Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ProctorU
alzee Wrote:Well yes and no. Yes to the first half, in that these are just scripts defined by proctorU to automatically run, but the second half is a no or at best maybe. The possibility certainly exists that the proctors can run scripts on demand, it depends on what features their version of logmein+rescue has and what sort of controls are in place at their end.

I'm not paranoid about it and have no reason to distrust them -- I've taken several dozen exams through ProctorU on my only laptop, which as a IT consultant is directly responsible for all of my income -- I just want people to have all the facts.

If someone is concerned about the program or scripts, they should create a new user that is not an administrator or even a "power user" and do their proctoring under that user. ProctorU won't have access to anything important that way. Others have suggested running it in VMWare but that's no longer an option I think -- one of the scripts I've seen run has vmware in the name and is, presumably, checking for that exact situation.

I stand corrected and appreciate the info. At any rate, I agree with your assessment that it works as advertised, and like you see no actual threat. Your solutions for the paranoid are reasonable.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Thanks for everyone who commented. I will use an old laptop without anything on it, like was suggested. Wink
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant
OakLakeNC Wrote:Are you worried about safety because they take a photo of your ID?

I am, and unlike using a different computer for testing, I don't see anyway around the ID thing.
ProctorU is really dominating this space (3rd party remote proctoring via webcam) and I expect their business model and security protocol is being scrutinized constantly by companies and institutions they are "pitching" to every time someone registers their institution to use them.
ProctorU has picked up a ton of new clients, so my trust is in the collective.
Lots of FAQ regarding security if you're interested- https://www.proctoru.com/institutions/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ProctorU moving to new 'Guardian Browser' system jch 4 2,201 05-17-2023, 04:04 PM
Last Post: jch
  ProctorU to Become Meazure Learning eriehiker 6 1,147 10-04-2021, 04:28 PM
Last Post: ctcarl
  ProctorU TwinMom 15 2,223 03-22-2021, 01:23 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  ProctorU data breach jch 8 1,837 08-30-2020, 06:32 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  ProctorU Premium Fee Issues ctcarl 2 1,332 05-04-2020, 05:00 PM
Last Post: ctcarl
  ProctorU natshar 3 955 04-20-2020, 02:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Shocked ProctorU issues? mariorun 6 1,466 10-17-2019, 07:27 AM
Last Post: BrighterFuture88
  Serious (possible) issue with proctorU cecilgambe7 10 2,946 08-27-2019, 09:31 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Question about RPNow vs ProctorU Imbanewbie 15 3,758 08-25-2019, 09:18 PM
Last Post: cecilgambe7
Question ProctorU - what happens if your internet disconnects during an exam? Kelly Green 4 10,270 09-10-2018, 08:14 AM
Last Post: zzzz24