Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Procrastination help.. thank you
(09-23-2020, 04:51 AM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: SL is Straighterline.

I do like their platform, I took quite a few courses through them including English Composition II.

I'd say difficulty was medium but easy to follow guidelines/rubrics.

I certainly enjoyed reading Shelley's Frankenstein.

I didn't want their Eng Comp II because I've read that book a few times for high school and honors English in college. I don't like the book. LOL so I went with Sophia. I'm in the home stretch. My biggest is problem is that I am over the gen eds and writing about topics I don't care about. I just want the mea and potatoes part of the degree not the bread, carrots, and peas...LOL

I will say the Sophia Eng Comp II course is soooooooo much better than taking it at a university and having to do even more writing and read books. I keep telling myself that is the alternative. Yeah no thanks. Just keep plugging away.
I was familiar with the book too, that is also what made it easier to analyze and write an essay about. I like the book though, so maybe that makes a difference on how you like the course or not.
(09-23-2020, 01:13 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: I was familiar with the book too, that is also what made it easier to analyze and write an essay about. I like the book though, so maybe that makes a difference on how you like the course or not.

Sometimes in life we just have to eat the frog! Smile
(09-23-2020, 01:24 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-23-2020, 01:13 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: I was familiar with the book too, that is also what made it easier to analyze and write an essay about. I like the book though, so maybe that makes a difference on how you like the course or not.

Sometimes in life we just have to eat the frog! Smile

I needed to hear that everyday!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tlm's post:
  • ss20ts
(09-22-2020, 05:00 PM)cyndigee Wrote: oh wow.. I cannot even imagine how infuriating Eng Comp 2 us if I cannot even get through Eng Comp 1!!!  Sad 

I think there is more writing in Sophia Eng I than II...I just have the last essay to write in II and I'm donezo.
Thankfully I took AP in high school so I have never had to deal with English Comp classes. I hate even the idea of taking them!

For all of your other woes, I agree with Lacedonia, I like StraighterLines format; I’m taking Algebra among other classes through them. This is the first time in my life I’ve ever had higher than a C in any math class. I know math is a weakness of mine so I do actually take notes and spend way more time than the average person here does on SL, but I’ve also just put my membership on pause a few times cause I got burnt out/life got in the way. Came back, reviewed my notes and kept going.

As far as procrastination advice, the way I do it, especially if you’re taking multiple classes at once, is dedicate one day to a certain class, then the next day to another class....just set yourself goals and then don’t go to bed until you’ve completed your weekly goal for that class. When I sit down, I throw on some music to jam to to keep me energized/motivated and just stick with it for as long as possible.

I’m technically technically 10 years in the making on a bachelors degree, so I know all about procrastination! Once you get going and see your progress, you’ll find you actually want to complete things.
Thank you everyone.
I finished Eng Comp 1 and Biology. Now I need to finish Eng Comp2 and Algebra.
Where would you suggest I do Eng Comp2? Sophia? SL? Davar?
thank you!
Sophia will almost certainly be fastest for English Comp II, but the grading can be iffy. If you already have a Sophia membership, try there first. Sophia's Algebra is very good.

SL (from what I've heard) is more work for English Comp but the grading is more fair.

I don't know about Davar.

Another option is to take the English Comp II TECEP and be over and done with it (almost) immediately. From what's been mentioned in the forum, it's not that bad as far as TECEPs go.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(09-21-2020, 11:33 PM)cyndigee Wrote: Hi..
Any advice on how to stay motivated online?
I have to finish four courses Eng Comp1 and 2 Bio and Algebra and I'm finding it really difficult to stay focused. 
i.

There is a great course on Coursera-Learning How to Learn that also deals with procrastination.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-...me/welcome
Completed:
TESU - BSBA General Management (2021)
TESU - ASNSM Computer Science (2021)

IT Certificates:
A+, N+, S+, AWS Cloud Pract