't), but that it's expired - meaning it's not ACE-approved any longer.

So, you can take Precalculus, I know that's available, and not a duplicate of College Algebra at all.

Also, it doesn't sound like you are putting the courses onto your ACE transcript - otherwise you would have known that Intermediate Algebra was expired.  If I were you, I would go and put College Algebra on there now, and then when it shows up, take Precalc.  Then Stats after Precalc is on your ACE transcript.

Correct me if I am wrong, but based on TESU’s evalfor you can only receive math credits for only MAT 129 (Precalculus) and Statistics from all of the current aleks courses.  Below was the email from TESU:

ALEK0006 Trigonometry would transfer in as MAT-129 which duplicates ALEK0004 College Algebra with Trig & ALEK0005 Precalculus.

ALEK0009 Statistics for Behavioral Sci would transfer in as STA-201 and duplicates Business Statistics and Intro to Statistics.”

Unless something has changed recently, you should be able to receive credit for the following 3 courses at TESU right now:

MAT-121 College Algebra
ALEK-0003 (College Algebra)

MAT-129 Precalculus
ALEK-0004 (College Algebra w/Trig)
ALEK-0005 (Precalculus)
ALEK-0006 (Trigonometry)

STA-201 Principles of Statistics
ALEK-0007 (Introduction to Statistics)
ALEK-0008 (Business Statistics)
ALEK-0009 (Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences)

However, there is a possibility that ALEK-0008 and ALEK-0009 may come in as an UL stats course now (or will in the near future) assuming TESU is actually following through with their new mandate to give equivalent level credit in assessments moving forward. They already started this for LL credits, we don't know for sure if they're doing it yet for UL credit as well. Not that an UL stats course is needed unless you're doing a math major.

There is also a possibility that ALEK-0002 (Intermediate Algebra) may return since Aleks is supposedly working on getting that renewed as well. That would add an additional course to the list (should come in as MAT-115 Intermediate Algebra)

I completed the pre-assesment for College Algebra at Aleks yesterday with a score of 70%.  Last night it was approved by ACE.  This morning I passed Pre-Calculus with a score of 71%.  When I submitted it to Ace, I made a mistake as to the date of completion (May instead of June).  ACE rejected it, but Aleks also contacted me saying that I could not receive ACE credit for both College Algebra and Pre-Calculus.  Here is what they said.  

Quote:Due to the high level of topic overlap for several ALEKS courses, ACE is limiting some combinations of courses it will accept for credit.
As you have already received credit for College Algebra, your current request falls into this area. The circled courses below are not eligible due to your completion of College Algebra:

(They included a picture of the list linked below and circled the two combinations;
College Algebra and College Algebra with Trigonometry
College Algebra and Precalculus)

I edited the request, fixed the date, and was rejected again.  

According to this list, (link here) it appears that the only two Math courses that do not duplicate are College Algebra and Trigonometry.  Has anyone else had trouble with ACE refusing credit for these combinations or is this new?
(06-19-2018, 12:33 PM)ConqueringCollege Wrote:
(06-18-2018, 01:40 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 10:42 AM)acamp Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 01:50 AM)d frecore Wrote: For ALEKS, the problem with Intermediate Algebra is not that it duplicates College Algebra (it doesn't), but that it's expired - meaning it's not ACE-approved any longer.

So, you can take Precalculus, I know that's available, and not a duplicate of College Algebra at all.

Also, it doesn't sound like you are putting the courses onto your ACE transcript - otherwise you would have known that Intermediate Algebra was expired.  If I were you, I would go and put College Algebra on there now, and then when it shows up, take Precalc.  Then Stats after Precalc is on your ACE transcript.

Correct me if I am wrong, but based on TESU’s evalfor you can only receive math credits for only MAT 129 (Precalculus) and Statistics from all of the current aleks courses.  Below was the email from TESU:

ALEK0006 Trigonometry would transfer in as MAT-129 which duplicates ALEK0004 College Algebra with Trig & ALEK0005 Precalculus.

ALEK0009 Statistics for Behavioral Sci would transfer in as STA-201 and duplicates Business Statistics and Intro to Statistics.”

