Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Production/Operations Management and Business Policy advice for Excelsior
I see above the MGMT 311 class is the Prod/Ops Mgmt class. Which one is the business policy class? MGMT 485?

How much time did you spend a day to knock out the 311 class in a month.

Thanks in advnace.
auminer49r Wrote:Hello all of you fellow CLEPers and Dante exam takers,

I'm reposting this to let you all know that I have finished Production/Operations Management in 1 month with an A+.

If you're going for a business degree at Excelsior College, you will need credits in Production/Operations Management and Business Policy. CLEP and DSST do not offer these exams. TECEP exams seem to be the popular alternative, however, they are reputed to be difficult, expensive, and slow to provide your scores. Rumor has it they cost $450 each, and it takes a good 6 weeks or longer to receive your results. Let me tell you about a cheaper, and possibly quicker alternative that will get you your 3 credits quicker than TECEP.

CSU-Pueblo (Colo St. Univ) offers independent study courses for both of the Excelsior College courses I mentioned. You pay tuition of $297 per course then the Professor emails you a syllabus (which is really a workbook of 20 Application Exercise assignments). You get 6 months to turn in the required assignments and to take 4 exams. The professor will email you an exam before you need it. He will email it to you to take at home. NO PROXY EXAMS!!! You can bust out the assignments and exams as quickly as possible and the professor usually grades them within 24 hours... actually I had most of them graded within a few hours when I submitted them in the morning.

I just finished Production/Operations Management in 1 month. I started on April 9 and finished on May 10.

Plus, the Prof is available for questions by email.
PLUS... They do NOT verify that you have met the prerequisite courses. Even though you would do yourself an injustice to skip over the prerequisite courses, in my opinion. You need them anyway.

You can take the course for $297 in... let's say.. 1 month and get a final grade right away. That sure beats spending $400 for a scary TECEP test that you don't know how well to study for and a long, drug out, lag time waiting for the test to be graded. Besides... what if you fail it?? What a waste of time AND money.
See both course descriptions on this page...

http://coned.colostate-pueblo.edu/In...entStudy/Mgmt/

I've done my research and I think you'd be doing something if you found a better value for Production/Operations Management and/or Business Policy at LSU (independent study) or anywhere else. LSU has a restriction on assignments per week. CSU-Pueblo does not.

The text book was $65 online with a CD that has software you need for the assignments. The CD is a MUST HAVE!!

Hope this info helps you as much as me.

that goes the same for some of the CLEP and DANTE exams as well.....
[SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

CLEP

Intro to Psychology- 50
Natural Sciences - 53
Western Civilization II- 57
Humanities - 61
History of US I - 59
Social Sciences & History - 54
Western Civilization I - 67
Principles of Mgmt- 53
Intro to Sociology -64

DANTES

Rise and Fall of Soviet Union - 54
Intro to Middle East- 56
Intro to World Religions- 74
Intro to Computing - 53
Principles of Supervision- 51
Mgmt Info Sys- 53
Intro to Buisness- 59
American Ethics-51
ChrisG Wrote:I see above the MGMT 311 class is the Prod/Ops Mgmt class. Which one is the business policy class? MGMT 485?

How much time did you spend a day to knock out the 311 class in a month.

Thanks in advnace.

Hi ChrisG, You are correct, MGMT 485 (Management Strategy and Policy) is the business policy equivalent. Another person from an earlier posting called Excelsior to see if MGMT 460 (Operations Strategy) would qualify as Business Policy and their response was NO.

To answer your other question:
I work M-F, 5 days a week in an office. So, every workday when 4:00 rolled around, I would spend an hour or so doing one Application Exercise on average (sometimes 2, sometimes 0). The exams would require more time; maybe 2 days each. I took my weekends off from school. There are 20 Application Excercises and 4 exams.

Just know this. The Professor wants to see your work... and if you use Excel OM, or POM for Windows. All you have to do is print the spreadsheet that the program builds for you. Done! Even if you get the answer wrong, he will give you some points for showing the proper steps in your work.

Did you register for the class?
I have not registered yet but I think I might enroll in the MGMT 311 class next week.

Thanks for the information. It has been very helpful.
ChrisG Wrote:I have not registered yet but I think I might enroll in the MGMT 311 class next week.

Thanks for the information. It has been very helpful.

Good luck with the class. You will do fine; I'm sure. I got a 98.4%.

I will register for the MGMT 485 Business Policy equivalent class early next week. I went ahead and found the textbook for $19.00 on amazon.com so I ordered it ahead of time and it is in the mail. When I register, I will be able to hit the ground running. I'll keep updating this thread about my experience.

Would you keep us posted too?Smile
I will post my experience to this thread as well.
Does Thomas Edison accept the business policy equivalent, too?
I don't understand -- how can this be legitimate when there isn't a proctored exam?
CDM Wrote:Does Thomas Edison accept the business policy equivalent, too?
I don't understand -- how can this be legitimate when there isn't a proctored exam?
Because CSU is accredited. That's all that matters. How they deliver their education is up to them. The honor system used to exist in eduation more so than it does now. You must have missed the FEMA credits thread, if you think this is fishy.
Previous Credits:
Traditional 57
CLEP English w/essay 6
Heriot-Watt MBA 7 Modules + 1 Tenative Compensatory Pass

IC Study Credits:
Info. Systems & Comp Apps. CLEP 68
Principles of Marketing CLEP 79
Principles of Management CLEP 73
Working On B.S. Marketing from Excelsior & finishing MBA from Heriot-Watt
Total Credits to Date: 86
^^^

Okay -- that makes sense. Thanks. Smile
auminer49r Wrote:Good luck amner.

I haven't taken the Business Policy course yet, but I'll take it in a couple weeks. I was kinda hoping someone else might lead the way and mark their trail with good advice -- Pay it Forward, one might say.

Ya know... I have pretty much made a personal mission to find the most efficient and effective route to a degree. I have done so much research on forums and websites, I am baffled with folks who still choose to rack up $40,000 in student loans while they work full-time day jobs, taking years and years. As if they get bonus points for being a martyr.:confused:

You and I and so many others on this forum have found the way to get from Point A to Point B without including the rest of the alphabet. And we're learning as much, if not more.

Anyway, keep us posted.Smile
What is the title for the Busineess Policy class?
MGMT 485: Management Strategy and Policy?

Thanks,
Patricia

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,676 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,965 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BSBA Gen Management TESU or Accounting Help LoanGunman 2 1,503 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Last Post: LoanGunman
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,149 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,824 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,161 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,828 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,914 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Test Out Business Degree plan Bk2Skool 13 4,683 07-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,284 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun