Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purdue Global BSIT Degree or TESU BACS
Unfortunately, TESU advisors are often less than helpful. The ePacks are definitely available to any student who wants to take one: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/e-pack-courses
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Holmes, Pikachu
(01-18-2021, 11:05 AM)natshar Wrote: You might want to switch out one of the TESU courses for an UL comp sci course. Either that or take the Network TECEP for the remaining Upper Lever credit in the comp sci degree.

Well, I picked these courses as the CS electives:

[Sophia] Introduction to Information Technology
[SDC] CS302: Systems Analysis & Design (UL)
[SDC] CS303: Database Management (UL)
[SDC] BUS303: Management Information Systems (UL)
[TECEP] Network Technology (CMP-354-TE) (UL, RA)
[TESU] Computer Concepts and Applications (CIS-107-EP) (RA)

So, if the first and the last are the same, I might choose "Foundations of Information Technology (CMP-202)" instead of CIS-107. Or another programming language if possible, like python or R.
(01-18-2021, 05:30 AM)Holmes Wrote: That Flat fee is a game changer! Thank you for bringing that up. I was not considering that option at all because I thought it is hard to do 16 credits in one term. After your comment and a new round of search, I think it's totally doable and reasonable. It will still be more expensive, according to my calculations and the set of courses and exams that I am/will be taking, but it will cost around $6,900 to $7,000 USD, which is great.

Keep in mind that if you find taking 16 credits at once to be too much of a challenge, you can extend a term once you've done at least 50% of the coursework. You might even simply want to plan on extending the capstone, just to take some of the pressure off.

https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/course-extension
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • Holmes, Pikachu
(01-18-2021, 06:42 PM)davewill Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 05:30 AM)Holmes Wrote: That Flat fee is a game changer! Thank you for bringing that up. I was not considering that option at all because I thought it is hard to do 16 credits in one term. After your comment and a new round of search, I think it's totally doable and reasonable. It will still be more expensive, according to my calculations and the set of courses and exams that I am/will be taking, but it will cost around $6,900 to $7,000 USD, which is great.

Keep in mind that if you find taking 16 credits at once to be too much of a challenge, you can extend a term once you've done at least 50% of the coursework. You might even simply want to plan on extending the capstone, just to take some of the pressure off.

https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/course-extension

That's not a bad plan.  Really, you could extend all of your courses, but you're better off extending just 1 or 2 if you need to, and finish one course a month late, and the capstone 2 months late to kind of stagger things.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Holmes, rachel83az
Is it possible for sure that students can take e-pack courses if they will pay a flat rate? This too would be a game changer for me.
tbh there's not much difference between a BSIT and BACS if you're using it to find employment. Most of the time your portfolio and hands on skills will get you the job. but if you're intending to do a MS in CS in the future, than u might wanna go for a BACS that fulfills the MS entry requirements.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nyvrem's post:
  • Holmes
(01-19-2021, 04:26 AM)nyvrem Wrote: tbh there's not much difference between a BSIT and BACS if you're using it to find employment. Most of the time your portfolio and hands on skills will get you the job. ...

That will be so for many employers, but some sectors like defense, telecoms or medical devices will get sticky about the difference.

(01-18-2021, 09:20 PM)dfrecore Wrote: That's not a bad plan.  Really, you could extend all of your courses, but you're better off extending just 1 or 2 if you need to, and finish one course a month late, and the capstone 2 months late to kind of stagger things.

The most important thing is to not lose your cool if you start falling behind. Just make sure you notify the instructor in advance any time you need to miss a due date. If you just miss it, they're bound by school policy to dock your score, but with advance notice, they can allow you to turn it in late with no penalty.

I had to extend my capstone, and it was pretty painless.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Holmes
(01-18-2021, 11:05 AM)natshar Wrote: You might want to switch out one of the TESU courses for an UL comp sci course. Either that or take the Network TECEP for the remaining Upper Lever credit in the comp sci degree.

