Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post-Retirement IT Job Advice? (BEWARE: Crazy Question)
While I'm eligible to retire, and I gotten my BSBA - Gen. Mgmt, I'm thinking about another degree, certificate, job experience, etc. in the IT field. First, let me be perfectly clear. What I know about things computer could be engraved on the head of a needle. I use Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, and Excel, primarily), and do data entry in a system that uses Access. That's my computer experience. In my small office, I'd say I'm a bit better than average making the computer straighten up when it's acting up, but that's because I'm in a small office. Why, you ask, do I think I want to get into the IT field? Well, some folks here talk about moving from IT job to IT job. It seems like my kind of post-retirement life. I'd work, leave, vacation, and then get another job.

Is this a ridiculous understanding of any area of IT? If it isn't, what do I need to learn, and how can I learn it? Oh, and I don't think I want to program. Not that I'm entirely sure what programming is, other than the MOST general sense, but I don't think I'd like to do it.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
My dad works for AT&T in the IT part of the company (they mostly do big data analysis). He doesn't even have a degree in IT. He has a BS in Electrical Engineering and an MBA from City U. From what he tells me (and how well I think grasp what he's saying ConfusedmilelolSmile, getting jobs in that field is extremely easy with either the right degree(s) or prior experience in the field, because there is a high demand for those people.

I just asked him what degree he would recommend for someone he was looking to hire for his group. He said, "Generally, my team needs people who know computer science, statistics, network technology and/or computer information systems." Based off that information I would say that degrees in computer related fields, especially involving large scale information use/protection (cyber security) would be fine choices. He did say they look favorably on people who have programming "know how" and more importantly, experience.

Based on that information and wanting to self study for my own degree, I chose to do the BSBA in CIS at TESU. He said it was a fine choice and upon finishing he had no doubt I'd be able to find work in a large company IT department (currently planning to go Army though). His only tips were whatever the degree is, make sure you have classes on your transcript associated with programming languages, network technology/cloud computing, and possibly cyber security if the end goal is to go into IT.

Best of luck to you!
-zach
TESU March 2020 Graduation
--ASNSM Mathematics
--BSBA Accounting 
--BA Computer Science

University of Alaska Fairbanks (December 2021 Graduation Goal)
--MBA (2/10 : 4.0)

I started this journey in the summer of 2016.  I hoped to be done sooner, but I am still proud of the rate at which I have gotten my schooling done with respect to the many months of military training and deployments I have undergone.  

waste of time I think

the problem is ageism -- which happens in IT quite often

the people doing the hiring just assume older people don't understand the latest technology or needs of the users

ask yourself these questions
do you have a twitter account ?
do you skype ?
do have have a smart phone ? how old is it ? do you know how to install apps ?
do you know what Pokemon Go is ?
how about Dropbox ?
do you know what "torrent" means ?
have you ever uses Amazon Fire TV Stick
what's Instagram ?

I've been doing programming for over 10 years and I'm out of touch with most of that stuff

if you're over 50 people will just assume you're out of touch -- in my case they'd be right

being over 50 with no experience would make it extremely difficult to get an IT job
I hate to admit it but I agree about ageism. That is part of the reason I have not really done much with my degree. I was fine with going into teaching but the only real teaching job I applied for picked a younger person, she did have more math and less science but they wanted the math because of testing.

When I moved up here to NY I decided starting over for alternate certification was not worth the time and money.

I have 35+ years experience in a bio/chem laboratory so I decided to try going back into that, I had a great phone interview and was excited about the in person one, I just felt a bad vibe and noticed everyone was young like 45 was old there. I don't put all of my experience on a resume so they had no idea how old I really was. I was 59 then but most people tell me I look at least 5 years younger than I am. I got just a form letter type email telling me they went with someone else. After that there were several jobs that opened at the lab and I applied for many, I never got any kind of reply. My feeling is they put some kind of mark on my file that said too old.

So I go down to SC in the winter and substitute teach there, when I am in the mood, they are desperate for subs and they take you whenever you are willing. I could work every day down there but I pick when I want to and which classes and/or teachers I like to work for.

I don't really work much and now I qualify for SS so I don't feel as much of a need to make more money.

So I would say think long and hard before you jump into going for IT, ageism is a large factor there plus once you decide to retire you might find you are enjoying life too much to need to work or do more schoolwork,

Maybe you could just try a straighterline class or the DSST computer exam, make sure you are really into this line of study.

