Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polk State Accepts Sophia and Alt Credits!
I was doing a search on the board for schools in FL that accepts ACE credits and other alternative credits and of course my search was nil. I recalled someone in a Sophia Learning FB group that Polk State College had accepted all their Sophia credits. I checked out their website to ensure what information they had regarding these types of credits and found gold ! Link to school’s catalog regarding alternative/ACE/MOOC credits - http://catalog.polk.edu/content.php?cato...nto=search

I just had my courses evaluated and they transferred over as such in the provided photo. I know for sure that Daytona State College and Seminole State College does not accept the alternative credits unless it’s military jst. 

Currently on the prowl for which FL university will accept these alt credits.

.jpeg   5DC952DB-C6CC-4250-B34E-374F328A01A1.jpeg (Size: 378.21 KB / Downloads: 119)
[-] The following 3 users Like MissRN's post:
  • amrly813, jch, Vle045
Not happy to see that they count these in your GPA, so that's something people may want to think about ahead of time. This is a case where a high score really matters.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I'm confused, it looks like Polk state gave you 3.0 gpa for everything... A,B,C it all says in the gpa column 3.0. Am I reading that correctly?
(07-22-2023, 10:20 AM)Tbear Wrote: I'm confused, it looks like Polk state gave you 3.0 gpa for everything... A,B,C it all says in the gpa column 3.0. Am I reading that correctly?

You're right. It does look a little confusing looking back on it. Went to look at my full transcripts that has my RA courses. It's also next to the RA courses like that and it seems like it's accounting for the credit hours of that course all the way across. There's 2 courses on my transcript that were worth 2 credits each and was listed in the GPA side of it as well as a 2.0. I think their system calculates the points earned for the grade of course divided by the hours to give the full GPA at the end each of the semester. 

Are you looking into Polk State?
(07-22-2023, 11:02 AM)MissRN Wrote:
(07-22-2023, 10:20 AM)Tbear Wrote: I'm confused, it looks like Polk state gave you 3.0 gpa for everything... A,B,C it all says in the gpa column 3.0. Am I reading that correctly?

You're right. It does look a little confusing looking back on it. Went to look at my full transcripts that has my RA courses. It's also next to the RA courses like that and it seems like it's accounting for the credit hours of that course all the way across. There's 2 courses on my transcript that were worth 2 credits each and was listed in the GPA side of it as well as a 2.0. I think their system calculates the points earned for the grade of course divided by the hours to give the full GPA at the end each of the semester. 

Yes, I am looking into them. I was thinking of doing nursing through them, possibly WGU. I'm a paramedic so I can do the transition/ bridge. 

Finishing all prerequisites on Sophia/ straighterline, just to prepare when I'm ready. 

There's a chance of me moving to south fl though... So it's up in the air. 

Thank you so much for the find... I assumed Polk would not accept Sophia. Seeing your post was a big help for future planning.
(07-22-2023, 11:19 AM)Tbear Wrote:
(07-22-2023, 11:02 AM)MissRN Wrote:

Yes, I am looking into them. I was thinking of doing nursing through them, possibly WGU. I'm a paramedic so I can do the transition/ bridge. 

Finishing all prerequisites on Sophia/ straighterline, just to prepare when I'm ready. 

There's a chance of me moving to south fl though... So it's up in the air. 

Thank you so much for the find... I assumed Polk would not accept Sophia. Seeing your post was a big help for future planning.
Oh that's cool! My husband is currently a firefighter/paramedic in the Central FL area. He went the traditional route, lol. Polk State has been a godsend when it came to accepting Sophia. I earned them through the year of Covid lockdown and it was offered for free. I didn't want all that time spent on those going to waste! Plus at the time I wanted to pursue nursing before family life got extended. Going for computer science now. Still wanted to have a Florida AA with those ACE credits in case I were to go back for nursing once the family schedule allowed it.

I'm glad my post helped! Good luck!
Interesting to say the least, they have Associates/Bachelors as well, if you can transfer in 75% of the credits as they mentioned with ACE, then you can complete the rest of the credits through them. An option is the BAS with several concentrations or their BS CJ, Early Childhood or Elem Education, Nursing, and last but not least, their Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Sciences. Here's the Bachelors Link: https://www.polk.edu/academics/degrees-a...-programs/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-08-2022, 03:56 PM)MissRN Wrote: I was doing a search on the board for schools in FL that accepts ACE credits and other alternative credits and of course my search was nil. I recalled someone in a Sophia Learning FB group that Polk State College had accepted all their Sophia credits. I checked out their website to ensure what information they had regarding these types of credits and found gold ! Link to school’s catalog regarding alternative/ACE/MOOC credits - http://catalog.polk.edu/content.php?cato...nto=search

I just had my courses evaluated and they transferred over as such in the provided photo. I know for sure that Daytona State College and Seminole State College does not accept the alternative credits unless it’s military jst. 

Daytona State College accepts Sophia and the Study.com website shows Seminole State College accepting ACE credit.

https://www.sophia.org/find-your-school/

https://study.com/college/school/index.h...sferSearch
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(07-22-2023, 02:52 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(06-08-2022, 03:56 PM)MissRN Wrote: I was doing a search on the board for schools in FL that accepts ACE credits and other alternative credits and of course my search was nil. I recalled someone in a Sophia Learning FB group that Polk State College had accepted all their Sophia credits. I checked out their website to ensure what information they had regarding these types of credits and found gold ! Link to school’s catalog regarding alternative/ACE/MOOC credits - http://catalog.polk.edu/content.php?cato...nto=search

Daytona State College accepts Sophia and the Study.com website shows Seminole State College accepting ACE credit.

https://www.sophia.org/find-your-school/

https://study.com/college/school/index.h...sferSearch
Seminole State informed me there was a deadline of 08/2022 to transfer any ACE credits and that they were only accepting the military jst thereafter. I know because I tried. I had my Sophia transcript sent to them. They accepted them at first but then revoked it informing me that I transferred after their deadline as I was trying to finish up one more Sophia course. Missed the deadline by 1 day. I then asked Daytona State and was told the same thing. That the school’s name remained on those sites due to them accepting them in the past. I’m sure they probably still accept them but only if it’s on a military jst transcript.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,519 03-27-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 104 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 390 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 281 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,807 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,882 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,410 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 412 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 607 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,976 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet