Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-approval of classes?
Is it typical for colleges to refuse to give any answers about the transfer of classes you haven't taken yet?  I asked explicitly if Ashford will accept certain courses for particular requirements, telling the advisor outright that I wanted to know before I took them if they'll transfer or if they'd be a waste of time.  The advisor just said they can do a pre-evaluation of my unofficial transcripts.  Is that typical, or should I push back?  I'd really rather not wait until after I've invested (time and money) in a class to find out they won't accept it.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
Yes it is 100% typical for colleges to refuse to give any answers about the transfer of classes.

The QC by an advisor is all over the board. The other problem is the real decision makers in the Registrars office you generally do not have access too.

Good luck! That is the reason the Big 3 were formed. Generations getting hosed by colleges when transferring!
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • Toastmaster
(09-30-2017, 05:23 PM)a2jc4life Wrote: Is it typical for colleges to refuse to give any answers about the transfer of classes you haven't taken yet?  I asked explicitly if Ashford will accept certain courses for particular requirements, telling the advisor outright that I wanted to know before I took them if they'll transfer or if they'd be a waste of time.  The advisor just said they can do a pre-evaluation of my unofficial transcripts.  Is that typical, or should I push back?  I'd really rather not wait until after I've invested (time and money) in a class to find out they won't accept it.

The Big 3 almost always let you know how a class will transfer, with the exception of some ACE courses, but they only do this for enrolled students.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(09-30-2017, 06:30 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Yes it is 100% typical for colleges to refuse to give any answers about the transfer of classes.

The QC by an advisor is all over the board.  The other problem is the real decision makers in the Registrars office you generally do not have access too.

Good luck!  That is the reason the Big 3 were formed.  Generations getting hosed by colleges when transferring!

Ugh.  This is the epitome of what is wrong with the higher education industry.  That's just absurd.  (And yes, I concur regarding the registrar's office.)

My school seems to have a pretty liberal view of transfer credits -- their website talks about ACE/NCCRS, CLEP, Dantes, TECEP, and PLA, and has a 90-credit transfer max.  So I have every reason to believe the classes I'm taking should transfer for credit.  But that still doesn't help me to know whether they'll transfer as the necessary equivalents to meet the general education categories. :/

They do have a partner agreement with SL, so that's nice because I do know which of those transfer as what.  But it'd be nice to know whether I've "finished" what I think I have before enrolling.  And mostly it just drives me crazy that it's impossible to get a straight answer about much of anything from a school unless it's already in their documentation -- in which case I clearly don't need to ask them. Tongue
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
A rep/adviser from Arizona State University (ASU) called me yesterday.  I asked basic questions on can I transfer in some credits to one of their ASU Certificate programs and I got no answer and the run around. Huh   Same old B&M college BS even when they have a good online program.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Well, Ashford is a for-profit college that no longer has a campus. You can't expect much from admissions reps no matter where you go. They're all sales people.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Well, at many schools you can enroll very cheaply or free.

A number of community colleges won't evaluate transfer credits until you've enrolled and taken 12+ credits with them!

I'm trying to figure out the pre-approval process at TESU. I asked them last night if some UL ACE & NCCRS courses from a specific provider could be used in the AOS but they told me I would need to apply to find out. If I were to apply would I need to register/enroll in a TESU course(s) to get pre-approval or can I apply without enrolling in a course, get pre-approval, then enroll in the 2 TESU residency courses later (about 3-6 months)?
BABA, New England College, 2019
(05-13-2020, 06:20 PM)harrypotter Wrote: I'm trying to figure out the pre-approval process at TESU. I asked them last night if some UL ACE & NCCRS courses from a specific provider could be used in the AOS but they told me I would need to apply to find out. If I were to apply would I need to register/enroll in a TESU course(s) or can I apply without enrolling in a course & just get pre-approval, then enroll in the 2 TESU residency courses later (about 3-6 months)?

You can apply and be in an accepted state for up to a year before you have to re-apply. Enrolling is a separate process and requires signing up to take at least one class or TECEP exam.

That said, while you can discuss courses with your admissions counselor, you cannot get courses officially pre-approved until you are actually enrolled.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • Clepper43, harrypotter
Thankfully, enrolling only costs $100 or $200 at a minimum. $50 application fee + $50 for the medical terminology TECEP or $150 for a different undergraduate TECEP. I'm going to go with the $50 one myself since I don't need that one and it doesn't matter if I pass or not.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • harrypotter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 770 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Lightbulb College classes in high school, Transfer Policy? pilot 3 649 02-02-2023, 01:18 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  PowerBi Classes ashkir 0 346 01-25-2023, 03:42 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  onlinedegree.com free classes? ece2001biz 6 918 01-20-2023, 06:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Any cheap of free Physical Education classes out there? mdel210201 4 816 09-12-2022, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Free Non Credit Italian Classes from Wellesley College lisarox 1 538 09-11-2022, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Saylor Proctoring $5 for all classes now! bjcheung77 18 2,640 03-16-2022, 06:33 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  ACE credit for culinary classes on Sur la Table Vle045 4 895 06-24-2021, 10:34 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Spanish classes - Study.com bjcheung77 1 811 05-17-2021, 05:15 PM
  Classes through XAMK Open Learn wow 5 1,599 09-15-2020, 03:19 AM