Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purdue Global - A little bit of misleading advertising
(04-10-2019, 09:51 PM)sanantone Wrote: At least CSU Global makes it clear that these are separate entities.

There's about to be another global school. University of Maryland University College is changing its name.

Good. I've always hated that "University College" bit at the end. That name is one of the reasons I didn't even consider applying to UMUC despite having a number of coworkers who attended there. And yes, I know "University College" is not uncommon in the UK. I still don't like how it sounds here.

It looks like its aiming to change to "University of Maryland, Global Campus." That sounds much better to me.

Their name is a bit misleading though, like the others, since UMUC isn't actually part of the University of Maryland in College Park.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
From one awful name to one slightly less awful name
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • Life_One, sanantone
(04-10-2019, 09:57 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 09:51 PM)sanantone Wrote: At least CSU Global makes it clear that these are separate entities.

There's about to be another global school. University of Maryland University College is changing its name.

Good. I've always hated that "University College" bit at the end. That name is one of the reasons I didn't even consider applying to UMUC despite having a number of coworkers who attended there. And yes, I know "University College" is not uncommon in the UK. I still don't like how it sounds here.

It looks like its aiming to change to "University of Maryland, Global Campus." That sounds much better to me.

Their name is a bit misleading though, like the others, since UMUC isn't actually part of the University of Maryland in College Park.
College Park isn't the only University of Maryland brick and mortar school, though. There's University of Maryland - Baltimore, University of Maryland - Baltimore County, University of Maryland - Eastern Shore, and a couple of others.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(04-11-2019, 01:11 AM)sanantone Wrote:

College Park isn't the only University of Maryland brick and mortar school, though. There's University of Maryland - Baltimore, University of Maryland - Baltimore County, University of Maryland - Eastern Shore, and a couple of others.

True, but I lived and worked in the Washington DC metro area for nearly 20 years, so when I think of the University of Maryland I usually think of College Park as the main campus since most folks I know who attended UoM went there. Local bias.

The point is that UMUC isn't part of the University of Maryland system as far as I know.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(04-11-2019, 01:43 AM)Merlin Wrote:

True, but I lived and worked in the Washington DC metro area for nearly 20 years, so when I think of the University of Maryland I usually think of College Park as the main campus since most folks I know who attended UoM went there. Local bias.

The point is that UMUC isn't part of the University of Maryland system as far as I know.
They're all a part of the University System of Maryland. 

https://www.usmd.edu/institutions/
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(04-11-2019, 11:33 AM)sanantone Wrote:

That appears to list all the Maryland universities. I don't think that means that all of the Maryland universities are the same entity on the back end. I'm saying that UMUC isn't part of the University of Maryland. I don't think that list suggests otherwise. I think we may be off in the weeds here topic wise too.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(04-11-2019, 01:35 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(04-11-2019, 11:33 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 09:57 PM)Merlin Wrote: Good. I've always hated that "University College" bit at the end. That name is one of the reasons I didn't even consider applying to UMUC despite having a number of coworkers who attended there. And yes, I know "University College" is not uncommon in the UK. I still don't like how it sounds here.

That appears to list all the Maryland universities. I don't think that means that all of the Maryland universities are the same entity on the back end. I'm saying that UMUC isn't part of the University of Maryland. I don't think that list suggests otherwise. I think we may be off in the weeds here topic wise too.

It's a system of public universities; that is their connection. Some states only have one or two public university systems while others have several public university systems. Texas, for example, has several public university systems. 

A good system to look at is Texas A&M. Many schools in the Texas A&M system have "Texas A&M" in their titles, but not all of them do. Tarleton State University is a member of the Texas A&M system. 

University of Maryland is not one school; there are several University of Marylands that are independent entities. University of Maryland, Baltimore is a separate school from University of Maryland, College Park. So, UMUC is not being misleading by including "University of Maryland" in its name. Just like the other University of Marylands, it is its own school within the University System of Maryland.

(04-10-2019, 09:14 PM)cardiacclep Wrote: The "Global" packaging is a turn off. Colorado State has a Global school too. The global moniker to me just cheapens it. If they are really Colorado State or Purdue why not integrate these programs into their online branch of the main campus or at minimum the affiliated branches like CSU-Pueblo? The reason is clearly marketing confusion and a money grab in my opinion. I looked briefly at CSU Global but got turned off just like the Purdue Global poster did. It feels like the Global university took the flagship name and cheapen it making the students feel like the weird cousin no one understands or particularly likes but really really really wants to like. Sometimes the global name is just the naming of online degrees available from the flagship U such as Kansas State Global is really the online arm of the true flagship in Manhattan, K.....thus the real school. I think Penn State World campus also functions like this but not sure. However, CSU Global and Purdue Global might as well be named anything as there really is not relationship to the flagship schools or even small branch schools. Good marketing scheme though. 

