Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Psychology
Hey everyone,

2 quick questions regarding the Uexcel Social Psychology exam:

1. I know that the exam has an A, B, or C scoring for passing the exam. When transferring this course into TESU, do they accept this course as a pass/fail for credit option like all other test out courses, or do they assign GPA/Grade depending on what score was received on the exam?

2. As for study materials, I wanted to get everyone's ideas for this exam. I am planning on using SDC Uexcel preparation course, Instantcert flashcards, and various quizlets, etc. I was possibly considering renting the recommended textbook, but I don't know how willing I am to plunk down that kind of cash if it is not necessary. I simply wanted to see what others who took this exam used to study/pass with a relatively high grade. 

As always, you guys are da bomb!
It will reflect as CR on your TESU official transcript
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(10-03-2018, 04:00 PM)jsd Wrote: It will reflect as CR on your TESU official transcript

Awesome! Thanks!
I took Study.com's Social Psychology class, then reviewed their UExcel prep coursework for the UExcel exam. The prep coursework appears to be identical to the SDC Social Psychology class.

I'm registered for the UExcel Social Psychology class. I took the pre-exam tonight, and...only about 15% of the questions on the UExcel pre-test were closely related enough to the SDC prep material to be useful.

As a result, I ordered the e-textbook tonight for the class - 500 pages worth. Sad I love Study.com, but I was disappointed in the disconnect between their prep material for the class as it related to the practice exam.
Bachelor of Arts: Psychology - TESU (pending conferral)
120/120 units complete

SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
Anticipated Completion Date: 3/31/2019

Master of Human Resource Management - CSU Global
Start Date: 7/1/2019
(10-22-2018, 11:55 PM)Nodaclu Wrote: I took Study.com's Social Psychology class, then reviewed their UExcel prep coursework for the UExcel exam. The prep coursework appears to be identical to the SDC Social Psychology class.

I'm registered for the UExcel Social Psychology class. I took the pre-exam tonight, and...only about 15% of the questions on the UExcel pre-test were closely related enough to the SDC prep material to be useful.

As a result, I ordered the e-textbook tonight for the class - 500 pages worth. Sad  I love Study.com, but I was disappointed in the disconnect between their prep material for the class as it related to the practice exam.

FWIW, the SDC "prep" courses share the same lessons that they use for the rest of their curriculum; that material isn't designed to match any specific exam other than their own. Well, that is to say, it is intended to cover the same subject areas as indicated in a UExcel or TECEP exam overview but it does not teach the same material, so there will always be differences. Many exams are based off a specific text and the questions and answers will only come from that text. The Study.com material will give you a grounding in the subject but you will likely need the same text if you want to be sure you are reviewing the material that will be on the exam.

IMO, the only exam prep courses that really work for using Study.com as a sole source of prep material are probably courses like math where the subject matter isn't really subject to interpretation. Even then, there are some math courses that SDC doesn't cover in enough depth, so you'll need to supplement them with Khan Academy and other external sources.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Nodaclu
(10-22-2018, 11:55 PM)Nodaclu Wrote: I took Study.com's Social Psychology class, then reviewed their UExcel prep coursework for the UExcel exam. The prep coursework appears to be identical to the SDC Social Psychology class.

As a result, I ordered the e-textbook tonight for the class - 500 pages worth. Sad  I love Study.com, but I was disappointed in the disconnect between their prep material for the class as it related to the practice exam.

Fortunately, I found the recommended textbook online for cheap. I am going to test on this Uexcel today, so I will let you know how it goes. But what I can recommend is to Uexcel official content guide for Social Psychology and to follow that guide exactly for the book. The book provides everything that you need to study for the exam. Good luck!
[-] The following 1 user Likes d.cononge's post:
  • Nodaclu
(10-03-2018, 03:32 PM)d.cononge Wrote: 1. I know that the exam has an A, B, or C scoring for passing the exam. When transferring this course into TESU, do they accept this course as a pass/fail for credit option like all other test out courses, or do they assign GPA/Grade depending on what score was received on the exam?

I think that the exams have a passing score, and then Excelsior gives them a grade internally.  So other schools will most likely give you a P/F or CR/NC scoring - and for sure TESU will.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
To clarify what I said originally, and to agree with dfrecore's point above -- you will STILL have an "official" grade on your Excelsior transcript somewhere, so that grade will potentially follow you when places ask for ALL of your transcripts. But TESU takes all transferred courses, from ACE/NCCRS or traditionally sources, as CR on the TESU transcript
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
The Uexcel automatically comes with a grade. I don't know what I scored; I was only given a letter grade.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 13 2,361 03-07-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Ypsiterroir
  Psychology Careers - 9 Options bjcheung77 1 597 04-15-2022, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  RA psychology degree help amomwholearns 4 816 03-20-2022, 10:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Planning to join in psychology field haohalberd 2 1,715 02-05-2021, 12:05 PM
Last Post: StoicJ
  Where Can I Test Out of a Psychology Degree? LadySearchDog 22 4,338 06-04-2019, 10:35 AM
Last Post: jsd
  need advise with online BA in psychology medo 5 1,207 05-27-2019, 02:43 PM
Last Post: davewill
  BS in Psychology - Cheap and Fast (and dirty) turborelaxation 87 11,178 05-18-2019, 05:47 PM
Last Post: LadySearchDog
  Intro to Psychology CLEP - Peterson's practice tests S.Tesla 0 1,327 04-08-2019, 03:38 PM
Last Post: S.Tesla
  Is CLEP Psychology completely multiple choice? S.Tesla 2 1,068 03-29-2019, 08:54 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Psychology and Sociology Credits Question retro 9 1,673 02-06-2019, 07:22 AM
Last Post: retro