Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gas (not that kind)
Why can't this country learn from the rest of the world? Trains, buses, and other forms of public transportation is the way to go. I remember when I went to Japan, everyone walked everywhere they went. It would be 2 or 3 miles to get there but the journey was worth it. Parks were abudant and it seemed like there was a bench every 3 blocks to take a break. Maybe one day.
[COLOR="DimGray"]Intro to World Religions 68
Social Science and History 60
Principles of Statistics 60
Western Civilization I 58
Intro to Sociology 55
Astronomy 54
Technical Writing 54
Humanities 50
College Composition 50[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]C Programming - C
Electronic Instrumentation and Control - A
War and American Society - A
International Economics - A
Calculus II - B[/COLOR]
I live in a big city and, well, my public transportation ain't great. Big city does not equal better public transportation.

I can't wait for prices to drop (hopefully within the next 24 months). Although the oil/gas companies post a ton of profits, much of that is reinvested into pricey projects which have become even pricier as prices have risen on everything (food is served on rigs, there are medical staffs and chefs on there. the only way to a rig is by boat or helicopter). You have to remember - those companies still have to 1) find the oil/gas, which takes around $5- 10 million for each well, some of which are dry holes 2) refine it at one of the few refineries across the nation 3) transport it to your local station via trucking from one end of the country to the other. CA doesn't really have any natural resources, and those they do have are protected, and everything must go through pipelines or trucks, so their prices are the most.

Also, the way that gas is drilled can be deadly. The gas comes out pretty pressurized (well, duh, it's like a straw), and if there's a leak, people can die within minutes. that requires extra measures, extra money, extra people. Not to mention Venezula, etc have been kicking foreign interests out of their country so that we can't drill there. Only two american companies still remain there and must pay heavy royalties, etc to that country in order to stay. Most were forced out several years ago. I don't really care about S.American leaders or what they do, but that was not a good move and I'm surprised the President didn't ever bring it up then.

Finding oil and gas is more predictable than the weatherman's forecasts.
I personally think (regardless of prices, OPEC, Non-existant shortages) there are people who just don't know what the heck they are doing in the industry. Do I think there is a shortage of oil/gas? Hardly. We need somebody to build a refinery! The shortage is not oil/gas or money - it's the fact that a refinery is not easily available. No one has built one in over 30 - 50 years and the ones we do have keep blowing up (think Texas City, BP). No company wants to touch the issue because they aren't willing to build one due to too many regulations, costs, risks, etc. What we need is either an advancement in technology for refining or some sort of savior company willing to build a refinery somewhere.

I think it's sad that in 1993 my sister and I held black gold all over our hands like butter and now we wouldn't dare to do so. I ride my bike often when I'm in a nearby town, but most towns, cities, etc. aren't equipped for public transportation, have no room for public transportation, and have no extra money for public transportation. if you can walk or bike or buy a hybrid (or electric car), do so.
Credits Racked Up.....71
Peers: (Still) Not Even Outta High School Yet.
No More CLEPs left. I've taken them all! :p
Spring 2009: Managerial Accounting, Business Cal, Statistics
What gas situation? Gas is cheaper here then almost every other developed nation.

The silver lining here is that demand will drop and short term prices should drop with it.

But just wait for the first hurricane that looks like it may swing through the gulf. It won't even have to be close, just somewhere tantalizingly near the 5 day cone edge on a slow news day should do it. CNN/FOX/MSNBC explain how "if this storm hits the gulf it will raise gas prices x dollars". The 24 hour news media with nothing better to do will show endless reruns of a 5 second video of crushed and mangled oil wells (whether or not those wells were damaged by a past hurricane is irrelevant). An expert will come on the and show us a fancy graph with squiggles and lines that are indecipherable. That of course will cause the very rise in prices they predicted as panicked motorists will rush to the pump across America. Mondays headline "$6.00 gas!" Tuesday headline "Hurricane turns away from land and heads for Bermuda".
Joe

Excelsior BSB Aug 21, 2009

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kind of annoyed that professor won't let semester end. soliloquy 12 1,539 12-20-2015, 10:28 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  What kind of computer do you recommend? hicandle 42 4,617 01-28-2014, 05:52 PM
Last Post: hicandle
  What kind of music do you guys listen too twitterflix 10 2,687 09-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Last Post: Ruddigore
  What Kind Of Pets Do You Guys Have twitterflix 16 3,142 02-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Last Post: kimberlyaz