Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post-Retirement IT Job Advice? (BEWARE: Crazy Question)
The perception of moving from job to job is common among IT workers, but this isn't the majority of the workforce. I've found this to be more common in development positions or project driven work positions. The issue with breaking into these roles is experience is king. Agism definitely exists in the IT world, however most of the really successful people in IT (developers included) that I've worked with have been older. The reason for this is, they have work in very specific systems that they've mastered.

Now to the prospect of moving into IT field later in life as a post-retirement career. I think there will be a ton of challenges. It's possible, but if freedom in schedule is your desire you may be better served taking some other path. Most contract work I've seen is very project driven and the schedule that's set is not always realistic (usually it's not).

What field did you previously work in? Is there anyway to leverage that for consulting opportunities? The most bang for the buck in these areas is finding a niche that is underserved. The easiest way to do this is usually to take a business discipline that you've mastered and learn the IT bits that go along with it. This will leverage your experience as a positive. Agism is reduced when this occurs and if you're a contractor, most of the concerns mentioned do not exist, because you're responsible for your health insurance, and they don't want a full time employee long term.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
Bluebooger,
If you had heard me trying to explain to my nonagenarian mother what PokÃmon Go was, and my explanation was ENTIRELY speculative, you'd probably have laughed a certain part of your anatomy off!

Does ageism exist? Just like every other "ism," I'm sure it does. My plan, however, is to not let it get in my way. Unrealistic? Probably.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
Thank you, Zach. Very specific advice, which I always appreciate.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 19 1,507 04-04-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: RavindraNagai
  Post formatting settings ? Chimera 2 411 03-19-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cruise Advice/Other Travel Suggestions burbuja0512 5 1,398 03-19-2024, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Chimera
  Need travel advice Ghostwill 1 560 02-12-2024, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Advice needed, making time for uni work. Personherebb9 14 1,133 06-11-2023, 03:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  To defend or not to defend, that is the question! bjcheung77 4 619 02-21-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Pats20
Question Why Do People Get So Crazy on Political Forums, According to AI? LevelUP 3 800 11-04-2022, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Kire
  Resume Question ROYISAGIRL 11 1,124 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Another job application question carebear_007 4 660 04-11-2022, 02:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  What is Good Advice for Future Expats? Kal Di 3 701 03-13-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Messdiener