The real CSU - Fort Collins online branch: https://www.online.colostate.edu/

The unrelated weird CSU Global cousin: https://csuglobal.edu/

From CSU Global site:
"CSU-Global was the first independent, fully-accredited, 100% online state university in the country. But that’s not the only thing that sets us apart; we are also part of the renowned Colorado State University System, which includes the flagship Colorado State University in Fort Collins and the Colorado State University-Pueblo campuses. Each of the three campuses are operationally separate with distinct missions, but are governed under the same CSU System Board of Governors.

This means that as a student of CSU-Global, you will benefit from the resources, research, and partnerships of the larger, state-coordinated entity. Together, all three schools in the Colorado State University System serve 37,000 new and returning scholars annually, with graduates numbering 7,000 per year, and more than 200,000 alumni around the world."

I don't like the "Global" name, but having multiple universities with the same name is normal across the country. CSU Global did not take the flagship name; it took the name of the Colorado State University system because it is a member of the CSU system. CSU Global was intentionally not designed to be the online division of Fort Collins or Pueblo; they have their own online programs. CSU Global is a more flexible school that is targeting adult learners. Colorado State University, Pueblo is separate from Fort Collins, so why isn't it accused of trying to steal the name of the flagship? Systems of universities are governed by one board; that is how they are connected. 

Sort of related is the time former Governor Chris Christie wanted to merge TESC with Rutgers. The concern was that TESC would lose its flexibility once it became an online division for Rutgers, so it was decided to keep TESC as an independent institution. 

Penn State World Campus has courses that are offered by the various Penn State universities. You can earn a degree from Penn State World Campus without taking any courses from the flagship.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(04-11-2019, 01:43 AM)Merlin Wrote: True, but I lived and worked in the Washington DC metro area for nearly 20 years, so when I think of the University of Maryland I usually think of College Park as the main campus since most folks I know who attended UoM went there. Local bias.

Off topic: Are you still local? I live in Rockville!
TESU - BS in Homeland Security & Emergency Management (BS.HSEM) (In Progress) 
Started from scratch - 01/2019 - Completion - ??

Credits: 69/120
SDC: ENG-104, HIS-108, COM-102, COM-120, POLS-101, POLS-102, POLS-103, SOC-101, PSY-101, PSY-104, COMP-102, BUS-107, BUS-109 - 39cr
Sophia: Managing Conflict, Effective Teams, Student Success - 3cr
TEEX: Cyber 101, Cyber 201, Cyber 301, Basic Property Technician, Foundations of Fingerprint Comparison, Death Investigation - 19cr
Institutes: Ethics - 2cr
CSMLearn: The CSM Course - 3cr
ALEKS: College Algebra - 3cr
(04-13-2019, 01:09 PM)Mil0 Wrote:
(04-11-2019, 01:43 AM)Merlin Wrote: True, but I lived and worked in the Washington DC metro area for nearly 20 years, so when I think of the University of Maryland I usually think of College Park as the main campus since most folks I know who attended UoM went there. Local bias.

Off topic: Are you still local? I live in Rockville!

Not anymore. I moved back to the west coast 7-8 years ago and I'm currently living just outside San Francisco, CA. When I was there, I lived in NoVA––Fairfax initially but we eventually moved to Clifton which is where we lived until moving back to CA.

I still have a ton of friends in the area, but I'm glad to be back on the west coast with the nicer weather, even if we don't really have seasons out here. I have a 3-year-old daughter now who has never seen the snow, and probably won't unless we visit Tahoe or something. But then again, I don't miss having to clear my driveway and dig my car out of several feet of snow to get to work either.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 28,711 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Purdue Global Owes $128 Million. It May Not Be Able To Pay. smartdegree 12 1,427 12-20-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  GCU fined for misleading cost estimates clep3705 2 353 11-03-2023, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  TECEP Advertising updates or recent feedback? seanmathews 5 715 10-09-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Why Those Super Low College Admissions Rates Can Be Misleading LevelUP 0 675 04-25-2023, 05:54 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Global Convention on Higher Education Alpha 0 363 03-07-2023, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Top 10 US Universities That Produce the Most Staff for Global Tech Firms LevelUP 11 1,331 09-26-2022, 01:50 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  UMass Global plan expansion! bjcheung77 1 742 07-16-2022, 12:36 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Brandman now UMass Global - Effective Sept 1, 2021 bjcheung77 18 3,026 07-08-2022, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  U of Arizona Global, GI Bill Benefits restored... bjcheung77 0 444 05-05-2022, 06:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77