Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Props to Excelsior
I just received an email from Excelsior.

Quote:Thank you for your interest in Excelsior College. We have reviewed your Undergraduate Application for Admission. Two hours after the date stamp on this email, you can view the results of our review online at the following link:

http://www.excelsior.edu/pls/portal/url/page/Excelsior_College/My_Excelsior_College/Unofficial_Evaluation_of_Undergrad_App

(You will be prompted to login at the Web site to view your unofficial evaluation. If you haven't already created your free Web site user account, you will need to create one so you can login.)

Please note that this review is a tool to help you decide whether Excelsior College is the right educational option for you based on the number of your credits that may transfer toward a degree. The results of our review are unofficial. Official evaluations are conducted by Academic Advisors upon enrollment.

If you have any questions about our unofficial evaluation of your Undergraduate Application for Admission, please call the Admissions Office at 888-647-2388 (press 2-7 at the automated greeting). We wish you success as you pursue your educational goals.

You have to hand it to them for promptness, I wasn't expecting to hear from them for another 2 weeks.
BMWGuinness Wrote:Whoops! Wrong forum, how do I delete this?

On the bottom right corner of your post is a link to edit. use this link to edit and then click delete.
ImustStudy
----------------------------------------
A.S. Liberal Arts- Excelsior College 2007
B.S. Criminal Justice- Excelsior College 2008
M.B.A.- California Coast University 2012
EdS- Liberty University 2014
EdD- Liberty University 2016

Miscellaneous graduate coursework from University of The Rockies and California InterContinental University (that did me absolutely NO GOOD whatsoever)
The Evaluation is done, and here's what we have.

I applied to Excelsior with 45 community college credits (some duplicates), and IT Certifications. I did NOT submit my FEMA courses.

For BS MIS Requirements, please see page 38
https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_Coll...atalog.pdf

Quote:Unofficial Summary - Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems (BMI)

Listed below are the requirements you still need to complete:

I. General Education Component
You need 31.00 credits in general education to include:
- at least 18.00 credits in arts & sciences
- at least 3.00 credits in social sciences electives
- Macroeconomics
- Microeconomics
- Statistics
- 13.00 credits are allowed in free electives

Information Literacy Requirement
There are several ways to satisfy the Information Literacy requirement. As the universe of information grows and technology continues to transform learning, information literacy (accessing academic information electronically, selecting credible resources, etc.) becomes increasingly important. You may demonstrate competency in this area by successfully completing the Excelsior College course "Information Literacy" (INL 102) or an approved course from the regionally accredited college of your choice. You must earn a minimum of one semester hour in Information Literacy with a grade of C or higher in order to complete the requirement. Please visit www.excelsior.edu and click on the Excelsior College courses link for information pertaining to INL 102.

II. Business Component
You need:
at least 28.00 more credits in business subjects to include:
- Introduction to Accounting I (Financial)
- Introduction to Accounting II (Managerial)
- Business Law
- Managerial Finance or Financial Management
- Introduction to Management
- Introduction to Marketing
- Production/Operations Management
- Business Policy**
- 3.00 credits of advanced business electives
- 13.00 credits in BMI subjects to include:
(of these, 9.00 credits must be at the advanced level)
- A Business Programming Language
- Database Management
- Data Communications or Telecommunications or Networking
- Systems Analysis and Design
- Approved Management Information Systems Electives

**Please note that the Business Policy core requirement must be completed by taking Excelsior College's on-line course, Bus 495: Business Strategy.

Ethics Requirement
You have not yet satisfied the ethics requirement. Credits from your course or examination in ethics will be applied to the humanities (arts and sciences) or business electives, depending on title, number, level and content.

Organizational Behavior Requirement
You have not yet satisfied the organizational behavior requirement. Credit from your course or examination in organizational behavior will be applied to the social sciences (arts and sciences) or business electives, depending on title, number, level, and content.

So it looks like I've fulfilled my Written English Requirements, Humanitites Requirements, Social Science/History (other than Macro/Micro), Natural Science/Mathematics.

I was surprised to see that I have fulfilled 17 out of 45 credits required for the Business Component, as I really have not taken any business courses.

Looks like I need 31 credits from General, 28 Credits from Business, and 1 credit from IL, meaning I have fulfilled half of my requirements with my previously attained college credit and IT certifications (even thought most of my arts I took in community college were all duplicates ((music)))

I wonder how many credits I would need if I switched to Liberal Studies and added the FEMA courses.
BMWGuinness Wrote:(of these, 9.00 credits must be at the advanced level)
- A Business Programming Language
- Database Management
- Data Communications or Telecommunications or Networking
- Systems Analysis and Design
- Approved Management Information Systems Electives

I think I remember you stating that you had the Network+ cert. If so, it should satisfy the requirement for Data Communications or Telecommunications or Networking as it satisfied mine with EC.
Here is the breakdown for Excelsior and CompTIA
https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_Coll...ION_CREDIT

This shows Network+, Security+ and E-Biz+ as counting for upper level credit.

I'll have to give them a call and see if they can give me more detailied info, thanks for the heads up!
Well it looks like my questions cannot be answered.

According to Excelsior:

I have 9 upper level credits through IT Certification with Excelsior.

Quote:70-217
Implementing & Administering an MS Windows 2000 Directory Services Infrastructure
2 UL Credits

70-219
Designing an MS Windows 2000 Directory Services Infrastructure
3 UL Credits

Network+
2 UL Credits

Security+
2 UL Credits

I cannot find out which certifications count toward the MIS major unless I speak with an advisor.

I cannot speak with an advisor unless I'm enrolled.
BMWGuinness Wrote:...I cannot speak with an advisor unless I'm enrolled.

Same problem I'm having with trying to finish my degree at TESC. I'm not enrolled, but when I do call everyone is really nice (I'm actually still waiting for the terrible customer service everyone warned me about lol Big Grin ) but can't help me other than in generals (i.e. "Yes the Children's Lit class should count for the major but I can't confirm that so you would need to enroll and speak to an advisor"). To pin down an answer and get an advisor to tell me "yes", I have to be enrolled.
I'm done!
B.A. English, TESC, completed December 2008

Tests passed: A/I Lit-73, Mgmt-71, Amer Lit-73, Tech Writing-64, Criminal Justice-56, Here's to Your Health-65, Law Enforcement-60
PatsGirl1 Wrote:Same problem I'm having with trying to finish my degree at TESC. I'm not enrolled, but when I do call everyone is really nice (I'm actually still waiting for the terrible customer service everyone warned me about lol Big Grin ) but can't help me other than in generals (i.e. "Yes the Children's Lit class should count for the major but I can't confirm that so you would need to enroll and speak to an advisor"). To pin down an answer and get an advisor to tell me "yes", I have to be enrolled.

This is a real shame, the only downside I can see to either college.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,801 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,135 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,858 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,265 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 945 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,243 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,750 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,202 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,341 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah
  Quick Question about Excelsior hsfamfun 5 1,815 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Last Post: radconjohn