Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre Nursing
Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone can help me in obtaining a bachelor’s degree in pre nursing? I have about 40 credits and I’d like to do the rest online.

Thanks in advance!
What courses do you have and where do you live? WGU has a prelicensure Nursing degree but it's only available in TX, FL, IN, and UT. I assume that this is because there is some amount of practicum required for licensing purposes.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
As in Pre-Nursing studies? That's usually less than 30 credits, definitely not a full bachelor's degree. Or did you mean something else?

For nursing pre-requisites the typical alt-credit providers (Study.com & StraighterLine especially) offer a selection of what you'd need (Anatomy & Physiology, Microbiology, Psychology, etc). There's also Portage Learning which offers a more complete set of courses (A&P I/II, Microbio, Intro to Psych, Lifespan Development, and plenty more). Portage courses are RA and around $200 a credit hour. You might be able to find online courses at a community college for cheaper pricing (especially with COVID-related campus closures, lab science courses are a little easier to find in a 100% virtual/online format).

As Rachel said, a full nursing degree could never be done all online - a significant portion of the work is clinical in nature. Excelsior does offer an ASN (which you could then bridge to a BSN/MSN), but it requires being employed in a healthcare setting already (LPN/LVN, Paramedic, or similar). Two of their courses also require an in-person component (in New York? I couldn't find many details) now.
(03-20-2021, 06:53 PM)Zetineb Wrote: Rachel had mentioned straighterline as an option. That was going to be my recommendation as well. 
It saved me thousands of dollars with my remainder prerequisites for Chiropractic school through them than a 4 year school or even community college.
If you work well at your own pace and online I would highly recommend them. It was great for me since I was able to work while attending and it was so affordable I paid it all out of pocket Smile

I'm assuming Nursing programs require many of the prerequisites I had to take: I took Biology, Chemistry, A&P I and II, along with their lab components through Straighterline. 

Hope that helps and best of luck!

-Kyle 
SL is a good source of some credits, true. However, you do need to be aware that some programs may require graded credits in certain classes. Especially the science classes. But it really depends on what school you go to.

WGU, if available, does allow SL credits for their pre-licensure degree: https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...752&pid=53 You can transfer in 39 credits from SL, leaving 16 credits to take at WGU.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
You'll have to give us an example of what you mean by "pre-nursing" as this is not a degree. Do you want to go to a CC and get your RN? Do you want to get your BSN? Or do you want to get ANY bachelor's degree, include your pre-reqs for nursing school, and then you'll go get an Accelerated post-bacc degree in nursing?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Wow, that is killer. Thanks for this information. Currently working through my paramedic, and wanted to find an online RN program after that. Thanks!!!
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Speeding up nursing prerequisites monzelbc 9 1,732 12-27-2022, 03:15 PM
Last Post: allvia