Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portfolios at Excelsior or TESC in Music
I wish you luck in your portfolio pursuits. Please keep us informed as to your progress. I did a little digging. I can find two exams that are worth college credit.

There is an Excelsior College Examination for Introduction to Music, which does apply towards their Music major. https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_Coll...07/18/2009

There is also the AP Music Theory which is worth 6 credits, but I think you have to find a high school that will allow you to sit in for that exam and it's only offered once a year.

I thought I would also add that Charter Oak also offers Portfolio Assessments, and they have a concentration in Music. Charter Oak charges $85 per credit for enrolled students. Excelsior chargers $95. Thomas Edison charges $136 for in-state, and $180 for out of state (NJ).
[SIZE="1"]CLEP exams passed:
Management, Accounting, Marketing, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics

DSST exams passed:
Human Resources Management, Organizational Behavior, Statistics, Management Information Systems

Earned:
B.A. in Business Administration: Technology Management from Saint Leo University

M.S. in Leadership: Business Ethics from Duquesne University [/SIZE]
I haven't committed to any of the schools yet, and I am beginning to think I need to take a look at Charter Oak. I really haven't paid much attention to what they have to offer.

I will certainly keep everyone informed of my progress, and I would encourage others to do the same in regards to portfolios, no matter what subject.

This forum has been a wonderful source of information and encouragement. I really appreciate it.

David
dbarnes Wrote:.......please do let me know about the outcome of portfolio.

David

I wish I had listened to everyone who said portfolio's are not worth the time, effort,cost ,etc....

I do not have all the details yet, but today I was informed (by email) that I need to do an addendum for the 6 credit portfolio I submitted. At this point it is not clear to me if it is for both courses or just one . So I have requested clarification in order to make an informed decision.

I thought for sure this process was going to end positively, as I had taken courses at a non- accredited religious college that matched the courses I was challenging and I honestly believed I had proven my case well. But it appears the evaluator feels differently.

I am trying to figure out if I should cut my loses and just test out of the last 6 credits I need, as I have already wasted 9 weeks waiting for them to review my portfolio.

Luckily, the cost of my portfolio was reimbursed by the tutition reimbursement program at my work, so I am not out any money.

Peace123
Sorry to hear that. Do you have any idea yet what sort of "addendum" they want? It sounds like it could be very simple. I sure hope so. I would hate to see you go to all of that trouble for nothing.
Ok, the addendum is needed for only one of the courses but I am not sure
it is worth the effort or the time to create the addendum, as I could complete a course or an exam in the time it would take to do the addendum and have it reviewed. Also there is still no guarantee the credits will be approved even if I submit the addendum.

As it stands the other course can move forward in the process but even though it was recommended for credit, I was reminded today by the portfolio assessment unit, that the faculty committee could still recommend no credit if they disagree with the evaluator.

So at this point I am leaning towards not doing the addendum for the one course and moving the other one onto the faculty committe for review.

I suppose if I can get 3 credits for less then the cost of a course at Excelsior
it will not be a total wash.
Update: Instead of doing the addendum I decided to test out to get the psych credits I needed, managed to study for about 5 days and get an A on PAA.

Still no answer on the portfolio 3 credits put forward for final review and these are the last 3 credits needed for me to graduate.

This is certainly not a speedy process ( I started this process on 4/9/09 by faxing over an AAF form) and I am glad the rest of Excelsior does not function this way.

My experience with Excelsior has been a pleasant one, with the exception of the portfolio process and AU which handles that process.

So anyone thinking of doing a portfolio at Excelsior please keep this in mind and do not leave it as your last credits or it can hold up your graduation date for 6 mo's or longer.
marianne202 Wrote:David,

You may want to look at the DSST exams, as Excelsior will still award credit and a letter grade for some of those exams. Just a thought. Also I will throw my ring in the hat and say that Excelsior and COSC both discouraged me from trying to do a portfolio assessment for my work experience in health care and teaching. They said that unless I had real tangible proof ie: the HR manual, it would be near impossible to get credit for it. I also believe that they would only assign the credit as pass/fail, so you still wouldn't get a letter grade or GPA assignment with the credit. I think the idea of doing the credit by exam at your local school is a great option that I also considered. In the long run I just did the exams and am moving forward. At 45 I wasn't about to spin my wheels and waste time and money. The exams were a sure thing. I gathered from both schools that they really must not award much credit through the assessment due to such tight restrictions. Just my 2 cents for what little they are worth now days! Good luck on your journey! You will find lots of great info and support here!
Portfolio is advertised, utilized, but not really encouraged, that is what I found as well.
Ok, received word today that my 3 credits for the portfolio at Excelsior were approved.

My advise if you are going to do a portfolio at Excelsior, do not match to courses they offer, instead match to courses offered at other schools.

This way the course match will be based on the course description rather then on the course the reviewer teaches, and the assessment methods they use for their courses, etc.

I am holding off on my "I'm done thread" until Excelsior does my final student records review but these were the last 3 credits needed according to my last status report.
I know you don't want to post your "I'm Done!" message yet, but it sure sounds like you are.

Your advice about choosing courses from other schools makes complete sense, but I've always wondered how they really judge those when some of the descriptions are so vague. I guess that's the point.

Anyway, congratulations and I will let everyone know if I proceed along the portfolio path.
Congratulations Peace123 for making it through the portfolio process successfully! Thank you for sharing your journey and advice with us.

I am looking forward to celebrating with you in your I'm Done thread, too.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,802 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,135 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,858 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,266 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 945 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,590 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,243 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,750 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,202 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,341 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah