Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Production/Operations Management and Business Policy advice for Excelsior
Hello all of you fellow CLEPers and Dante exam takers,

I'm reposting this to let you all know that I have finished Production/Operations Management in 1 month with an A+.

If you're going for a business degree at Excelsior College, you will need credits in Production/Operations Management and Business Policy. CLEP and DSST do not offer these exams. TECEP exams seem to be the popular alternative, however, they are reputed to be difficult, expensive, and slow to provide your scores. Rumor has it they cost $450 each, and it takes a good 6 weeks or longer to receive your results. Let me tell you about a cheaper, and possibly quicker alternative that will get you your 3 credits quicker than TECEP.

CSU-Pueblo (Colo St. Univ) offers independent study courses for both of the Excelsior College courses I mentioned. You pay tuition of $297 per course then the Professor emails you a syllabus (which is really a workbook of 20 Application Exercise assignments). You get 6 months to turn in the required assignments and to take 4 exams. The professor will email you an exam before you need it. He will email it to you to take at home. NO PROXY EXAMS!!! You can bust out the assignments and exams as quickly as possible and the professor usually grades them within 24 hours... actually I had most of them graded within a few hours when I submitted them in the morning.

I just finished Production/Operations Management in 1 month. I started on April 9 and finished on May 10.

Plus, the Prof is available for questions by email.
PLUS... They do NOT verify that you have met the prerequisite courses. Even though you would do yourself an injustice to skip over the prerequisite courses, in my opinion. You need them anyway.

You can take the course for $297 in... let's say.. 1 month and get a final grade right away. That sure beats spending $400 for a scary TECEP test that you don't know how well to study for and a long, drug out, lag time waiting for the test to be graded. Besides... what if you fail it?? What a waste of time AND money.
See both course descriptions on this page...

http://coned.colostate-pueblo.edu/In...entStudy/Mgmt/

I've done my research and I think you'd be doing something if you found a better value for Production/Operations Management and/or Business Policy at LSU (independent study) or anywhere else. LSU has a restriction on assignments per week. CSU-Pueblo does not.

The text book was $65 online with a CD that has software you need for the assignments. The CD is a MUST HAVE!!

Hope this info helps you as much as me.
Great feedback and advice, I'm sure this is going to help. Lee
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
Does Excelsior consider any of the courses Upper Level? Do you need to "apply" to CSU and get accepted to take these courses? TIA.

Your link was broken. Try this:
Colorado State University-Pueblo > Division of Continuing Education > Independent Study > Management
Congratulations great Job, and thanks again for the advise
I've taken you advice. I've regester for the course last week and just started the class. I'll post my experience when I finish the course.

What is/was your experience with Business Policy class?

thanks
Greggy_D Wrote:Does Excelsior consider any of the courses Upper Level? Do you need to "apply" to CSU and get accepted to take these courses? TIA.

Your link was broken. Try this:
Colorado State University-Pueblo > Division of Continuing Education > Independent Study > Management

Hi, Greggy.

Excelsior will consider all of these classes as upper-level business since they are MGMT 300 and 400 series. There is no acceptance policy. I just paid $297 for the P/OM course; I told them that I had met the prerequisites; they gave me a syllabus; and away I went. I just had to wait for my book to arrive from the internet. If you get the book "used", make sure the CD is with it. You will need to install Excel OM, and POM for Windows, unless you are a math whiz.

You don't need transcripts. You don't need to pay an application fee, registration fee, enrollment fee, non-matriculated student fee or anything like that. It really is $297 with no strings attached.

I will be starting Business Policy in a week or two. I have a CLEP to get out of the way.

Keep me posted, I'll be happy to tell you about my experience.

Shoot for one AE each workday and two days per exam, you'll be done in a month or less.
PCCLEP Wrote:I've taken you advice. I've regester for the course last week and just started the class. I'll post my experience when I finish the course.

What is/was your experience with Business Policy class?

thanks

Hi PCCLEP, Since you just signed up for the class, make sure you get a book with a CD. I guess the professor is out of town until Wednesday the 16th; (two more days). Then, he will be sending you links to his lecture notes, powerpoint slides, syllabus, etc.

Better yet, Here!! MGMT 311 Corr

Now you have a head start, if you want it. I could email you the syllabus, but I probably shouldn't in case the professor changes things.

I will sign up for the Business Policy course in a couple of weeks. It will have another professor that I don't know anything about.:confused:

Keep me posted and good luck.Smile
Thanks for the repy. I have a copy of the syllabus that received Friday.

Thanks for the notes.
Thats awesome news. Thanks for sharing. I've decided to take that course to fulfill the Ops Mgmt requirment after reading your experience.
Do let us know how the Business Policy course works out. Thats another showstopper course in my opinion...lol
anmer Wrote:Thats awesome news. Thanks for sharing. I've decided to take that course to fulfill the Ops Mgmt requirment after reading your experience.
Do let us know how the Business Policy course works out. Thats another showstopper course in my opinion...lol

Good luck amner.

I haven't taken the Business Policy course yet, but I'll take it in a couple weeks. I was kinda hoping someone else might lead the way and mark their trail with good advice -- Pay it Forward, one might say.

Ya know... I have pretty much made a personal mission to find the most efficient and effective route to a degree. I have done so much research on forums and websites, I am baffled with folks who still choose to rack up $40,000 in student loans while they work full-time day jobs, taking years and years. As if they get bonus points for being a martyr.:confused:

You and I and so many others on this forum have found the way to get from Point A to Point B without including the rest of the alphabet. And we're learning as much, if not more.

Anyway, keep us posted.Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,618 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,935 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BSBA Gen Management TESU or Accounting Help LoanGunman 2 1,484 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Last Post: LoanGunman
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,114 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,801 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,131 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,793 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,852 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Test Out Business Degree plan Bk2Skool 13 4,608 07-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,264 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun