Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please tell me which math to take!
(06-20-2018, 11:13 AM)ConqueringCollege Wrote:
(06-19-2018, 05:50 PM)Merlin Wrote: We knew you couldn't combine College Algebra and College Algebra w/Trig. I didn't realize there was a restriction on CA+Precalculus until your post, but I suppose it makes sense. Either way, you can still take CA and Trig separately, and then add one of the stats courses to get credit for all 3 math courses.

Do you have a recommendation for the statistics course options?  I'm thinking about doing the Business Statistics course since it might transfer in as an upper level course.   Do you know if that one is much more difficult than, or about the same as, the Intro to Statistics?   This is for someone who has not previously taken Statistics.   Also, is it reasonable, possible, or likely to be able to pass this in a month for someone without Statistics knowledge, but with a solid foundation in Math, with much time and focus put into it until July 31st?   I know that's totally subjective, but I'm just looking for a general idea.   Thanks so much for your advice and insight!

I did Intro to Stats in 2 weeks, so it can be done. It's definitely not an easy course though. I would highly recommend watching all of John Wood's videos on youtube as the information he provides about the ALEKS calculator is an absolute necessity.
[-] The following 2 users Like bezzina's post:
  • katelynn, Muldoon
(06-20-2018, 11:49 AM)bezzina Wrote:
(06-20-2018, 11:13 AM)ConqueringCollege Wrote: Do you have a recommendation for the statistics course options?  I'm thinking about doing the Business Statistics course since it might transfer in as an upper level course.   Do you know if that one is much more difficult than, or about the same as, the Intro to Statistics?   This is for someone who has not previously taken Statistics.   Also, is it reasonable, possible, or likely to be able to pass this in a month for someone without Statistics knowledge, but with a solid foundation in Math, with much time and focus put into it until July 31st?   I know that's totally subjective, but I'm just looking for a general idea.   Thanks so much for your advice and insight!

I did Intro to Stats in 2 weeks, so it can be done. It's definitely not an easy course though. I would highly recommend watching all of John Wood's videos on youtube as the information he provides about the ALEKS calculator is an absolute necessity.

Thanks!
(06-20-2018, 11:49 AM)bezzina Wrote: ConqueringCollege
Do you have a recommendation for the statistics course options?  I'm thinking about doing the Business Statistics course since it might transfer in as an upper level course.   Do you know if that one is much more difficult than, or about the same as, the Intro to Statistics?   This is for someone who has not previously taken Statistics.   Also, is it reasonable, possible, or likely to be able to pass this in a month for someone without Statistics knowledge, but with a solid foundation in Math, with much time and focus put into it until July 31st?   I know that's totally subjective, but I'm just looking for a general idea.   Thanks so much for your advice and insight!

Thank you!  Would you recommend watching the videos before starting the statistics course?
(06-18-2018, 01:20 PM)richland Wrote: CLEP college mathematics is easy, 6 credit hours

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

Won't get the BSBA requirements done, but you can use the credit in the Gen Ed electives portion if you want.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-16-2018, 11:44 PM)katelynn Wrote: Okay, here's my problem. I know I need 3 maths, at least one being Stats. I thought I had read on here NOT to take Intermediate Algebra because it's a duplicate for College Algebra. Because of this, I ended up taking College Algebra AND College Algebra with Trig (both through ALEKS). Tonight I found out they're duplicates and you can imagine my reaction. Anyway, I got over it and tested out of Intermediate Algebra a few hours ago. Before I screw up again, can someone tell me what to do next? Which ALEKS stats course do I take? After finishing one of those, will that cover the math portion of the TESU BSBA? Thanks in advance.

How long did it take you to test out? How many problems/questions did you have? Anyone, is welcome to respond based on their experience...thanks.

I ask because my son has been taking ALEKS Precalculus and Algebra with Trig - Initial Knowledge Checks. He's retaken each one now twice and hasn't passed any. I told him to take ALEKS... and based on info I read on the forums, I understood that the questions can be anywhere from 24-30 questions. However, each knowledge check he's done has been 60+ questions. He says the questions get tougher, as he goes on. He does answer each question/problem and doesn't skip the questions, since he's trying to attain the 70% passing score for ACE credit. He did work through the pie chart on his own to "study" for his "retake" but the work he did one the pie hasn't translated to his knowledge check assessment. 

