Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Production/Operations Management and Business Policy advice for Excelsior
I don't know -- if someone wants a more structured approach to the course--the MGMT 485 seems the way to go. I still might go for the course -- ESPECIALLY since the TECEP's test and scoring goes like this:
30 multiple choice - 1 point each
5 short answers - 5 points each
3 essays - 15 points each

You need a 60 to pass.... and essays scare me!!
PCCLEP Wrote:I'm following you experiences with op management & Business Policy. I'm talking the op man now...after reading about your experience. I was hopeing that the Policy class would be the same basic setup. That does not seem like the case...

I would also like to hear about the exam option. Maybe there are some other colleges that offer a better Business Policy class.

thanks for all the input.

Hi, PCCLEP
From reading Kiwi's posting, I think that you will be pleased with the MGMT 311 class since she explained that the P/OM TECEP test was very difficult. I got an A in the MGMT 311 class at CSU-Pueblo. That helps my GPA. I'm very happy with that decision. However, as far as the Business Policy grade is concerned; if I wasn't going to get an A in the class, I would rather take a Pass/Fail exam to protect my GPA.

I may consider taking MGMT 362 - Purchasing and Materials Management as an upper level business elective. It has the same professor as MGMT 311 Operations and Quality Management. I had a good experience with that professor.

I'm leaning toward the TECEP Business Policy Exam at this point.Rolleyes
CDM Wrote:You need a 60 to pass.... and essays scare me!!

Yeah...I'm not a big fan of essays either. Personally, I'd probably do the class. Big Grin
Big Grin Matymus Primehilarious
Waterloo, NY
Excelsior College
B.S. General Business, Class of 2008

Fall 2011 - currently pursuing Pre-Pharmacy
CDM Wrote:I don't know -- if someone wants a more structured approach to the course--the MGMT 485 seems the way to go. I still might go for the course -- ESPECIALLY since the TECEP's test and scoring goes like this:

Hi CDM,
I guess it all depends on the learning method that suits you best. I would like to know what the Pass/Fail percentage is on this TECEP. Kiwi says that it was "doable" and it took maybe 30-40 hours of studying. I'm still going to research the forums until I feel more confident one way or the other.

If you take MGMT 485, I would really like to hear feedback from you about it. I think we all would.

I think that this thread will benefit more people than those who have posted. Thanks for helping build it with your valuable input.Smile
CDM Wrote:I don't know -- if someone wants a more structured approach to the course--the MGMT 485 seems the way to go. I still might go for the course -- ESPECIALLY since the TECEP's test and scoring goes like this:

CDM

First of all, I totally understand everyone's feelings about essays, because I feel the SAME way! However, don't let the exam description scare you, because even though the exam description states there are THREE case study questions, they actually only ask ONE, and even still, you would not need to write a huge long essay to answer it. Secondly, since there was only one real "long answer" question, it meant that there were really seven "short answer" questions. And yes, everyone gets the SAME exam...one of the few benefits of the TECEP's!

One of the reasons I personally feel that this test is "doable" is because the subject matter is a lot easier to learn than everything you have to learn for the TECEP Ops Mgmt exam. These two exams are "night and day" different!!

Go with what you're comfortable with--whether it's an exam or a class--but don't be put off by the "essays" because it's not as bad as it sounds.

I hope that helps.

JoAnne Smile
BS - General Business - June 2007
Excelsior College
That's great input, Joanne!! That'll help me when I'm further down this road.
Big Grin Matymus Primehilarious
Waterloo, NY
Excelsior College
B.S. General Business, Class of 2008

Fall 2011 - currently pursuing Pre-Pharmacy
Kiwi and others,
I understand that it takes about one month to complete the registration process for a TECEP test. Is that correct?
So, would you suggest I go ahead and register for the Business Policy test right away to get the ball rolling?
Certainly, I should have enough time to sufficiently study the material between the time I register and the time I schedule the test, right? I wouldn't want to take the chance of forcing myself into a test without sufficient time to learn the material.

