Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Prior learning assessment
I am looking for info on PLA's from TESC. When I type PLA or prior learning assesment into search nothing comes up. Can someone direct me???
First here Thomas Edison State College | PLA Self-Assessment Guide

Then here Thomas Edison State College/ Standard Prior Learning Assessment

Then punch in descriptions here Thomas Edison State College/ Search the Prior Learning Assessment Description Database

Good luck!
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Geezer Wrote:First here Thomas Edison State College | PLA Self-Assessment Guide

Then here Thomas Edison State College/ Standard Prior Learning Assessment

Then punch in descriptions here Thomas Edison State College/ Search the Prior Learning Assessment Description Database

Good luck!
This is good advice! I hope all goes well for you.
~*~ Rachel~*~
To everything there is a season,
and a time to every purpose under heaven.
Ec. 3:1

CLEP:
College Mathematics(6)--score 60
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature(6)--score 66
English Composition(6)--score 50
US History I(3)--score 63
US History II(3)--score 67
American Government(3)--score 59
Social Sciences and History(6)--score 58

DSST:
Introduction to Computing(3)--score 440
Management Information Systems(3)UL--score 406

ALEKS:
Beginning Algebra(3)
Intermediate Algebra(3)
College Algebra(3)

Straighter Line:
Intro to sociology
World Religions
Business Ethics
Western Civ. 1
Cultural Anthropology

To God be the glory!
Thank you! I have been to those sites though. I was looking for discussions within InstaCert, maybe info on people that have gone that route before. It seems folks on here have done everything and have alot of info to share. I just couldn't find any threads on the subject.
http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...sible.html

Check out Cook's comments from this thread

and also these

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...-plas.html
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
I am now considering doing a PLA or two for my Nat Sci concentration.
Software engineering is a 300 level class and should not be a problem for me since I do it on a day to day basis. Here are the course objectives.
I am thinking that I could simply write a paper addressing each one of these objectives to demonstrate my knowledge of them. This is very similar to the papers I write for NCU.
I could imagine using this as the outline and simply writing a page or two for each objective. The resulting paper would contain 7 pages of content plus intro and conclusion and could include figures etc so we are really talking about a 10 page paper. I do these all the time in my MBA classes and could probably finish this one in a weekend.

What do you guys think?

COURSE OBJECTIVES
After completing this course, you should be able to:

* Explain what is encompassed by the term software engineering.
* Describe software engineering process layers and apply the process framework to software development.
* Analyze the similarities and differences between the various process models.
* Discuss agile development principles.
* Discuss requirements modeling and essential design concepts.
* Discuss the significance of object-oriented programming and its application to software engineering.
* Explain the importance of the user interface design and analyze the major design issues involved.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Ryan,

Excellent idea!! I was going to suggest the same, but noted you seemed more interested in the graduate courses. PLAs have a great reputation for those that have the experience.

I sent you a PM of the graduate level PLA format from an upperclassman at tesc. As you know, undergrad is less work 5-8pgs. I think I still have the undergrad format on another computer. If I find it I'll send it over later; if not, at least you have this as a reference.

Good luck!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Thanks so much.
I might still do the grad courses if TESC will allow it at the undergrad price but the PLA seems like my best alternative.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
I have found a few Sample PLAs but nothing really in a technical field. I am tring to obtain PLA on a few Electronics classes. I read through one that was for acting but it is hard to relate how I should plan on doing my on electronics. I purchased a book and it should be here in a week or two, I was just wondering if there are any other good places to find sample PLAs on Electronics or some type of Technical type subject. Thanks for any help you can give me.
phipps58 Wrote:I have found a few Sample PLAs but nothing really in a technical field. I am tring to obtain PLA on a few Electronics classes. I read through one that was for acting but it is hard to relate how I should plan on doing my on electronics. I purchased a book and it should be here in a week or two, I was just wondering if there are any other good places to find sample PLAs on Electronics or some type of Technical type subject. Thanks for any help you can give me.

A PLA is the ultimate experience in adaptable coursework. Your final product will vary greatly depending on the course, mentor, and what kinds of evidence you can provide. The foundation of it will be a written paper, but the more you can supplement with videos, photos, or other documents, the less important the paper is likely to be. The PLA I took at TESC was in Intermediate Television Production, but at my community college I took two more, one in Personal Finance, and the other in Human Relations & Effective Teams. Each was different but each was a fun experience. If you've got the experience I'd go for it, as long as you can write well you'll do fine. PM me if you want me to email over a copy of my Television PLA (list an email address).

Pick the PLA you are looking to do and I'm sure you'll do great.

Keep in mind you can use the list of "normal" PLAs, use the list at Thomas Edison State College: Course Offerings, or can propose a new one based on the course outline from another school. The options are endless...
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DSST credit on TESU Individual Learning Account (Credit Bank)? Kelly Green 6 2,010 08-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: jsd
  TECEP - Learning in the Digital Age - where does it fit? dfrecore 5 1,836 08-10-2018, 01:02 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  URGENT HELP NEEDED! Survey on Online Digital Learning due by 23 June for Capstone! Nightmoves5 6 1,794 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Last Post: fork
  Individual learning account? Mab81 2 1,054 06-21-2018, 05:57 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU Assessment Updated? Cheeseburrito 13 2,835 05-11-2018, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Cheeseburrito
  Civic & Global Learning Section cleper123 3 1,236 12-20-2017, 12:52 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Thoughts on TESU BA Psychology plan - no prior credits JustMeof3 7 1,632 05-22-2017, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  What is TESU Assessment Credit? studyandpass5 3 2,006 05-11-2017, 01:35 PM
Last Post: studyandpass5
  TES-100 Cornerstone: Lifelong Learning Can't be waived. TESUAbroad 31 4,087 03-01-2017, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jsd
  FYI: TESU Prior Learning Assessment Webinar davewill 0 920 12-22-2016, 06:43 PM
Last Post: davewill