He's actually normally great at Math and I'm surprised he is having such a difficult time. I thought this would be better than CLEP since the facility is more than a couple of hours drive away.

<Edited for clarification>
BA, Religion, AMU, 2019, Summa Cum Laude & Class Speaker
AA, General Ed., AMU, 2016

RA: Northern Virginia CC; St. Leo Univ.

Alt Credit:
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
TEEX: Cyber Security for Everyone; Cyber Security for IT Professionals
SL: Intro. to Religion (the class 1 transferred to AMU-wish I had known sooner)

Angel 
Unlisted USArmy and Fed govt prof credentials
(07-15-2018, 05:26 PM)warriortaupou Wrote:
(06-16-2018, 11:44 PM)katelynn Wrote: Okay, here's my problem. I know I need 3 maths, at least one being Stats. I thought I had read on here NOT to take Intermediate Algebra because it's a duplicate for College Algebra. Because of this, I ended up taking College Algebra AND College Algebra with Trig (both through ALEKS). Tonight I found out they're duplicates and you can imagine my reaction. Anyway, I got over it and tested out of Intermediate Algebra a few hours ago. Before I screw up again, can someone tell me what to do next? Which ALEKS stats course do I take? After finishing one of those, will that cover the math portion of the TESU BSBA? Thanks in advance.

How long did it take you to test out? How many problems/questions did you have? Anyone, is welcome to respond based on their experience...thanks.

I ask because my son has been taking ALEKS Precalculus and Algebra with Trig - Initial Knowledge Checks. He's retaken each one now twice and hasn't passed any. I told him to take ALEKS... and based on info I read on the forums, I understood that the questions can be anywhere from 24-30 questions. However, each knowledge check he's done has been 60+ questions. He says the questions get tougher, as he goes on. He does answer each question/problem and doesn't skip the questions, since he's trying to attain the 70% passing score for ACE credit. He did work through the pie chart on his own to "study" for his "retake" but the work he did one the pie hasn't translated to his knowledge check assessment. 

He's actually normally great at Math and I'm surprised he is having such a difficult time. I thought this would be better than CLEP since the facility is more than a couple of hours drive away.

I don't understand about him retaking the Initial Knowledge Check.   He should take the Initial Knowledge Check once, then go through the program to learn the material that he didn't answer properly in the Initial Knowledge Check.   After learning approximately 20 new topics, or about 5 hours worth of material, he will be presented with another Knowledge Check.  It will assess his knowledge of the new material, with potentially some older topics for review.   Everything he passes on the second knowledge assessment becomes 'mastered' and his percentage completed should increase.   He then would study and learn more material and take another assessment .... repeating that process until he reaches 70% mastered and then he can request ACE credit.  

If he studies through the pie chart material, but then answers incorrectly on the assessment, that material will not be considered "mastered" and will not be added to his final score.   He must learn the material and answer correctly on the knowledge assessments in order to see his "percent mastered" increase.   He doesn't have to reach 70% on the initial knowledge check ... as long as he learns the material and answers it correctly on a subsequent knowledge check, his total score will increase.   Once that 'mastered' percentage or his "progress" reaches 70%, he can request ACE credit.   

Currently, "College Algebra" and "Trigonometry" are the only two math courses for ACE credit that do not duplicate on ALEKS.  You can also add in one of the Statistics courses.   So that's three ALEKS courses for ACE credit.   They have a page that lists the duplicate courses on the ALEKS website.   (https://www.aleks.com/independent/parents/ace_credit)

It used to be the case that if you changed courses, your progress would be lost/erased in the previous course, in which case you would want to complete one course and request credit before changing to a new course.   I'm not sure if that is still the case since we have not changed courses before receiving credit. 

All of our knowledge assessments have been 30 questions or less.  

Out of three children who used Saxon for math through Calculus, they completed College Algebra in 1-5 days, and they completed Trigonometry in 1-5 days.    That was all they did for those days, though.   Some tested out immediately and another spent about 12 hours, not including the assessments.  

