Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purdue Global BSIT internship instead of capstone?
Question 
I'm trying to work out the fastest and easiest way to complete the Purdue Global ExcelTrack BSc in IT, and one thing caught my attention. According to the degree plan, it's possible to complete an internship instead of a capstone project. Has anyone on this forum went this way?

I already work full time as a developer, and I'd be curious if I could use that as an "internship".
Interesting: IT489: Bachelor's-Level Information Technology Internship

This course gives you practical job experience in the information technology field. The internship provides you with an opportunity to learn about the IT career field through practical, real-world experiences and mentoring from an IT professional. This experience will enrich your technology skills and provide a better understanding of the level of expertise needed to be successful in your career. Internships must be preapproved by the Dean prior to the start of the term. Students who fail this course on the first attempt may not reenroll in this course without the Dean's approval.

Quarter Credit Hours: 6 | Prerequisite: Last term or permission from the Dean

Apparently, it's for a few of their programs, including the BS Cybersecurity and also the MSIT (both exceltrack)
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Yes, you can do it. Please check with your advisor.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
I wish it was available for the Cloud degree! Bummer...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
You would make your degree plan using these sources:
https://www.purdueglobal.edu/alternative...ion-exams/

https://www.purdueglobal.edu/alternative...sessments/

The W3Schools PHP Certificate completes 4 courses in your program requirement + all 3 courses in your Software Development concentration. 

Do CLEP for English Comp, then Sophia to fill up all you can, then Study.com, then Saylor for only project management.

That should max out the 75% you can transfer and leave you with only 8 courses to do. 

You said you want fast?  I'm not sure if playing games with Purdue about the Internship is going to be a fast way to go. You're welcome to try.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(10-19-2021, 06:09 AM)LevelUP Wrote: You said you want fast?  I'm not sure if playing games with Purdue about the Internship is going to be a fast way to go. You're welcome to try.

I've assembled a degree plan already, inspired by the Ridiculously Easy Associates Degree - Purdue University Global thread, so that's not a problem. I already took the classes at Sophia (including the composition classes), and moving onto the rest. 

I'm not trying to play games with the university, I was genuinely interested if anyone has went this way, and managed to have their day job count as the internship.
(10-19-2021, 06:17 AM)speedrunner Wrote:
(10-19-2021, 06:09 AM)LevelUP Wrote: You said you want fast?  I'm not sure if playing games with Purdue about the Internship is going to be a fast way to go. You're welcome to try.

I've assembled a degree plan already, inspired by the Ridiculously Easy Associates Degree - Purdue University Global thread, so that's not a problem. I already took the classes at Sophia (including the composition classes), and moving onto the rest. 

I'm not trying to play games with the university, I was genuinely interested if anyone has went this way, and managed to have their day job count as the internship.

What I mean by playing games is doing a bunch of back and forths with Purdue all in an effort to save what?  For all, you know it only takes 2 weeks to do the Capstone.

Back and forth such as on the phone talking to this person and that person, let me transfer to this person.  Now, wait till your term starts so we can talk to this person.  Now send me info about your job, nope not quite my tempo, send me more information, nope not quite my tempo.  Great now I see all you have left is the Capstone, now we can finally accept your internship but it looks like your need to do yet another term to meet the minimum 3-month requirement for your internship.  (3 months later) Oops, something went wrong, we can't accept the internship.  Now do the capstone, hurry your term is ending soon.

Hehe, just dramatization but I know how these schools love to play games.  I doubt it's going to be a straightforward process. GL
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(10-19-2021, 06:35 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Hehe, just dramatization but I know how these schools love to play games.  I doubt it's going to be a straightforward process. GL

When you put it this, I agree, it's probably not worth the effort it would take to figure all of this out, and get it approved. I'll just stick to the capstone, thank you!
(10-19-2021, 07:55 AM)speedrunner Wrote:
(10-19-2021, 06:35 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Hehe, just dramatization but I know how these schools love to play games.  I doubt it's going to be a straightforward process. GL

When you put it this, I agree, it's probably not worth the effort it would take to figure all of this out, and get it approved. I'll just stick to the capstone, thank you!

My daughter is at Purdue Global and is not experiencing any of this.  They haven't played any games, have been easy to work with, have given her the exact courses she's asked for, accepted more credit than we thought they would, etc.

If I'm in this program, I'm going to talk to them starting at the beginning of the process to see what the internship entails, and do it if possible.  There is NO downside to talk to them, and find out if it will work out for you.  Obviously you should get it in writing from the dean if possible.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
(10-19-2021, 09:44 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-19-2021, 07:55 AM)speedrunner Wrote:

My daughter is at Purdue Global and is not experiencing any of this.  They haven't played any games, have been easy to work with, have given her the exact courses she's asked for, accepted more credit than we thought they would, etc.

If I'm in this program, I'm going to talk to them starting at the beginning of the process to see what the internship entails, and do it if possible.  There is NO downside to talk to them, and find out if it will work out for you.  Obviously you should get it in writing from the dean if possible.

There is a risk which is the time you spend to figure this all out considering your time is worth something.

Don't you still have to take 25% or 8 courses with Purdue?  Meaning if you transfer in Internship in place of the Capstone, this would just add 1 course you have to take with Purdue?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS cvieira 24 933 03-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cvieira
  For purdue global whats discrete mathematics like? purduestudent 2 201 02-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 653 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 47 6,934 01-10-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: bornsupercharged
  What are UMass Global MyPath classes like? pluggingalong 14 3,297 12-01-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  umass global b20 9 1,694 10-05-2023, 11:01 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Completion of PUG IT Excel Track in One Term - Capstone Duration Inquiry AdamLunar 11 1,043 09-27-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Perdue Global BSIT SD/Web pluggingalong 1 371 09-07-2023, 03:47 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Purdue Global BS IT Software Development projects pluggingalong 13 1,314 09-07-2023, 06:36 AM
Last Post: pluggingalong
  Purdue University Global - BA IT Bunch of Changes LevelUP 15 1,348 07-16-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore