Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purdue Global - A little bit of misleading advertising
Receiving this email which contained the following quote from Purdue Global:

Quote:Nationnally Ranked and Respected
Purdue Global is part of the respected Purdue University system. One of the most prestigious research universities in the world, Purdue University is ranked in the top 10 best public universities in the U.S. by The Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education.

From what I read Purdue went out of his way to make Purdue Global its own entity, (can't even attend Purdue University commencement) to a point I wonder if academically it is even connected at all. 

This makes me think a lot about earlier Harvard Extensions School debates. Say what you will about HES, but it is way more open about its professors, program, courses, and connexion with Harvard.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
[-] The following 2 users Like posabsolute's post:
  • harrypotter, quigongene
Purdue is a part of the Purdue University System. People often get confused and think that schools within a system are one. There's a difference between having a satellite campus and having a system of independent colleges governed by a board. All of the University of California and University of Texas schools are independent. They are accredited separately and are ranked separately. UT schools charge different tuition rates. I earned my master's at Angelo State University, which is a part of the Texas Tech System, but I couldn't go to a Texas Tech graduation.

Purdue Global talking about the ranking is misleading. Purdue Global is unranked. It's just a rebadged Kaplan University.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Just to play devil's advocate... The statement is technically correct, and most people will only care that Purdue's name is on their diploma...essentially hoping to pull off the same sort of thing (equating Purdue Global with Purdue University) on their own resume.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
It may be technically correct, but this plays nicely with the other thread about the US academic complexity system, Purdue global students/targets may be less aware of all the distinctions. Oh yeah, it's part of Purdue! But in fact it has zero connection to the University and then you get an email that basically says come join the Ivy family..
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
----
----
If the well-educated people in this community debate the nuances of difference, you can bet if flies over the head of the average citizen. I guess it only matters if you are trying to keep people out of the Purdue system or keep the name off of someone's resume. Like HES, if someone earns their degree at Harvard University, you can bet it will be on their resume. Again, it only matters if you're trying to filter people OUT.
(04-08-2019, 12:16 PM)cookderosa Wrote: If the well-educated people in this community debate the nuances of difference, you can bet if flies over the head of the average citizen.  I guess it only matters if you are trying to keep people out of the Purdue system or keep the name off of someone's resume.  Like HES, if someone earns their degree at Harvard University, you can bet it will be on their resume.  Again, it only matters if you're trying to filter people OUT.
Unlike HES, Purdue Global is a completely separate college.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Different technics, same goal? HES degree is from Harvard University, but your master will be in extension studies.

Purdue Global is a Purdue Global degree in what you studied

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
----
----
(04-08-2019, 06:14 PM)posabsolute Wrote: Different technics, same goal? HES degree is from Harvard University, but your master will be in extension studies.

Purdue Global is a Purdue Global degree in what you studied

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
Harvard segregates HES students with that stupid degree name so that people won't confuse HES students with other students who went through a more rigorous admissions process. But, HES is still a part of Harvard University, and there is some sharing of professors. HES falls under Harvard's accreditation. Purdue Global is a different school, entirely. Nothing is shared between Purdue Global and the other Purdue campuses.

When people refer to Purdue, they are referring to the highly-ranked flagship. The Purdue system has other universities that don't carry the same level of prestige.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
The "Global" packaging is a turn off. Colorado State has a Global school too. The global moniker to me just cheapens it. If they are really Colorado State or Purdue why not integrate these programs into their online branch of the main campus or at minimum the affiliated branches like CSU-Pueblo? The reason is clearly marketing confusion and a money grab in my opinion. I looked briefly at CSU Global but got turned off just like the Purdue Global poster did. It feels like the Global university took the flagship name and cheapen it making the students feel like the weird cousin no one understands or particularly likes but really really really wants to like. Sometimes the global name is just the naming of online degrees available from the flagship U such as Kansas State Global is really the online arm of the true flagship in Manhattan, K.....thus the real school. I think Penn State World campus also functions like this but not sure. However, CSU Global and Purdue Global might as well be named anything as there really is not relationship to the flagship schools or even small branch schools. Good marketing scheme though. 

The real CSU - Fort Collins online branch: https://www.online.colostate.edu/

The unrelated weird CSU Global cousin: https://csuglobal.edu/

From CSU Global site:
"CSU-Global was the first independent, fully-accredited, 100% online state university in the country. But that’s not the only thing that sets us apart; we are also part of the renowned Colorado State University System, which includes the flagship Colorado State University in Fort Collins and the Colorado State University-Pueblo campuses. Each of the three campuses are operationally separate with distinct missions, but are governed under the same CSU System Board of Governors.

This means that as a student of CSU-Global, you will benefit from the resources, research, and partnerships of the larger, state-coordinated entity. Together, all three schools in the Colorado State University System serve 37,000 new and returning scholars annually, with graduates numbering 7,000 per year, and more than 200,000 alumni around the world."
At least CSU Global makes it clear that these are separate entities.

There's about to be another global school. University of Maryland University College is changing its name.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 29,943 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Purdue Global Owes $128 Million. It May Not Be Able To Pay. smartdegree 12 1,534 12-20-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  GCU fined for misleading cost estimates clep3705 2 373 11-03-2023, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  TECEP Advertising updates or recent feedback? seanmathews 5 739 10-09-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Why Those Super Low College Admissions Rates Can Be Misleading LevelUP 0 728 04-25-2023, 05:54 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Global Convention on Higher Education Alpha 0 376 03-07-2023, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Top 10 US Universities That Produce the Most Staff for Global Tech Firms LevelUP 11 1,366 09-26-2022, 01:50 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  UMass Global plan expansion! bjcheung77 1 752 07-16-2022, 12:36 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Brandman now UMass Global - Effective Sept 1, 2021 bjcheung77 18 3,058 07-08-2022, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  U of Arizona Global, GI Bill Benefits restored... bjcheung77 0 452 05-05-2022, 06:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77