I hope that helps!
(07-15-2018, 05:26 PM)warriortaupou Wrote:

I think ALEKS is harder than others, what school is he wanting to go to?  Because if they will take ACE/NCCRS, then you might want to look at other providers - Study.com, SL, CLEP, DSST, TECEP, etc.

I struggled through ALEKS once I got past Intermediate Algebra, I wish I'd just done another way and gotten it over with years ago.

If you're not already pretty good, ALEKS can take a really long time to get through.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Zippadeedoodah
I spoke too soon, he literally just finished the Knowledge Check for Trig, YAY, seconds ago. He started this morning around 9ish am and just finished 9:27 pm. He passed with a 74%, and we'll take it Smile . He said he decided not to bother with the last question because he had been on it for 30+ minutes trying to figure it out. He said the questions are usually like 6 steps....he had a total of 72 questions.
BA, Religion, AMU, 2019, Summa Cum Laude & Class Speaker
AA, General Ed., AMU, 2016

RA: Northern Virginia CC; St. Leo Univ.

Alt Credit:
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
TEEX: Cyber Security for Everyone; Cyber Security for IT Professionals
SL: Intro. to Religion (the class 1 transferred to AMU-wish I had known sooner)

Angel 
Unlisted USArmy and Fed govt prof credentials
(06-18-2018, 12:32 PM)katelynn Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 09:07 AM)allvia Wrote:

You do not need 3 math courses for the TESU BSBA, you need 2 - it is just they are a specific two that are required.

If you already have the College Algebra, then you only need the Stats for the TESU BSBA.  You can take any of the ACE approved Statistics to meet that requirement, as all the ALEKS Statistics courses duplicate each other at TESU. The currently ACE approved (until 7/31/18) options for Statistics are; Introduction to Statistics, Business Statistics or Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences.

Also, make sure your ALEKS credits have been added to your ACE transcript before starting a new ALEKS course.

Thanks so much for clearing that up for me. I started Intro to Statistics yesterday, and I'm nearly halfway through. Unfortunately I only scored 9% on my initial assessment and am unable to force another one. Hopefully I'll manage to maintain a steady pace from here and finish rather soon. 

By any chance, do you know if any of the business courses on ALEKS will work for the TESU BSBA? There's a bunch of courses on there but I haven't read any recommendations for them on this forum.

I like your honesty. Don't feel bad, I got destroyed on ALEKS Stats Initial Assessment myself. There are easier options out there from what I can see like Study.com's Stats. With ALEKS possibly losing ACE status again at the end of this month I cut bait and cancelled my ALEKS account. I knew I could not finish in time. If ALEKS gets another extension then I may reconsider it. Just know that you have other options that are potentially easier or at-least less time consuming if things don't work out with ALEKS.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
I just completed Aleks  Intro to Stats.    Longest/Hardest course I've ever taken.     Some of the ways they teach are 100% different than how I learned them years ago.   It was a nightmare, I'd rather run barefoot across Hot Coals & Broken Glass than do another ALEKS course.    Good news is for $20 I completed Algebra, Trigonometry and Intro to Stats all in 1 month.     However the bad news is the 1 month of my summer has been inside at my computer.

So Glad I'm done with Math Courses FOREVER !
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimmy999's post:
  • AwardTour

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,410 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Any good self-paced option for math such as Calculus II? zcao15 3 957 06-11-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com Math 108: Discrete Mathematics - Optional Quiz and final exam Titan_s 5 2,073 11-11-2022, 10:13 AM
Last Post: simonbellfi
  Need 12 Math Credits - Please Help (and read :) ) acamp 48 8,842 07-08-2022, 08:47 PM
Last Post: creationstory
  Math Course Giantzebra 18 3,428 05-29-2022, 10:47 PM
Last Post: StudentOLife
  Coopersmith Upper Level Math? eriehiker 19 4,775 05-27-2022, 08:06 PM
  Study.com Discrete Math prereqs decibel 18 3,626 03-16-2022, 12:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Algebra - which provider for math idiot back2schoolin22 8 1,315 02-02-2022, 08:40 PM
  SDC | Discrete Math akr680 2 1,236 08-16-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Math Question lidel 8 1,033 06-17-2021, 11:18 AM
Last Post: lidel