What are your opinions?:confused:
[SIZE="4"]auminer49r[/SIZE]

Completed a B.S. in General Business
at Excelsior College (3.86 GPA)

Left to take:

NOTHING!!!

... But, I'm still sticking around...Smile
auminer49r Wrote:Kiwi and others,
I understand that it takes about one month to complete the registration process for a TECEP test. Is that correct?
So, would you suggest I go ahead and register for the Business Policy test right away to get the ball rolling?
Certainly, I should have enough time to sufficiently study the material between the time I register and the time I schedule the test, right? I wouldn't want to take the chance of forcing myself into a test without sufficient time to learn the material.

What are your opinions?:confused:

Auminer,

Yes, you should definitely submit the registration form to take the exam. You download the form from the TESC website, print it out and fax it or mail it to TESC. You have to list on the form what date you want to take the exam, and that date has to be at least one month away. And then you MUST take the exam within 2 weeks of the date you listed, or the exam proctor is required to return the exam to TESC, and you have to pay $20 to re-register. So basically that gives you 6 weeks (max) to study for the exam, which is PLENTY of time.

Obviously, the requirements for taking a TECEP are completely different from taking a CLEP or DSST exam, but fortunately you'll only have to go through this once (right?). I actually went through it 3 times, so I've got it down now! Rolleyes

Here is the link to the exam description: http://www.tesc.edu/catalog/tecep_desc/BUS-421.pdf

Here is the link to the registration form: Thomas Edison State College - Current Students - TECEPÂ Examinations

I hope that helped! If not, feel free to post more questions.

JoAnne Smile
BS - General Business - June 2007
Excelsior College
Kiwi Lover Wrote:Auminer,

Yes, you should definitely submit the registration form to take the exam. You download the form from the TESC website, print it out and fax it or mail it to TESC. You have to list on the form what date you want to take the exam, and that date has to be at least one month away. And then you MUST take the exam within 2 weeks of the date you listed, or the exam proctor is required to return the exam to TESC, and you have to pay $20 to re-register. So basically that gives you 6 weeks (max) to study for the exam, which is PLENTY of time.

Obviously, the requirements for taking a TECEP are completely different from taking a CLEP or DSST exam, but fortunately you'll only have to go through this once (right?). I actually went through it 3 times, so I've got it down now! Rolleyes

Here is the link to the exam description: http://www.tesc.edu/catalog/tecep_desc/BUS-421.pdf

Here is the link to the registration form: Thomas Edison State College - Current Students - TECEPÂ Examinations

I hope that helped! If not, feel free to post more questions.

JoAnne Smile

Thanks JoAnne.
TECEP tests are a pain in the butt to arrange. But, Oh well.
I appreciate your help and advice. I'm registering today.
[SIZE="4"]auminer49r[/SIZE]

Completed a B.S. in General Business
at Excelsior College (3.86 GPA)

Left to take:

NOTHING!!!

... But, I'm still sticking around...Smile
This is weird. My unofficial eval. says I am missing Productions/Op management, but makes no mention of Business Policy. I am curious if they gave me credit or it is an error.
Previous Credits:
Traditional 57
CLEP English w/essay 6
Heriot-Watt MBA 7 Modules + 1 Tenative Compensatory Pass

IC Study Credits:
Info. Systems & Comp Apps. CLEP 68
Principles of Marketing CLEP 79
Principles of Management CLEP 73
Working On B.S. Marketing from Excelsior & finishing MBA from Heriot-Watt
Total Credits to Date: 86

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,622 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,939 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BSBA Gen Management TESU or Accounting Help LoanGunman 2 1,485 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Last Post: LoanGunman
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,114 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,801 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,135 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,800 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,858 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Test Out Business Degree plan Bk2Skool 13 4,618 07-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,265 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun