Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post 9/11 and TESC
I was looking to see if any one has any info/exprience using the post 9/11 gi bill while on active duty to cover fees w/TESC

Thanks for the help
Avoid this "program".

The Military Degree Completion Program punishes soldiers! Strange, but TESC requires 30 of the hours with MDCP be in house. I was stuck with this, because I enrolled while in Iraq. Big mistake, after finally getting to speak with the seemingly only veteran at TESC, I was able to drop the MDCP, and 6 semester hours later (CLEP and DSST), finish my degree with 100 % transfer credit. I have no TESC courses!

Any way, TESC has no in house requirement for civilians! They still honor all your military evaluations etc, but as long as you don't pay for the MDCP, you won't get stuck with the 30 hours. It cost me an additional $1500, because I could have finished within a year of enrolling in 07, after dropping MDCP, 6 months later I had a degree.

Good luck, (I gave my GI Bill to my son)
wipinitboss Wrote:Avoid this "program".

The Military Degree Completion Program punishes soldiers! Strange, but TESC requires 30 of the hours with MDCP be in house. I was stuck with this, because I enrolled while in Iraq. Big mistake, after finally getting to speak with the seemingly only veteran at TESC, I was able to drop the MDCP, and 6 semester hours later (CLEP and DSST), finish my degree with 100 % transfer credit. I have no TESC courses!

Any way, TESC has no in house requirement for civilians! They still honor all your military evaluations etc, but as long as you don't pay for the MDCP, you won't get stuck with the 30 hours. It cost me an additional $1500, because I could have finished within a year of enrolling in 07, after dropping MDCP, 6 months later I had a degree.

Good luck, (I gave my GI Bill to my son)

TESC is kinda screwy when it comes to this. I enrolled under the MDCP and they told me I had to do 9 SH for and Associates and 18 SH for a Bachelors of courses thru them, and they would not charge an enrollment fee.

I only took one course that I needed to complete my degree. Since I wasn't going to meet the MDCP requirements I told them to switch me to Veteran status using the Post 9/11 GI Bill to pay for all enrollment and other fees. After I did that I applied for graduation and had a degree a few months later.

The kicker was that somehow they did not charge me or the GI Bill the enrollment fees, and I still graduated under the MDCP without meeting their SH requirements. Probably a typo on their part. (I'm not complaining)

I kept 1 year's worth of the GI Bill, and transferred the rest to my wife. My daughter will have her school paid for by the State of Texas. Smile
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  7 months of post 9/11 after completing masters subhuman 4 2,287 02-08-2018, 01:31 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  no more collecting Post 9/11 Bill and Unemployment at the same time Life Long Learning 6 1,886 02-21-2016, 05:05 AM
Last Post: jadae@wgu.edu
  Using the Post 9/11 GI Bill - webinar Life Long Learning 0 1,222 01-01-2016, 02:21 PM
  TESC Automatic Military Credit Eval Prloko 2 1,450 04-24-2015, 11:53 PM
  Post 9/11 GI Bill and Excelsior College Exams Leherself 9 3,660 04-09-2015, 07:07 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  A word of caution if using Post 9/11 GI Bill Prloko 9 2,658 01-20-2015, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  TESC MDCP question GMT 5 1,317 09-12-2014, 07:08 AM
Last Post: GMT
  How to get a signed degree plan from TESC for MilTA? (USAF) OfficerA 6 1,986 08-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Last Post: bricabrac
  Post 9/11 and TESC 50% Eligibility mm1988 14 2,099 10-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Vandalet
  USAF OTS application - No GPA through TESC cframe 18 3,250 09-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Mexirican007