Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestige to polish the resume....
I'm several months out of my MBA at WGU, I'm not dissapointed with career trajectory, but I'm a little bored and missing the academics. I'm thinking of pursuing a Grad Cert but I don't want just any old thing. I'm thinking I want a prestige school or at least a well known school on the resume. My field is Health Care, though business/leadership studies would be fine and maybe preferable. I want to move beyond the narrow focus of Emergency Management and into system wide leadership. So something broader and more in line with senior leadership roles is what I'm seeking. Cost is a factor as this will likely be self funded, but I can take my time and work it out over a few years...

I found an interesting program at Johns Hopkins that I think qualifies: Business of Health Care

Something like this from the University of Florida is a consideration, though I don't know about concentration in Non - Profit: Curriculum - Online Nonprofit Management Certificate | UF

I love the idea of Harvard Extension, but nothing really fits the bill for me, this is an interesting program that isn't completely irrelevant...at only three courses at $2000/course it may actually be the most affordable and quickly doable that I have found: Business Communication Certificate | Harvard Extension

So what else is out there, think name recognition. I think this may be incorporated into my 3-5 year plan of world domination....actually I just want a corner office, meaningful work, and significant compensation (COO/CEO/Corporate VP/etc...).
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Texas A&M has graduate certificates from their Bush School of Government and Public Service, and even offer scholarships. The Certificate in Nonprofit Management is open enrollment (I think), and has a concentration in leadership and management.
Bush School of Government and Public Service - Texas A&M University - Graduate Certificates

UC Berkeley Extension has a professional certificate in leadership and management too:
Certificate Program in Leadership and Management | UC Berkeley Extension

If UC Berkeley isn't prestigious enough, then MIT's executive certificate in leadership and management might work. It requires a total of about two weeks on campus, and such a bargain at under $15K (depending on the program you choose).
Management and Leadership Certificate - Management Training - MIT Sloan Executive Education
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
I am not sure if there is anything that fits your needs, but UCLA Extension offers some affordable graduate certificates. Many of the University of California schools offer extension programs. I am not sure about prestige because I come from California so they may be more familiar to me than people who grew up elsewhere.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
Notre Dame has an open enrollment Certificate in Executive Management for ~$5K.
Certificate in Executive Management
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Some great ideas, much appreciated.

I sort of cringe at the thought of Berkeley....but man the price is really right! That's exactly the sort of hidden gem I'm looking for. MIT and Notre Dame would certainly work, are these two actually college credit or just stand alone certs? I think I want something that has a traditional structure (counts for regular credit and could maybe lead to another masters), BUT WILLING TO LOOK AT ANYTHING.

UCLA would potentially work, I will take a closer look. I don't really see anything at A&M, but I sure like the way they have developed their programs.
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I'm kind of digging these from Penn State: Penn State Online | Courses - Graduate Certificate in Enterprise Architecture
Penn State Online | Courses - Graduate Certificate in Project Management

Either can be used later to complete a second Masters. I like the fact that the first one is only 9 credits, 3 classes, that could be done at a leisurely pace. either cert leads to this Masters Penn State Online | Master of Project Management
AS in EMS August 2010

rebel100 Wrote:I'm kind of digging these from Penn State: Penn State Online | Courses - Graduate Certificate in Enterprise Architecture
Penn State Online | Courses - Graduate Certificate in Project Management

Either can be used later to complete a second Masters. I like the fact that the first one is only 9 credits, 3 classes, that could be done at a leisurely pace. either cert leads to this Masters Penn State Online | Master of Project Management

I like Penn State World Campus. Considered it myself when they first started.
cookderosa Wrote:I like Penn State World Campus. Considered it myself when they first started.
There is a lot to like about Penn State!

I sent of for information on the Johns Hopkins program...it is only 12 credits with the courses being from 1-6 credits. The student takes at least three courses of two credits each from the Carey School (JHU's business school)...this program is starting to look very appealing. I just might apply if I can get me head around the costs, sure wish I had an employer that would foot the bill.
AS in EMS August 2010

rebel100 Wrote:I'm several months out of my MBA at WGU, I'm not dissapointed with career trajectory, but I'm a little bored and missing the academics. I'm thinking of pursuing a Grad Cert but I don't want just any old thing. I'm thinking I want a prestige school or at least a well known school on the resume. My field is Health Care, though business/leadership studies would be fine and maybe preferable. I want to move beyond the narrow focus of Emergency Management and into system wide leadership. So something broader and more in line with senior leadership roles is what I'm seeking. Cost is a factor as this will likely be self funded, but I can take my time and work it out over a few years...

I found an interesting program at Johns Hopkins that I think qualifies: Business of Health Care

Something like this from the University of Florida is a consideration, though I don't know about concentration in Non - Profit: Curriculum - Online Nonprofit Management Certificate | UF

I love the idea of Harvard Extension, but nothing really fits the bill for me, this is an interesting program that isn't completely irrelevant...at only three courses at $2000/course it may actually be the most affordable and quickly doable that I have found: Business Communication Certificate | Harvard Extension

So what else is out there, think name recognition. I think this may be incorporated into my 3-5 year plan of world domination....actually I just want a corner office, meaningful work, and significant compensation (COO/CEO/Corporate VP/etc...).

I believe George Washington University has some good healthcare management programs.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
I was actually looking at HES after the WGU MBA, but I don't know if I can take much more writing after this...
Since I have almost completed the MBA, lately I have been considering another BS and an MS from WGU since I like the learning format so much and I still have a lot of my GI Bill left to cover all the cost...
2014 MBA Management & Strategy - WGU
2013 BS
Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology - TESC
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS
Nuclear Engineering Technology - TESC

[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resume Question ROYISAGIRL 11 1,096 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Resume Rewrite from Indeed Vle045 6 751 06-22-2022, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Resumé Writer recommendations SDO 5 1,672 05-09-2020, 12:10 PM
Last Post: asianphd
  Resume advise Rustydroid 3 1,536 10-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about resume Imbanewbie 8 2,099 08-21-2019, 12:26 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter Tips natshar 3 1,050 08-01-2019, 08:30 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Education Section of Job Resume katelynn 14 2,570 05-17-2019, 11:02 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question Regarding Resume Regards 33 6,364 06-10-2018, 12:39 PM
Last Post: icampy
  Ethics of listing degree(s) on resume Thorne 15 5,288 01-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Resume, Cover Letter - Introduction Letter Examples bjcheung77 17 3,425 10-02-2017, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Gcheads