Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Procrastination help.. thank you
Hi..
Any advice on how to stay motivated online?
I have to finish four courses Eng Comp1 and 2 Bio and Algebra and I'm finding it really difficult to stay focused. 
i.
Take a break at least once a day to visualize exactly why you're doing what you're doing. Will a degree help you get a new job? Better pay in your current job? Make a list of things you can buy or debts you can pay off because of the availability of the degree.

Here are some other ideas to stay motivated in general: https://nickwignall.com/stay-motivated/
(09-21-2020, 11:33 PM)cyndigee Wrote: Hi..
Any advice on how to stay motivated online?
I have to finish four courses Eng Comp1 and 2 Bio and Algebra and I'm finding it really difficult to stay focused. 
i.

Hi Cyndi,

Maybe I can help.  When it comes to college, I was a Master Procrastinator.

I don't know where you're learning right now, but what helped motivate me was adding the completed courses to my ACENet credit bank.

It took me an embarrassing amount of time to accumulate six credits.  But when I could complete a course online, add it to ACE, and then see it in my "completed" list the next day, it gave me the kind of concrete reinforcement I needed to keep my momentum going.

Before I knew it I had twenty new credits, and I started to think, "Hey, I really can do this".  So I doubled my efforts, and suddenly I was calling my advisor for approval to take six UL courses.

He replied, telling me essentially (but in very polite and collegiate terms) "Dude dude dude dude dude.  We're short-handed and very busy here.  I'll get one or two approved for you, but you really need to have more than twenty credits before we do all that".

"Oh,' I told him, "I've got to send you an updated transcript.  I'm at 90 credits".

The silence on the line was deafening.

So what worked for me was the immediate gratification of seeing the numbers roll up as I completed each course.  YMMV!
I use a notebook to track my progress and goals and "block" specific times per day for studying. It works.

I see where I am at and what my goals are. I also use a calendar to make sure I stay within the deadlines.
Comp 1 and 2 take it out if you. I would plan to do something g engaging that interests you and then a core you don't like. Are you registered anywhere yet?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tlm's post:
  • TwinMom
Thank you everyone. I'm a CUNY transfer student from years ago.. transferred to Bellevue .. I was initially told I'd get credits for all the 20+ years I worked in the field .. I did get some but all that stands between me and a BA/BS are these four highly annoying core classes. I'm taking Eng comp1 and Bio with Sophia. Not that easy to stay on top of things whfn there's so much else going on... I've still got to complete Eng Comp2 and College Alegbra. What is ACE? Would that help me? Thanks so much everyone!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes cyndigee's post:
  • rachel83az
https://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseacti...ripts.main is for credit banking, if you do a class with a third party that offers college credits ace puts them on your transcript. I was short an elective and used my old PADI dive certification for 1 credit. All my Sophia, SL and ACTFL credits had to go through there. It is also a vault to hold them forever.

I was exactly where you are I hated Comp 1 and 2. I did SL and it was just a lot of work that I felt I didn't need. I had a ton of credits in various English classes so was resenting it. I think Sophia might be less writing than SL. You are almost there. Choosing a graduation date and working backwards helped me. Hang in there..
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tlm's post:
  • ss20ts
Eng Comp II on Sophia is driving me nuts. I'm tired of writing. I'm really tired of writing about things I have zero interest in. It's reallllllly hard to write about something you do not care about. I'm forcing myself to push through this week and get it done so it's out of my life forever. I already have several English courses including honors courses but am still being required to take yet another one. I'd rather do it the Sophia way than the university way where I'd be writing until the cows come home.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az, TwinMom
(09-22-2020, 02:12 PM)Tlm Wrote: https://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseacti...ripts.main is for credit banking, if you do a class with a third party that offers college credits ace puts them on your transcript. I was short an elective and used my old PADI dive certification for 1 credit.  All my Sophia, SL and ACTFL credits had to go through there. It is also a vault to hold them forever.  

I was exactly where you are I hated Comp 1 and 2. I did SL and it was just a lot of work that I felt I didn't need. I had a ton of credits in various English classes so was resenting it.  I think Sophia might be less writing than SL.  You are almost there. Choosing a graduation date and working backwards helped me.  Hang in there..
Thanks so much Tim! I will try your suggestions. I really appreciate your message. What is SL?

(09-22-2020, 02:57 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Eng Comp II on Sophia is driving me nuts. I'm tired of writing. I'm really tired of writing about things I have zero interest in. It's reallllllly hard to write about something you do not care about. I'm forcing myself to push through this week and get it done so it's out of my life forever. I already have several English courses including honors courses but am still being required to take yet another one. I'd rather do it the Sophia way than the university way where I'd be writing until the cows come home.
oh wow.. I cannot even imagine how infuriating Eng Comp 2 us if I cannot even get through Eng Comp 1!!!  Sad  I hear you, though.. Sophia seems to be a good choice, as compared to some other options. Thanks so much for your message! Good luck to you!
SL is Straighterline.

I do like their platform, I took quite a few courses through them including English Composition II.

I'd say difficulty was medium but easy to follow guidelines/rubrics.

I certainly enjoyed reading Shelley's Frankenstein.