Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Possible Alternative to big 3
Alcorn University.  This might be an affordable alternative to the big 3.  I could not find where it stated the max credit s they would accept.  So, I called.  I could tell that they were very lenient as I was transferred around.  This appears to be a hometown college where life is a bit slower.  I asked the person in admissions if she could confiRm the max of credits that I could transfer in.  She said they only have a minimum.  You must come in with at least 30 units.  I asked her what if I come in with more 110 credits. She said then you start from there until you finish the requirements for the degree.  I looked at the degree for business and there is no cornerstone/capstone.  The college cost around $7000 for the year.  College is accredited by southern Association of college’s and schools commission.  Do your personal research. But it looks like if you transfer in with just two courses left to complete then it can be done for about $600.          https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/alc...rsity-2396
Nice find, that'd be really interesting if there indeed is no credit transfer limit.

Do they accept ACE and or NCCRS?
I saw they receive a series alternate credits. But you world have to confirm by calling.

(02-13-2020, 01:22 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: Nice find, that'd be really interesting if there indeed is no credit transfer limit.

Do they accept ACE and or NCCRS?

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/.../veterans/
(02-13-2020, 01:20 PM)nilahti2 Wrote: Alcorn University.  This might be an affordable alternative to the big 3.  I could not find where it stated the max credit s they would accept.  So, I called.  I could tell that they were very lenient as I was transferred around.  This appears to be a hometown college where life is a bit slower.  I asked the person in admissions if she could confiRm the max of credits that I could transfer in.  She said they only have a minimum.  You must come in with at least 30 units.  I asked her what if I come in with more 110 credits. She said then you start from there until you finish the requirements for the degree.  I looked at the degree for business and there is no cornerstone/capstone.  The college cost around $7000 for the year.  College is accredited by southern Association of college’s and schools commission.  Do your personal research. But it looks like if you transfer in with just two courses left to complete then it can be done for about $600.          https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/alc...rsity-2396

"You must come in with at least 30 units"  - I suspect that this is reversed and that you must complete at least 30 (25% of the degree) through the school.  "She said they only have a minimum" - no school has a minimum of transfer credits they allow in in order to be a transfer student, but it is very common to have a minimum you'd have to complete through them in order to graduate as one.

Edit: I take that back - they won't consider you unless as a transfer student unless you have 30 graded hours; including very specific courses.  This is likely to ensure your GPA, in other words you couldn't have been a bad HS student go to CC for a year and then just transfer in. - https://www.alcorn.edu/admissions/transfer-students

However this is far from open enrollment, or accepting alternative credits (such as ACE through providers like SL, SDC, etc) - https://www.alcorn.edu/academics/univers...ligibility
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

I think there is a minimum to transfer in, which is basically half of GE.
https://www.alcorn.edu/admissions/transfer-students
You're right there probably will (also) be a requirement to complete at least x% there.
Might be a problem: credit by exam should be given only for well documented scholarly achievement.
(02-13-2020, 01:48 PM)allvia Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 01:20 PM)nilahti2 Wrote: Alcorn University.  This might be an affordable alternative to the big 3.  I could not find where it stated the max credit s they would accept.  So, I called.  I could tell that they were very lenient as I was transferred around.  This appears to be a hometown college where life is a bit slower.  I asked the person in admissions if she could confiRm the max of credits that I could transfer in.  She said they only have a minimum.  You must come in with at least 30 units.  I asked her what if I come in with more 110 credits. She said then you start from there until you finish the requirements for the degree.  I looked at the degree for business and there is no cornerstone/capstone.  The college cost around $7000 for the year.  College is accredited by southern Association of college’s and schools commission.  Do your personal research. But it looks like if you transfer in with just two courses left to complete then it can be done for about $600.          https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/alc...rsity-2396

"You must come in with at least 30 units"  - I suspect that this is reversed and that you must complete at least 30 (25% of the degree) through the school.  "She said they only have a minimum" - no school has a minimum of transfer credits they allow in in order to be a transfer student, but it is very common to have a minimum you'd have to complete through them in order to graduate as one.
Well, that what admissions told me.  You must come in with a 2.0 “C” average and a min 30 credits.                         
(02-13-2020, 01:54 PM)nilahti2 Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 01:48 PM)allvia Wrote:

Well, that what admissions told me.  You must come in with a 2.0 “C” average and a min 30 credits.                         

I updated my original post after looking into them more (I was wrong).  Unfortunately their admissions requirements, even as a transfer student, would take them out of the running of being a Big3 type school.  Keep an eye out though, it would be nice to find another school and make it a Big4 list.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

So just so everyone knows, this is a Historically Black College. Not that it matters, but you ought to know it going in.

There are some issues that make this a non-Big 3 school:
- 6cr of Laboratory Science - not even sure what that means, do you have to take 2 labs? 1 lab plus 1 regular science?
- Not sure what they consider graded credits, but you need a 2.0 (so that would rule out 30cr of ACE/CLEP/DSST)
- Need an ACT or SAT score to apply
- limited online courses, set semester schedule (for instance, for Spring 2020, you can take English II - meaning you can probably only take English I during the fall, which shows their limits as a school, as they won't offer every course ever term, which will slow you down)

The Biggies:
- they only offer CJ, Child Development, and Business Administration for their online programs
- The Business Admin program DOES have a capstone, it's just not called that
- it's BA499: Business Administration Comprehensive Seminar (1cr) and
- MG496: Strategic Management (3cr)
- The CD program DOES have a capstone:
- HS 493: Seminar (3cr)
- CD 450: Practicum (6cr)
- HS 494: Thesis (3cr)

Their website is terrible, impossible to see what the requirements are, electives, etc. Awful.
- The CJ program doesn't show what courses you need to take (seriously?)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-13-2020, 04:54 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So just so everyone knows, this is a Historically Black College.  Not that it matters, but you ought to know it going in.

There are some issues that make this a non-Big 3 school:
- 6cr of Laboratory Science - not even sure what that means, do you have to take 2 labs?  1 lab plus 1 regular science?
- Not sure what they consider graded credits, but you need a 2.0 (so that would rule out 30cr of ACE/CLEP/DSST)
- Need an ACT or SAT score to apply
- limited online courses, set semester schedule (for instance, for Spring 2020, you can take English II - meaning you can probably only take English I during the fall, which shows their limits as a school, as they won't offer every course ever term, which will slow you down)

The Biggies:
- they only offer CJ, Child Development, and Business Administration for their online programs
- The Business Admin program DOES have a capstone, it's just not called that
     - it's BA499: Business Administration Comprehensive Seminar (1cr) and
     - MG496: Strategic Management (3cr)
- The CD program DOES have a capstone:
     - HS 493: Seminar (3cr)
     - CD 450: Practicum (6cr)
     - HS 494: Thesis (3cr)

Their website is terrible, impossible to see what the requirements are, electives, etc.  Awful.
- The CJ program doesn't show what courses you need to take (seriously?)
Thank you for clarifying.  I did find it hard to get information from the website.  So, I called to ask questions and went based on what they told me.  I know people here that many people are interested in Business Admin so I figured it might work for someone.
Alcorn State has a lot of history. Produced notable alumni such as Medgar Evers, Alex Haley, Michael Clarke Duncan, and a RIDICULOUS amount of NFL players. Among HBCUs in Mississippi, it's considered the second best one behind the big dawg, JSU. Now that you've piqued my interest, I may have to look into it.