Poll: Have you...
This poll is closed.
Voted and will vote for Obama?
22.58%
7 22.58%
Voted and will not vote again for Obama?
0%
0 0%
Didn't vote for Obama?
77.42%
24 77.42%
Total 31 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Politics
@Learflyer: Wow, very concise summary of the situation.

@Geezer:
Quote:
Quote:Quote:
*If any other of our presidents had doubled the national debt,
Which had taken more than two centuries to accumulate, in one year,
Would you have approved?*

False. Obama did not double the debt in one year. The debt owed to the public was $6.3 trillion the day he took office. A year later, it was $7.8 trillion, and as of June 1, it was $9.7 trillion. That's a huge increase, to be sure, but nothing close to a doubling, either in Obama's first year or in his first two-and-a-half years. The same holds true when looking at the total outstanding debt, which includes both the public debt and money the government owes to itself. That figure was $10.6 trillion on Jan. 20, 2009; a year later, it was $12.3 trillion, and it’s $14.3 trillion today.
Now matter how much or how little they're increasing it, they are still increasing the debt by leaps and bounds. And yup Bush did it and Obama, but I'm not excusing either of them.

Even if we elected Ron Paul as President, it wouldn't fix the many of our biggest problems (and I believe that he knows that). The people need to wake up and elect true Representatives that are willing to stand up for what is right. This may include getting rid of the status quo two party system. When the elected representatives of us focus more on doing their duty rather finding ways to keep their job by always campaigning (jab here at Obama and basically every elected official in office), then things will begin to go in better direction. Notice I did not say it will fix the situation, because nothing will totally "fix" anything.
BSBA in Finance from TESC by fall 2011
Total: 147 credits
It's been a while since I took an American government class but unless somethings changed since the 90's the president does not have the power to increase debt. While the president can ask for anything at the end of the day only congress has the authority to make budgets, spend money or levy taxes. If you are unhappy with the finances of this country maybe you should direct that displeasure toward the correct people your congressperson and your two senators. You do know who your congressional representatives are don't you.
Learflyer Wrote:*If any other of our presidents had doubled the national debt,
Which had taken more than two centuries to accumulate, in one year,
Would you have approved?*

Just sayin'....
Opinion by chain e-mail. This is why political conversations are rarely worthwhile.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and a compass and never knows where he may cast" - Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

"The shortest distance between two points is usually under repair." - Anonymous

[SIZE="1"]CLEP/DSST/ACE credits (39), Total costs $1,383
Principles of Management (71), Principles of Supervision (446), Principles of Marketing (76), Management Information Systems (466), Human Resources Management (67), Intro to Computing (465), Environment & Humanity (69), Technical Writing (65), Intro to Business Law (75), Business Law II (80), Principles of Microeconomics (70), American Government (69), Straighterline Accounting II (90%)

[/SIZE]
I was reading a book about the French Revolution a while back, and I found this quote. Of course, assuming we're headed in the direction of the 1870s French is rather extreme, but I thought this was surprisingly applicable:

Quote:Little needs to be said concerning the political weaknesses of the Old Regime. A government which could not raise adequate revenues clearly revealed its lack of political effectiveness. General confusion and inefficiency prevailed in the royal administration, which consisted of successive layers of offices, bureaus, and agencies that had piled up over many centuries, with jurisdictions that were now ill defined and sometimes contradictory.

I believe it's going to take a lot more than a new president (or giving this one another shot) to redeem this country. I can't help but think that the people are going to have to start thinking for themselves for a real, lasting change. I would be very interested to see what happened if the media was shut down. How would the people react/respond to the candidates then? How would the candidates act? But that's never going to happen, so forget it.:leaving:
~ Laura ~
[SIZE=1]CLEP/DSST
--- 120/120 :hurray:
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature | English Composition w/ Essay | College Mathematics | English Literature | American Literature | Humanities
| Art of the Western World | Western Civilization I | Western Civilization II | History of United States I | History of United States II | Social Sciences and History | Astronomy | Introduction to Computing | Introductory Sociology | Introduction to World Religions | The Civil War and Reconstruction | A History of the Vietnam War | Western Europe Since 1945 | Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union | Introduction to the Modern Middle East | Environment and Humanity | World Conflicts Since 1900 ECE | FEMAs taken: 24 | [COLOR="Navy"]TESC FlashTrack course - "War and American Society."
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Officially graduated on September 9, 2011!!![/SIZE]
I have been voting for almost 40 years, I have voted in every Presidential election I could, I can only think of one time I liked the person I voted for. I was always a registered Democrat until I moved into my small town and found out all local elections were decided in the primaries because no one ran on the democratic ticket. By the time I changed my party affiliation I realized it didn't matter in NJ anyway because by the time they got to our primary the presidential candidates were already decided.

Most years I vote for who I think is the lesser of two evils. Yes I voted for Obama for that reason, I don't know if I will vote for him again it depends on who else is running.

