Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Principles of Marketing - CLEP - REA book
I am scheduled for the Marketing CLEP in two weeks. I have been utilizing IC along with the REA CLEP Principles of Marketing book. I did the first practice test last night and scored a 68%. I'm really not too surprised since some of the questions seemed pretty silly and with the process of elimination, it was easy to pick out the correct answer. Is this typical of the REA books? This is my first time using a REA book. Are they typically known to be a decent study guide for a CLEP exam?

Also, if anyone has taken the Marketing CLEP, do you recall how many/how much I'll need to know about markups and markdowns (percentages, etc.)? Should I really study those formulas hard or just know the basics?

Thank you.
swthing64 Wrote:I am scheduled for the Marketing CLEP in two weeks. I have been utilizing IC along with the REA CLEP Principles of Marketing book. I did the first practice test last night and scored a 68%. I'm really not too surprised since some of the questions seemed pretty silly and with the process of elimination, it was easy to pick out the correct answer. Is this typical of the REA books? This is my first time using a REA book. Are they typically known to be a decent study guide for a CLEP exam?

Also, if anyone has taken the Marketing CLEP, do you recall how many/how much I'll need to know about markups and markdowns (percentages, etc.)? Should I really study those formulas hard or just know the basics?

Thank you.

[SIZE="3"]Concentrate on the basics, know your flashcards well plus the explanations too. The REA guide was top notch too. GOOD LUCK!![/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
ShotoJuku Wrote:Concentrate on the basics, know your flashcards well plus the explanations too. The REA guide was top notch too. GOOD LUCK!!

swthing,

I agree with ShotoJuku.

I used the REA book and Instantcert too, and they are more than enough to pass this exam.

There will probably only be one or two questions about markup/markdown, and they will be VERY EASY if you know the formula.

Eg,
XYZ Company purchases a product at wholesale for $100 and sells it at retail for $150. What is XYZ's markup percentage on this product?

A. 25%
B. 50%
C. 100%
D. 150%

So don't sweat the calculations...just make sure you know the formula.

There are existing threads on this board which will provide you with additional details about the Marketing exam.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Best of luck to you,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
Thanks for the responses. I am going to cover a lot of the IC material this weekend and also start on more of the practice tests in the REA book. I don't have a background in marketing but the material seems simple and common sense. I also just did a search on other posts regarding the marketing CLEP and found some helpful information. I hope it's as easy as everyone is saying. *biting nails* With the 48 I got in micro last month (needed a 50 to pass), I will go mental if I don't pass this one. :p
CLEP Marketing was the easiest test I've taken thus far. I only used the CLEP Official Study Guide, and scored a 71. I read it once, seemed easy enough, and so I took it the next day. There were perhaps four markup related questions. The Study Guide was dead on, and I swear I even had one or two questions that were exactly the same even down to which letter was the correct answer.
Thanks for the information. Do you have any background in Marketing? I also looked at the CLEP study guide, briefly that is. But I honestly don't know if I could score a 71 by just looking over the study guide and with no background in Marketing. I'm currently doing IC and using the REA book. I will do the official CLEP Marketing guide once I get closer to my actual test date so as to gauge where I'm at. How do you people do it by just looking over the study guide from CLEP for a particular subject? I know some of it seemed like common sense (for Marketing that is) but some of the terminology I just wouldn't know without previous experience. Thoughts?

siersema Wrote:CLEP Marketing was the easiest test I've taken thus far. I only used the CLEP Official Study Guide, and scored a 71. I read it once, seemed easy enough, and so I took it the next day. There were perhaps four markup related questions. The Study Guide was dead on, and I swear I even had one or two questions that were exactly the same even down to which letter was the correct answer.
I have no previous experience, just an interest in general business. A little informal help with previous employers I guess. I've also been a consumer most of my life and I think that helps a lot Smile There seemed to be a good amount of questions that were easy to me such as what is a loss leader, product placement, cooperative advertising and so on. The one thing that I was a little surprised by was the number of questions that were related to e-commerce (perhaps 8-10). I don't think the study guide reflected these, but they weren't difficult. One of them even asked how an online vendor creates a community for it's customers.. mmm what are we using right now? Smile

I don't normally take a test with such a small amount of study. I usually take a practice test (an official one if possible) and then base my study off how well I did on it. I've only skipped additional study on the Marketing & Management CLEPs.

Good Luck!
What is this book and where can I purchase them ?
adrian Wrote:What is this book and where can I purchase them ?

You can find the REA CLEP guides nearly anywhere.. here's a link to one addition of it on Amazon, just do a search on Amazon to see the various versions of this book (just updated every few years)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0878919...oding=UTF8

REA Guides are good overviews on the subject geared towards passing the test, they also include multiple practice tests (which in my opinion are the most important part of the book).

CLEP Subject Guides can be found here

http://store.collegeboard.com/productlis...PerPage=10

CLEP Subject guides are 50(ish) questions on the subject that are similar in content and structure to the real exam. There's also a very small overview of the sections of the exam.
BLS CIS & Psychology Excelsior, MS IT & MS IM Aspen University, Pursuing MBA Columbia Southern.
I'd be happy to send you my book in a few weeks when I am finished with it - just let me know.

adrian Wrote:What is this book and where can I purchase them ?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Futurelearn has BA degrees in Marketing & Design for 13k USD. Masters for 7k USD. nyvrem 1 245 02-16-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 474 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,802 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 830 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  CBE Marketing Names sanantone 4 581 07-04-2022, 06:54 AM
Last Post: dbinghamjr
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,262 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,620 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Exclamation Is Sophia similar to Study in terms of course format and allow Open Book exams? OP88 4 1,293 05-26-2021, 05:29 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  UMPI YourPace now offering BABA Marketing starting in August ashkir 3 1,488 04-27-2021, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Vle045
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,253 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007