Unless something has changed recently, you should be able to receive credit for the following 3 courses at TESU right now:

MAT-121 College Algebra
ALEK-0003 (College Algebra)

MAT-129 Precalculus
ALEK-0004 (College Algebra w/Trig)
ALEK-0005 (Precalculus)
ALEK-0006 (Trigonometry)

STA-201 Principles of Statistics
ALEK-0007 (Introduction to Statistics)
ALEK-0008 (Business Statistics)
ALEK-0009 (Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences)

However, there is a possibility that ALEK-0008 and ALEK-0009 may come in as an UL stats course now (or will in the near future) assuming TESU is actually following through with their new mandate to give equivalent level credit in assessments moving forward. They already started this for LL credits, we don't know for sure if they're doing it yet for UL credit as well. Not that an UL stats course is needed unless you're doing a math major.

There is also a possibility that ALEK-0002 (Intermediate Algebra) may return since Aleks is supposedly working on getting that renewed as well. That would add an additional course to the list (should come in as MAT-115 Intermediate Algebra)

I completed the pre-assesment for College Algebra at Aleks yesterday with a score of 70%.  Last night it was approved by ACE.  This morning I passed Pre-Calculus with a score of 71%.  When I submitted it to Ace, I made a mistake as to the date of completion (May instead of June).  ACE rejected it, but Aleks also contacted me saying that I could not receive ACE credit for both College Algebra and Pre-Calculus.  Here is what they said.  

Quote:Due to the high level of topic overlap for several ALEKS courses, ACE is limiting some combinations of courses it will accept for credit.
As you have already received credit for College Algebra, your current request falls into this area. The circled courses below are not eligible due to your completion of College Algebra:

(They included a picture of the list linked below and circled the two combinations;
College Algebra and College Algebra with Trigonometry
College Algebra and Precalculus)

I edited the request, fixed the date, and was rejected again.  

According to this list, (link here) it appears that the only two Math courses that do not duplicate are College Algebra and Trigonometry.  Has anyone else had trouble with ACE refusing credit for these combinations or is this new?

We knew you couldn't combine College Algebra and College Algebra w/Trig. I didn't realize there was a restriction on CA+Precalculus until your post, but I suppose it makes sense. Either way, you can still take CA and Trig separately, and then add one of the stats courses to get credit for all 3 math courses.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(06-19-2018, 05:50 PM)Merlin Wrote: We knew you couldn't combine College Algebra and College Algebra w/Trig. I didn't realize there was a restriction on CA+Precalculus until your post, but I suppose it makes sense. Either way, you can still take CA and Trig separately, and then add one of the stats courses to get credit for all 3 math courses.

Do you have a recommendation for the statistics course options?  I'm thinking about doing the Business Statistics course since it might transfer in as an upper level course.   Do you know if that one is much more difficult than, or about the same as, the Intro to Statistics?   This is for someone who has not previously taken Statistics.   Also, is it reasonable, possible, or likely to be able to pass this in a month for someone without Statistics knowledge, but with a solid foundation in Math, with much time and focus put into it until July 31st?   I know that's totally subjective, but I'm just looking for a general idea.   Thanks so much for your advice and insight!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,843 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Any good self-paced option for math such as Calculus II? zcao15 3 1,012 06-11-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com Math 108: Discrete Mathematics - Optional Quiz and final exam Titan_s 5 2,120 11-11-2022, 10:13 AM
Last Post: simonbellfi
  Need 12 Math Credits - Please Help (and read :) ) acamp 48 8,911 07-08-2022, 08:47 PM
Last Post: creationstory
  Math Course Giantzebra 18 3,485 05-29-2022, 10:47 PM
Last Post: StudentOLife
  Coopersmith Upper Level Math? eriehiker 19 4,821 05-27-2022, 08:06 PM
  Study.com Discrete Math prereqs decibel 18 3,724 03-16-2022, 12:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Algebra - which provider for math idiot back2schoolin22 8 1,346 02-02-2022, 08:40 PM
  SDC | Discrete Math akr680 2 1,261 08-16-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Math Question lidel 8 1,044 06-17-2021, 11:18 AM
Last Post: lidel