Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Professor Departs Stanford U., Hoping to Teach 500,000 Students at Online Start-Up
Interesting article in The Chronicle of Higher Education.

Professor Departs Stanford U., Hoping to Teach 500,000 Students at Online Start-Up - Wired Campus - The Chronicle of Higher Education
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
I love it!!! Thank you for posting this article. Kind of reminds me of Sal Khan.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
I love it. Teachers one day will be a thing of the past. They will be replaced by mentors like I have at NCU.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
ryoder Wrote:I love it. Teachers one day will be a thing of the past. They will be replaced by mentors like I have at NCU.

There are some teachers that are so great that they shouldn't be replaced - those are the ones that we need to capture on video and allow their lessons to go viral and spread all over the world to any learner that needs help.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
I agree. Maybe 1 in 50 teachers is great. The rest are so so. Some of those 1 in 50 may only be great for a few years before burning out. If we can condense their brilliance into videos and training materials for the world to enjoy, we could educate millions and bring them out of poverty.
I posted the Stanford video on my facebook page. I love alternative education and education powered by technology.

One cool thing about the Star Wars world is the holocron. The holocron is a device used by the ancient Jedi to distill knowledge from once powerful Jedi masters. Students can use the holocron to learn how to build a light saber or how to channel the force. This type of technology is not too far off. Cisco is investing millions in holographic telepresence technology to bring sales people closer to their customers and to reduce costs for diplomatic conversations. If we combine holographic technology with artificial intelligence and massive data stores, maybe we can create a virtual teacher experience. Imagine having an Albert Einstein or a Socrates in a box for every child to learn from.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Interesting related bit. Stanford ran a free online class in database design Oct - Dec 2011, with graded assignments, a midterm, and a final. The stats are amazing.

Quote:A note for anyone who's joined us recently--

This course was offered in a structured fashion from October-December 2011. Over 90,000 accounts were created, 25,000 students submitted at least some work for grading, and 6,500 students did well enough to receive a statement of accomplishment at the end of the course. All of the materials that were used for the 2011 course offering are still available on this website. So feel free to browse around and take any or all of the course in its current "self-serve" mode.

We're continuing to improve the course content, so don't be surprised if you see some changes week to week. We're adding some new videos and exercise sets for additional topics, revising some existing ones, and upgrading to the new framework that all of Stanford's free courses will be using this year.

If you prefer a more structured course with clear deadlines and many other students to help you out via our student-networking forum, then you may want to wait until the next official offering, likely in the latter part of 2012.

I'm enjoying the relational algebra videos right now. Periodically the video will stop and a quiz will pop up. And the questions aren't easy. Finding the one relational algebra statement that is different from the rest is kind of pain. Smile
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Down Perpetual Students burbuja0512 36 4,215 Yesterday, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  I Will Teach You How to See Jesus in 30 Seconds LevelUP 1 160 03-17-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: P226mem
  For Sale: Young Online University in California bjcheung77 19 2,423 09-26-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Employment Opportunities in Online Schools BSBRose21 4 504 09-26-2023, 06:19 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
Music Trump Get Impeached Twice, Kanye West and Taylor Swift. We Didn't Start the Fire. LevelUP 1 490 07-17-2023, 08:14 AM
Last Post: P226mem
  The middlemen of online higher ed article cardiacclep 0 418 12-31-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Homeschooled Students? Stacie 8 1,058 08-25-2022, 03:25 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  Student signs up for class, finds out 2 months in that his professor died 2 years ago studyingfortests 5 727 07-27-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Modern Languages Launches Online Language Courses LevelUP 0 450 07-23-2022, 11:09 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Teacher Has Personalized Handshakes With His Students danivalero 1 521 07-02-2022, 10:15 AM
Last Post: millaterns2