My advice would still be sit back relax and enjoy retirement I read travel, watch TV, travel, make jewelry, travel, scrapbook, travel.... you get the idea.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Typically the reason people can hop between jobs is because they have experience along with some combination of education, certifications, and a strong professional network. Not saying it can't be done, but it might not be as easy as you perceive.

Entry level jobs are usually at the help desk or desktop support level. How do you feel about helping people with MS Office issues, or unlocking the same user accounts 50 times a week, or crawling under desks to plug in computers? you may be able to leverage your current experience into other area of IT. Maybe take an undergrad Info Sec certificate and a basic Info Sec certification like Sec+ and maybe that can get you into a SOC.

What areas of IT interest you?
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

bluebooger Wrote:waste of time I think

the problem is ageism -- which happens in IT quite often

the people doing the hiring just assume older people don't understand the latest technology or needs of the users

ask yourself these questions
do you have a twitter account ?
do you skype ?
do have have a smart phone ? how old is it ? do you know how to install apps ?
do you know what Pokemon Go is ?
how about Dropbox ?
do you know what "torrent" means ?
have you ever uses Amazon Fire TV Stick
what's Instagram ?

I've been doing programming for over 10 years and I'm out of touch with most of that stuff

if you're over 50 people will just assume you're out of touch -- in my case they'd be right

being over 50 with no experience would make it extremely difficult to get an IT job

This is a good point. Another aspect to this (ageism) is something I've heard referred to as "runway." Which i guess is the theory that employers don't want older employees, because they are one: more costly (insurance plans and such), and two: get less use out of older employees, because the amount of time they have left isn't enough to be enticing for an employer.
TESU March 2020 Graduation
--ASNSM Mathematics
--BSBA Accounting 
--BA Computer Science

University of Alaska Fairbanks (December 2021 Graduation Goal)
--MBA (2/10 : 4.0)

I started this journey in the summer of 2016.  I hoped to be done sooner, but I am still proud of the rate at which I have gotten my schooling done with respect to the many months of military training and deployments I have undergone.  

BTW, my Post-IT-Retirement job will be at Home Depot or Lowes. That way if someone brings my a computer I know where to find sledge hammers, axes, etc, so I can go all "Office Space" on it.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

I'm in IT, my suggestion is to take some free IT courses through the MOOC's available online. Or if you prefer, for credit, take the free CyberSecurity courses.
If you would like more info on IT related professions, find a free certificate you would like to obtain, like for example, the BrainBench ones, or the more useful Saylor certificate or diploma's they have now. Heck, if you find it being something you want to get into, go for it! Don't let anything stop you from at least experiencing IT.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I think that if you want to move towards IT because it sounds interesting, then you should start small, rather than jump in with both feet. By small, I mean, start taking some courses. See what you think. See what parts of it interest you.

If you really like the idea of going from job to job, then you might be able to find something where you can do that within your current level of expertise instead. Become a contractor, and change jobs every 6 months. Work for a temp company with a strong business background. Find something where you can do what you're already good at, but in a different way.

Pick your bouquet from the flowers closest to you (or something like that).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Are you presently working as in a specialty such as HR, Accounting, Payroll, AP/AR? If so you might want to think about ERPs and ERP administration. Think SAP, Oracle, MS Dynamics, Unit4. Are any of these used as your current job? If you're experienced in any of these areas and are IT savvy it's worth thinking about. Is there any chance of making a side ways move or becoming a SuperUser of one of these. From there you could progress to becoming an ERP administrator, especially if you take a university certificate and learn SQL well.
Achieved
BSBA - GM: TESU
BSc(Hons) Politics: University of Plymouth
GradCert in Computing: London Metropolitan University
Prince2 Certified
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt

In Progress
Certificate in Technology Leadership: Cornell University (free through employer)

Planned
Master in Public Administration: Marconi University
Certificate in Accounting: Cornell University

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post formatting settings ? Chimera 2 344 03-19-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cruise Advice/Other Travel Suggestions burbuja0512 5 1,325 03-19-2024, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Chimera
  Need travel advice Ghostwill 1 524 02-12-2024, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 18 1,214 06-11-2023, 06:14 PM
  Advice needed, making time for uni work. Personherebb9 14 1,100 06-11-2023, 03:11 AM
  To defend or not to defend, that is the question! bjcheung77 4 608 02-21-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Pats20
Question Why Do People Get So Crazy on Political Forums, According to AI? LevelUP 3 770 11-04-2022, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Kire
  Resume Question ROYISAGIRL 11 1,096 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Another job application question carebear_007 4 648 04-11-2022, 02:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  What is Good Advice for Future Expats? Kal Di 3 690 03-13-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Messdiener