Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purdue Global BS IT Software Development projects
I am not good at studying for big tests, and much prefer project-based assignments.  I was comparing WGU's usage of industry certs to what appears to be Purdue Globals ExcelTrack's usage of school assignments. I was looking at the Purdue Global Exceltrack in IT Software Development. Does anyone know what the class work and tests are like for this degree?  

Could I really work at my own pace on assignments, rather than prepare for big cert tests?  Also, are the Purdue Global BS IT degrees transferrable to other colleges, like your typical regionally accredited school (could I get a Masters from another school, using their BS as a base)? Thanks for any insights!
[-] The following 1 user Likes pluggingalong's post:
  • akr680
There are no test in the ExcelTrack. Each course is listed on the website as 5 or 6 credits. In the ExcelTrack they are broken down into 1 credit classes with at least 1 paper/project. ULs usually have multiple assignments for each credit. Yes, you work at your own pace because this is a CBE program.

Bachelor's degrees don't transfer. Yes, with a bachelor's degree from PUG you can apply to grad school. Every grad school has their own minimum requirements for acceptance. Some programs have additional requirements.
[-] The following 4 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • akr680, origamishuttle, Pikachu, pluggingalong
(08-24-2022, 12:38 PM)ss20ts Wrote: There are no test in the ExcelTrack. Each course is listed on the website as 5 or 6 credits. In the ExcelTrack they are broken down into 1 credit classes with at least 1 paper/project. ULs usually have multiple assignments for each credit. Yes, you work at your own pace because this is a CBE program.

Bachelor's degrees don't transfer. Yes, with a bachelor's degree from PUG you can apply to grad school. Every grad school has their own minimum requirements for acceptance. Some programs have additional requirements.

Do you know if the "papers" are formal writing assignments following the APA or MLA standards, or more of an informal essay?
All APA. With instructions and rubrics.
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • akr680, Pikachu, pluggingalong
What about math courses like algebra , stats or discrete math, is it also paper writing or more like math problems assignment?
I would transfer algebra and stats in from Sophia. I wouldn't pay PUG tuition for them. Discrete Math was written assignments. No tests.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • LevelUP
(08-24-2022, 04:15 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I would transfer algebra and stats in from Sophia. I wouldn't pay PUG tuition for them. Discrete Math was written assignments. No tests.

Yeah, unless its an exceltrack, don't pay tuition for algebra and stats, Sophia is preferable. For discrete math, PUG is better for student who don't like test/exam as SDC discrete math require proctored test.
That's great news because I was never the greatest at studying and excelling at big tests. I was more of a project-based person.
purduestudent Wrote:That's great news because I was never the greatest at studying and excelling at big tests. I was more of a project-based person.

PUG BSIT maybe an option for you. You should also review your previous thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...evelopment
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-24-2022, 12:32 PM)pluggingalong Wrote: I was comparing WGU's usage of industry certs to what appears to be Purdue Globals ExcelTrack's usage of school assignments.

Did you look at the Software Engineering degree at WGU? There are only three certifications, two of which are relatively easy, and the third can be transferred from Sophia:

Software Engineering Bachelor's Degree Program Online | WGU
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 49 7,492 04-04-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Information Technology major with a concentration on game development purduestudent 13 1,063 02-28-2024, 11:40 AM
  For purdue global whats discrete mathematics like? purduestudent 2 242 02-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 754 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  What are UMass Global MyPath classes like? pluggingalong 14 3,494 12-01-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  umass global b20 9 1,809 10-05-2023, 11:01 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Perdue Global BSIT SD/Web pluggingalong 1 389 09-07-2023, 03:47 PM
  Changing career to software development? Jwheels27 23 1,900 07-20-2023, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Jwheels27
  Purdue University Global - BA IT Bunch of Changes LevelUP 15 1,406 07-16-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Purdue Global Masters in IT -- certification credit walruspanda 3 986 04-18-2023, 12:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77