Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Police seize 10 children from homeschooled family.
BREAKING: Police Seize 10 Children From Homeschool Family Because They’re Off-Grid | Off The Grid News
lavagirl Wrote:BREAKING: Police Seize 10 Children From Homeschool Family Because They’re Off-Grid | Off The Grid News

This has been in the news. You can find her (and her pics) on Facebook as well as lots of video and police interactions. I don't think homeschooling or off-grid is the issue (where you supply your own power, etc) they don't actually have walls even- their residence is made from pallets and tarps. I believe their arrest was from them stealing water off a neighbor's property and when confronted threatened the neighbor with a gun. I don't think this is a lifestyle case, I think it's a case of health and welfare of the children.
Is there a difference between home school and unschool? I taught my son at home but he had an organized curriculum. Though I defend parents rights to choose how they school their children, there must be some minimum of what they are taught to prevent them from becoming a burden on society. It also sounds like it was a mistake for them to advertise their choices to the world. If you choose to live this different from others it is best not to scream, "look at us".

That being said, there are far better ways to handle these situations than to put children in foster homes. The state simply needed to provide a temporary housing situation where the family could remain together while they worked out what needed to be done for the family to stay together. Rather than being confrontational, the situation could be handled proactively.
UptonSinclair Wrote:Is there a difference between home school and unschool? .

Legally, no. Each state sets the homeschool laws, so it's possible to comply using an unschooling philosophy. It's also possible to choose NOT comply with your state's laws, which many people do proudly....of course there are consequences of getting caught.
I think it does homeschooling a disservice to focus on that as to why these children were taken away. From my reading it seems as these children have had an unhealthy and unsafe environment and that they have been warned to make things better.

If the children had a warm space with walls (even cloth walls) with no feces within I would say they were taken away unfairly no matter if they had electricity or unschooled (although it sounds like the version of unschooling they did was unproductive). I just feel that the media has tried to sensationalize this as the government seizing these children because the family lived off the grid or were home-schooled.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
The children were not seized because the parents were off the grid, they were seized because they were in a dangerous situation. Homeschooling was not the issue, neglectfulness on the part of the parents was. I'm glad the authorities have stepped in to protect the children.
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone
Devanna Wrote:The children were not seized because the parents were off the grid, they were seized because they were in a dangerous situation. Homeschooling was not the issue, neglectfulness on the part of the parents was. I'm glad the authorities have stepped in to protect the children.

Exactly- and sometimes people say "homeschool" when what they mean is "no-school" or "truant"
cookderosa Wrote:Exactly- and sometimes people say "homeschool" when what they mean is "no-school" or "truant"

Yes, unfortunately. Sad
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone
cookderosa Wrote:Exactly- and sometimes people say "homeschool" when what they mean is "no-school" or "truant"

Well said cookderosa. I worry that people who claim to be homeschooling while providing no formal instruction for their children do a disservice to true homeschool situations. I think many people go into homeschooling without understanding the commitment required.
UptonSinclair Wrote:Well said cookderosa. I worry that people who claim to be homeschooling while providing no formal instruction for their children do a disservice to true homeschool situations. I think many people go into homeschooling without understanding the commitment required.

Whenever I hear people say how easy it is, I worry that they are probably in for a shock- or their kids are.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Family Moves to Russia to Escape Woke LGBTQ Ideology, But It Doesn't Go Very Well Jonathan Whatley 3 1,290 03-11-2024, 08:04 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Homeschooled Students? Stacie 8 1,082 08-25-2022, 03:25 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  Bus formation outside NRA Children's Museum in Texas bjcheung77 2 550 07-16-2022, 08:47 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Dual Credit at Home: How to Pray for Your Children Printable eriehiker 21 3,755 01-17-2019, 09:05 PM
Last Post: AaressLawless
  Fun news about my homeschooled kid... rebel100 8 1,173 03-24-2016, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Bibby
  Concentrating on school in the midst of family crisis. soliloquy 6 958 01-06-2014, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Bibby
  2013 Family Economics and Discipleship Conference in St. Louis, MO degree4hbia 0 669 03-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Last Post: degree4hbia
  Who's Going to the 2013 Family Economics and Discipleship Conference in St. Louis, MO degree4hbia 3 902 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Last Post: starlinghunter
  Why Police Are Awesome Maniac Craniac 2 846 02-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Last Post: PonyGirl93
  Is anyone a family history buff? Lindagerr 19 3,234 06-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Last Post: NAP