Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Principles of Supervision
I have read some post on here about this test, but many of them say "easy" or "hard", but not exactly what is on the test? I did see one post that stated that there were scenerios on it. I have been studying for the past week and a half for this and feel that next week would be a great time to take it. I just haven't a clue if I am prepared well enough. I seem to really know the IC material, but am a bit worried that I am over looking something. Anyone help me out here?

THANK YOU!!
Mom of 5 kids([COLOR="magenta"]11, 10, 7, 5, and 3) and when My kids grow up I want to be a Human Resource Manager!

12 classes left for my bachelors!! Smile
3 UL classes :confused:
9 LL classes Rolleyes

Have taken:

Here's To Your Health 54
Drug And Alcohol Abuse 51
Ethics In America 53
Introduction To Computing 48
[/COLOR]
50fingersntoes Wrote:I have read some post on here about this test, but many of them say "easy" or "hard", but not exactly what is on the test? I did see one post that stated that there were scenerios on it. I have been studying for the past week and a half for this and feel that next week would be a great time to take it. I just haven't a clue if I am prepared well enough. I seem to really know the IC material, but am a bit worried that I am over looking something. Anyone help me out here?

THANK YOU!!

Hi 50,

Try not to get overly nervous about this exam. I like to think that I am very honest about which exams are more difficult than others. If this exam was amongst the harder exams, or if it required the use of additional resources to prepare adequately, I would ABSOLUTELY tell you so.

In the case of Principles of Supervision, I feel very confident in telling you that, if you have studied Instantcert for the past week and half, and you understand all the concepts it presents, you WILL pass this exam.

There will be some questions requiring you to know some basic terminology. For example:

Chain of Command
Span of Control
Line and Staff Organization
Matrix Organization
Centralized v. Decentralized
Bona Fide Occupational Qualifications (BFOQ)
On-the-Job Training
Vestibule Training
Autocratic Leaders
Democratic Leaders
Participative Leaders
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA)
Etc.

There will also be some mild 'scenario' type questions. They won't be lengthy or in-depth. For example:

John is a supervisor at a company that mass-produces gidgets. All the workers he supervises perform the same task (attaching a warning label to gidgets as they pass by on a conveyor belt). John is required to oversee the overall process, but doesn't often find himself having to communicate at length which each employee. In John's case, his span of control is more likely to be which of the following:

A) Wide
B) Narrow
C) Tall
D) Short

If you know that "Span of Control" refers to the number of employees under one supervisor, and you know that Span of Control can be either narrow (few employees) or wide (many employees), you should be able to eliminate answers C and D. Then, if you recognize that John's employees only require a limited amount of direct supervision from him, then you could assume that he could handle a lot of employees, and thus his span of control is more likely to be wide (A).

Also, you will find that a lot of the questions can be answered using nothing more than basic common sense.

I don't know if you already have the DSST Official Study Guide book. If not, it's well worth having. It contains multiple mock tests for a half a dozen or so DANTES exams, and a summary of the actual material you will need to know for each one. You can access it free of charge here:

http://www.petersons.com/pdf/free/DSST.pdf

I hope that helps.

You're going to do great,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]

Once again, snazzle is right. I took this test on a whim without studying and scored a 50 which is good for a "B" at Excelsior College. I just applied life experience to the questions and found the them to be fairly easy. I didn't know all the answers, but if you have studied you should do very well.
[SIZE="2"]WORKING TOWARDS B.S. OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE FROM EXCELSIOR COLLEGE.[/SIZE]
UPDATED 1/13
COMPLETED 113.33 HRS.
NEED 14.67
[COLOR="Green"]RECENTLY TAKEN TEST: RISE & FALL - 12/12 - 46 (OUCH!)
NEXT TESTS: World Conflicts, Juvenile Delinquency, Ethics, College Writing
LAST TRADITIONAL CLASS: Social Science Research
[/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]
CLEP/DSST - 51 HRS
TRADITIONAL - 53
MILITARY - 9
[/COLOR]
Thank you guys. Knock on wood for me!! Going to take this next week. Going to give myself the weekend to look it over really well one more time.
Mom of 5 kids([COLOR="magenta"]11, 10, 7, 5, and 3) and when My kids grow up I want to be a Human Resource Manager!

12 classes left for my bachelors!! Smile
3 UL classes :confused:
9 LL classes Rolleyes

Have taken:

Here's To Your Health 54
Drug And Alcohol Abuse 51
Ethics In America 53
Introduction To Computing 48
[/COLOR]
[SIZE="4"]Good Luck Mom of 5!![/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DSST Principles of Public Speaking MrsIrie 12 2,886 09-04-2020, 10:55 PM
Last Post: momofminis
  Study.com materials for DSST Principles of Finance? Cordero9001 1 1,028 04-20-2019, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  Where can I find a study guide for Principles of Supervision? suzycupcake 4 1,262 03-17-2019, 08:37 PM
Last Post: suzycupcake
  Any Experience with Principles of finance ECE, Quantitative analysis ECE? elikugel 1 995 12-17-2018, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Devin1118
  DSST Principles of Public Speaking Part 2 Question- Timer available? elenlushk 1 1,507 11-15-2018, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  What's up with the Principles of Finance DSST? studyandpass5 6 3,214 06-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Last Post: studyandpass5
  Principles of Marketing CLEP Lyle912 1 1,194 04-08-2018, 08:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  DSST Principles of Public Speaking stampbuyme 8 3,836 03-25-2018, 05:36 PM
Last Post: LSmith
  The best material(s) to study to ensure I past the principles of marketing clep?? kokoko678 5 3,575 02-01-2018, 03:39 PM
Last Post: MSK9
  Need Skype tutor for Clep Principles of Marketing. Need to have recently passed exam. kokoko678 0 864 01-30-2018, 03:18 PM
Last Post: kokoko678