Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems with Excelsior
Hello,

I am frustrated with Excelsior University and need some advice. I have about 90 transfer credits from Sophia, CLEP, and community college. With help from degree forum (thanks everyone!) I made a plan and decided that going to Excelsior would be the fastest way for me to get a Bachelor's degree in Liberal Arts.

I applied to Excelsior and sent my transcripts (my CLEP transcript most likely hasn't arrived yet). However, I know for a fact that my other transcripts were received as they were sent electronically through Parchment, and I got an email from Parchment stating they were received and downloaded. But, when I log in to my application, it says under both transcripts "not received yet." I emailed my admissions counselor and received no response. A couple days later, I got an email from my counselor basically saying, "Welcome to Excelsior, email me with any questions you might have." I replied with did you get my email regarding my transcripts? Its been 2 business days and I haven't gotten a reply. I called customer service as well and didn't get a clear answer. I'm concerned as the deadline to register for courses is quickly approaching. 

This process has been very discouraging. If they are this disorganized/difficult to work with before even paying any tuition, I'm not sure I'd like to continue on like this for 6 months. Is there someone higher up that could maybe help out with this? and how would I be able to contact them? Any other suggestions are welcome too.
Unfortunately, Excelsior has a reputation for being exactly 0 help unless you sign up for a class. If you are determined to go with Excelsior, I would probably go ahead and sign up for the 1-credit required class ASAP in order to activate "real help" mode. Otherwise, you might want to consider either UMPI or TESU. UMPI would probably be cheaper, though with more writing. TESU will cost more, but will accept things like Coopersmith and you can get away with (mostly) just exams. How many CC credits do you have?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Excelsior is horrible to deal with. My advisor wouldn't respond for at least a week and I was registered for EU's classes! I ended up leaving EU and going for UMPI. The whole process at UMPI was much smoother and easier. People actually respond to their emails at UMPI. Getting Eu's advisors to respond to even basic questions was like pulling teeth. Most of the time she didn't know the answer and had to research it....2 weeks later I'd get a response that rarely answered my question.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
I have had a similar experience in that there is usually a week turnaround for answers and it really sucks when you are pushing hard.

That being said, the answers have always come back "fair".

If I were you, I would get more credits before making things official with EU, unless you are going to transfer more things in fast (or will take more EU classes).  In February they will start charging $300 per class transfer AFTER you enroll.

I have one week left in my Capstone and the classes have been pretty well thought out and the professors and advisors have been fair, but I do think i got in just in time to do things the easy cheap way with EU.

For some people though, their online programs may be worth the extra cost, the classes are not "easy" work-wise but are well thought out.  I suspect they are looking towards having more students transfer in with 60-90 credits than us forum people transferring 113.

Good luck, it is a tough decision so weigh what you value the most.
I think I got lucky... I'm about to graduate, It never took me longer than a week to get my evaluation done, and the advisor always replied within 24 hours...
In Progress
Georgia Tech OMSCS Cool
Completed
TESU BA Computer Science & ASNSM Mathematics
Conferred: 09/2023
Excelsior University BS Psychology 
Conferred: 02/2023

(12-14-2022, 07:31 PM)frankc Wrote: I think I got lucky...  I'm about to graduate, It never took me longer than a week to get my evaluation done, and the advisor always replied within 24 hours...

I would have to say so far i have had the same results.  I transfereed 113 credits in and am currently finishing the last 7 credits with them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 408 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 938 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,585 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,647 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,318 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,338 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,076 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,738 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,256 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,312 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az