Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prior learning portfolio
Has anyone on here actually done a prior learning portfolio for credit on yourpace? I have prior work experience I think would apply but I haven’t seen anyone post about doing so successfully, or even attempting it.

I have a series of interviews along with the written educational guide and have built a communication network around the subject of education for my job, and I feel it would work nicely.
I think it was ss20ts who said that the PLA option is actually much harder than the classes themselves. Use your prior experience to blow through the classes instead of spending time writing gigantic essays about your experience.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-10-2021, 05:56 AM)studyspo.dreaming Wrote: Has anyone on here actually done a prior learning portfolio for credit on yourpace? I have prior work experience I think would apply but I haven’t seen anyone post about doing so successfully, or even attempting it.

I have a series of interviews along with the written educational guide and have built a communication network around the subject of education for my job, and I feel it would work nicely.

From what was told me the PLA's are much more work than the actual classes. You have write papers and document everything. It may require assistance from past supervisors which isn't always easy to get. The actual courses are much shorter and faster. less papers/projects. You don't need assistance from anyone. I skipped the PLA's. I know I couldn't have completed them as fast as the classes. A finished several classes in 3 days including the rough draft and final draft of the Final Assessment. My longest class was 2 weeks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu
I was told to expect 5 pages per credit in a PLA. The final exam is just 10-15 pages most of the time so I didn't find it worth it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • Pikachu
If taking courses are cheaper, easier, and faster combined than doing a PLA, that is what I would recommend as well.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-10-2021, 08:20 PM)ashkir Wrote: I was told to expect 5 pages per credit in a PLA. The final exam is just 10-15 pages most of the time so I didn't find it worth it.

I think it depends on the class. Most of the classes I took I was told to plan for over 20 pages for the PLA. All classes had a shorter Final Assessment than 20+ pages. Not to mention some were exams so they were even faster. One class was a 1500 word essay. Most classes I took were 5-7 pages on average for the Final Assessment. Some projects were longer but I also went above and beyond the requirements since I want to move into project management. Those were the classes I made my projects longer than the requirement. Some classes literally took me 3 days to complete from start to finish including submitting the final version of the Final Assessment. No way would a PLA be faster. 

I also wonder how grading works with a PLA. Is it just pass/fail? I never asked. I also knew I needed a 3.0 or higher GPA because I wanted to move on to grad school when I finished at UMPI. The 3.0 had to be in my last 60 credits. Something to think about and find out about if someone wants to do PLA's and go on to grad school.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow GEC Critical & Creative Thinking Learning Objective D - Sophia equivalents? mythomagician 2 68 Yesterday, 07:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BABA MAT 140 Requirement and Learning Objective 3A, 3B - Covered by Sophia Calculus? FM1 13 1,064 12-14-2023, 04:56 PM
Last Post: ishady
  accounting testing and learning methods geddon436 1 335 05-30-2023, 10:13 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  YourPace Learning Journal Entries Infinite-Telephone52 4 558 05-09-2023, 02:40 PM
  Should I earn credits at Sophia Learning before UMPI even with a PELL grant? Infinite-Telephone52 26 2,159 05-01-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: braven
  Upper level courses prior to starting at UMPI disneymama417 10 2,240 10-11-2022, 08:40 PM
  Portfolio Assessments, hard? FastTrackDegree 6 885 02-17-2022, 01:09 PM
  Pre-work prior to 3/14 Start Mr T 16 1,538 02-12-2022, 12:24 PM