The President can only do so much if the congress will not cooperate. The recent Bull Shoot with everyone fighting for the most TV coverage and no one caring about the little guy and how he/she was going to survive with no Social Security was a prime example of that.

Yes I think there is a lot wrong with our government now, but if you really read your history books you will see that at different times in the history of our nation we have had similar or worse problems with our government.

I don't know how to make things better I just know until you have ALL the facts you can't blame it on just one person.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
@Elinor,

Good quote, but you highlighted the wrong part. We have plenty of money, that's not the issue.

Quote:Little needs to be said concerning the political weaknesses of the Old Regime. A government which could not raise adequate revenues clearly revealed its lack of political effectiveness. General confusion and inefficiency prevailed in the royal administration, which consisted of successive layers of offices, bureaus, and agencies that had piled up over many centuries, with jurisdictions that were now ill defined and sometimes contradictory.

Elinor Wrote:I would be very interested to see what happened if the media was shut down. How would the people react/respond to the candidates then? How would the candidates act? But that's never going to happen, so forget it.:leaving:

I guess it would be better than the media tanking for one candidate over another. People scream about Fox, and yes they are wrong, but why no screaming about the media shilling hard for their favored candidate? Politico admitted on camera the other day that they intentionally eliminated Ron Paul from their stories because they think he has no chance, even though he came in second to Bachmann by only 9/10s of a vote, meaning he essentially tied her for first place.

Regardless of who you support, having the media take sides is dirty and shameful.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
dcan Wrote:@Elinor,

I guess it would be better than the media tanking for one candidate over another. People scream about Fox, and yes they are wrong, but why no screaming about the media shilling hard for their favored candidate? Politico admitted on camera the other day that they intentionally eliminated Ron Paul from their stories because they think he has no chance, even though he came in second to Bachmann by only 9/10s of a vote, meaning he essentially tied her for first place.

Regardless of who you support, having the media take sides is dirty and shameful.

I think that the only way for the media to change is to have us change our viewing habits. I am a raging liberal, yet I refuse to watch MSNBC because of their bias. Even though they are on "my side," I will not support such an obvious slant in journalism. I really think that everyone on both sides of the aisle need to do this. Ratings are really what any TV networks care about. Right now their current tactics are gaining viewers, so we need to make it stop.

Speaking of Ron Paul... here is an article with a link to a Jon Stewart commentary about the issue:
Is the news media treating Ron Paul’s presidential campaign unfairly? | The Cutline - Yahoo! News

Yes Jon Stewart is a liberal comedian, but more recently he's been calling out any media outlet that is being ridiculous regardless of which side they're on.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
burbuja0512 Wrote:Yes Jon Stewart is a liberal comedian, but more recently he's been calling out any media outlet that is being ridiculous regardless of which side they're on.

I have to admit that I have become so disgusted with the media that Jon Stewart is now my only source for political news. :-) It's much easier to laugh at how idiotic it all is than to take it seriously.
Lyanne

DSST (27)
Personal Finance - 448 Astronomy - 61 Civil War and Reconstruction - 68 History of Vietnam War - 68 Substance Abuse - 59 World Religions - 473 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union - 55 Environment and Humanity: Race to Save the Planet -61 Intro to Modern Middle East - 58
CLEP (48)
American Literature-73 American Government-62 U.S. History I - 64 U.S. History II -73 A&I Literature - 75 Western Civ I - 58 Western Civ II - 61 English Literature - 67 Humanities -76 Intro Sociology - 62 Social Sciences & History - 69
Other (43)
English Composition, Literature & Composition, Art Appreciation, General Psychology, Intro to Anthropology, Abnormal Psychology, Travel Agency Operations, Advanced Hospitality (7 credits), Intro Computer Software, Digital Photography, War and American Society, TESC Capstone
ALEKS (3)
Intermediate Algebra

**Not official, but BA History at Thomas Edison State College!!!!!!*
I worry when a lot of people get their education on current events from a comedian that is decidedly partisan.

I tend to get my news from CNN and my commentary from a mix of Fox and MSNBC.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
ryoder Wrote:I worry when a lot of people get their education on current events from a comedian that is decidedly partisan.
Haha.....yeah.
ryoder Wrote:I tend to get my news from CNN and my commentary from a mix of Fox and MSNBC.
I think that main thing is to know your news network's bias (because we all know that they are heavily biased). When I know that CNN, MSNBC, Fox, or some other news group, is biased in a certain way, I just take that into account. But it would be nice to just hear the plain facts about issues once in awhile. I always like having "read between the lines" for the truth about an issue.

Just my two cents.....
BSBA in Finance from TESC by fall 2011
Total: 147 credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Higher Ed & Politics - Russian Style Alpha 0 540 10-13-2021, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Grading and politics davewill 39 2,770 02-11-2021, 05:26 PM
Last Post: dfrecore