You could do this for your 16 credits for TESU BA CS:
English Composition I (ENC-101)
English Composition II (ENC-102)
Software Engineering (CIS-351)
Critical Information Literacy (SOS-110)
Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice (ENG-298)
Liberal Arts Capstone (LIB-495)

Because the TECEP Networking takes 20-40hrs of study time & costs $225, taking Software Engineering might be a good option.  But you could take the TECEP Networking and try and find a super-easy course to replace it.

The English Comps take usually the most time with ACE credit providers, and you will be doing the same types of writing with the SOS-110 & Capstone so as long as you are comfortable researching and writing 1000 words in around 3-5 hours, this shouldn't be too hard.

You can get the course books ahead of time and start studying before the course begins, that will save some time and make things easier.  Once the course begins, working ahead helps to take away the stress of the deadlines.  Be prepared for 20-30hrs per week of school work.

I wouldn't recommend doing 16 credits in one term for someone fresh out of high school, someone that's not comfortable doing writing assignments, or someone that's working a full-time job.  You need to maintain a C average grade to graduate from TESU and have a C or better for each course in your AOS.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Holmes
(01-19-2021, 09:09 AM)LevelUP Wrote:

You could do this for your 16 credits for TESU BA CS:
English Composition I (ENC-101)
English Composition II (ENC-102)
Software Engineering (CIS-351)
Critical Information Literacy (SOS-110)
Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice (ENG-298)
Liberal Arts Capstone (LIB-495)

Because the TECEP Networking takes 20-40hrs of study time & costs $225, taking Software Engineering might be a good option.  But you could take the TECEP Networking and try and find a super-easy course to replace it.

The English Comps take usually the most time with ACE credit providers, and you will be doing the same types of writing with the SOS-110 & Capstone so as long as you are comfortable researching and writing 1000 words in around 3-5 hours, this shouldn't be too hard.

You can get the course books ahead of time and start studying before the course begins, that will save some time and make things easier.  Once the course begins, working ahead helps to take away the stress of the deadlines.  Be prepared for 20-30hrs per week of school work.

I wouldn't recommend doing 16 credits in one term for someone fresh out of high school, someone that's not comfortable doing writing assignments, or someone that's working a full-time job.  You need to maintain a C average grade to graduate from TESU and have a C or better for each course in your AOS.

I decided NOT to take the Network Technology (neither the TECEP nor the course), and I already put Software Engineering (CIS-351) on my list of UL, RA and residency courses.

But English compositions in general are a nightmare for me. =) I hate all sorts of writing. If I had to choose between the Network TECEP (and memorizing the whole 500-page textbook) and English composition; I would choose the Network.

I will wrestle with the composition I and II in Sophia, with no weekly deadlines it will be doable.

For the whole degree, the most difficult courses for me are the English Composition I and II, and the public speaking! I don't see why they are even required for a software engineer or developer. =) Really hate them.

My (still changing) 16-credit list is:
  • SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy
  • LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone
  • An Introduction to Islam (REL-275-OL): (Should be easy for me, as I studied and translated many books in this area)
  • Introduction to Biology (BIO-101-EP): (ePack course, not-very-easy, but I believe I can do it within the first weeks)
  • Principles of Statistics (STA-201-EP): (ePack course, should be easy, as I had many advanced math and statistics courses before. I believe I can take the exam immediately)
  • Software Engineering (CIS-351-OL): (as a software developer for more than 10 years, I believe I will be familiar with this course)
(01-19-2021, 09:55 AM)Holmes Wrote:
But English compositions in general are a nightmare for me. =) I hate all sorts of writing. If I had to choose between the Network TECEP (and memorizing the whole 500-page textbook) and English composition; I would choose the Network.

I will wrestle with the composition I and II in Sophia, with no weekly deadlines it will be doable.

If you're a competent writer and typist, you could take the Comp I & II TECEP exams.  So much faster and easier than taking a course for sure.  I passed Comp 2 with zero study - just sat down and did the exam on the fly.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 146 7 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 127 Yesterday, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 72 Yesterday, 12:53 PM
  BS IT - TESU or Purdue ChickenEnjoyer 1 65 Yesterday, 11:36 AM
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,712 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 195 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,550 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 118 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 212 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 623 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32