Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Princeton is the only Ivy League school without online degrees
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Princeton is the only Ivy League school left without online degree programs. Without even counting extension and professional schools, all of the other Ivy League schools have online degrees (almost all graduate) that are indistinguishable from their on-campus programs. Just to name a few.

Havard - Ed.M and MPH

Brown - Cybersecurity

University of Pennsylvania - computer and information technology

Dartmouth - MPH

Columbia - many online degree programs in social work, education, legal studies, engineering, etc.

Cornell - engineering

Yale - executive MPH and physician assistant studies
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • collegecareerstudent
They don't even offer very many online courses.  They have some MOOCs but as far as I know these are non-credit.
They don't need to. None of the Ivies do.
(06-26-2021, 06:03 PM)ss20ts Wrote: They don't need to. None of the Ivies do.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your comment but I think the point of the thread is that ALL of the Ivies do.  Except Princeton.
(06-26-2021, 08:25 PM)Alpha Wrote:
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your comment but I think the point of the thread is that ALL of the Ivies do.  Except Princeton.

You're misunderstanding. None of the Ivies NEED to offer online degrees. That's not their bread & butter.
i don't think the argument is that any of them need to, i think it's just cool that we are seeing more and more offerings. Princeton will eventually catch up, I imagine.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(06-26-2021, 09:02 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-26-2021, 08:25 PM)Alpha Wrote:

You're misunderstanding. None of the Ivies NEED to offer online degrees. That's not their bread & butter.

Perhaps they feel it's not just about the money.  Perhaps it's about creating a model of higher education that enables institutions to move into the future.  So perhaps they feel that they do need to offer online degrees in order to hang onto their high status positions.  I'm just guessing but it seems to be a strong trend and I'm guessing they're not doing it just for the fun of it.  I'm just saying it based on observation.
(06-26-2021, 09:12 PM)Alpha Wrote: Perhaps they feel it's not just about the money.  Perhaps it's about creating a model of higher education that enables institutions to move into the future.  So perhaps they feel that they do need to offer online degrees in order to hang onto their high status positions.  I'm just guessing but it seems to be a strong trend and I'm guessing they're not doing it just for the fun of it.  I'm just saying it based on observation.

Part of what you're going to an Ivy League school for is the networking. You won't network the same online. Being on campus is also a huge part of the experience. Yeah I know everyone doesn't care about the on campus experience but it is different at an Ivy school. They also now have a full year plus of remote learning so they can see what worked and what didn't. I know many students were very UNhappy with remote learning and wanted to be on campus. My neighbor is the VP of academic affairs at the colleges in our town and overall the students did NOT like remote learning. Almost every student came back once campus opened.
(06-26-2021, 09:16 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-26-2021, 09:12 PM)Alpha Wrote: Perhaps they feel it's not just about the money.  Perhaps it's about creating a model of higher education that enables institutions to move into the future.  So perhaps they feel that they do need to offer online degrees in order to hang onto their high status positions.  I'm just guessing but it seems to be a strong trend and I'm guessing they're not doing it just for the fun of it.  I'm just saying it based on observation.

Part of what you're going to an Ivy League school for is the networking. You won't network the same online. Being on campus is also a huge part of the experience. Yeah I know everyone doesn't care about the on campus experience but it is different at an Ivy school. They also now have a full year plus of remote learning so they can see what worked and what didn't. I know many students were very UNhappy with remote learning and wanted to be on campus. My neighbor is the VP of academic affairs at the colleges in our town and overall the students did NOT like remote learning. Almost every student came back once campus opened.

Yes, I'm sure a lot of those students were unhappy to be pushed online.  It wasn't their choice.  They wanted to get away from mom and dad and have that college experience, etc. but they wound up back in their old bedrooms taking online courses in the middle of a pandemic.  Of course they were unhappy.  But online programs were really never developed for them.  They were designed for non-traditional students.  Older students returning to finish degrees, mid-career professionals looking for a competitive edge and younger students who need to work and then, of course, the small percentage of people who actually prefer online study.  Most of the "experts" seem to think that the future lies in hybrid programs.  There is clearly a demand for these courses and programs.  Harvard just unveiled their second online grad degree.  I'd be willing to bet they did a lot of research before taking that step and they're pretty certain they can fill those slots on a ongoing basis.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • rachel83az
(06-26-2021, 10:01 PM)Alpha Wrote: Yes, I'm sure a lot of those students were unhappy to be pushed online.  It wasn't their choice.  They wanted to get away from mom and dad and have that college experience, etc. but they wound up back in their old bedrooms taking online courses in the middle of a pandemic.  Of course they were unhappy.  But online programs were really never developed for them.  They were designed for non-traditional students.  Older students returning to finish degrees, mid-career professionals looking for a competitive edge and younger students who need to work and then, of course, the small percentage of people who actually prefer online study.  Most of the "experts" seem to think that the future lies in hybrid programs.  There is clearly a demand for these courses and programs.  Harvard just unveiled their second online grad degree.  I'd be willing to bet they did a lot of research before taking that step and they're pretty certain they can fill those slots on a ongoing basis.

If online programs are geared towards older students then why would anyone be surprised that Princeton doesn't have online degrees? Their students are not older students. The vast majority of undergrads at Ivies are 18-22. Even most grad students are not older students.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 328 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Has anyone tried recognizing ENEB/UC1 or UoPeople degrees in Australia? ecdw94 4 331 03-25-2024, 09:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 330 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 894 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 497 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 271 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,850 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 23 14,355 03-03-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 497 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,356 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac