Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purdue Global
Has anyone completed a master's degree with Purdue Global? I'm considering doing a MBA at WGU or Purdue Global. Purdue is a more prestigious university. Maybe that's because I live with an engineer? Both schools have a competency based MBA which you can complete at your own pace. I like that. I am not working so I know I'll be able to get through it in less than a year. I have seen what WGU courses are like and what's involved. I was wondering if anyone had any insight to Purdue Global? Would be nice to say I have a degree from Purdue.
(07-18-2020, 08:29 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Has anyone completed a master's degree with Purdue Global? I'm considering doing a MBA at WGU or Purdue Global. Purdue is a more prestigious university. Maybe that's because I live with an engineer? Both schools have a competency based MBA which you can complete at your own pace. I like that. I am not working so I know I'll be able to get through it in less than a year. I have seen what WGU courses are like and what's involved. I was wondering if anyone had any insight to Purdue Global? Would be nice to say I have a degree from Purdue.
So while Purdue did purchase Kaplan University and rebrand it to Purdue Global, it is important to mention that an MBA from Purdue Global is NOT the same as receiving the degree from the Krannert School of Management at Purdue University. You would have to be careful not to misrepresent the credential.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
[-] The following 2 users Like ThatBankDude's post:
  • dewisant, suzycupcake
(07-18-2020, 09:30 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 08:29 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Has anyone completed a master's degree with Purdue Global? I'm considering doing a MBA at WGU or Purdue Global. Purdue is a more prestigious university. Maybe that's because I live with an engineer? Both schools have a competency based MBA which you can complete at your own pace. I like that. I am not working so I know I'll be able to get through it in less than a year. I have seen what WGU courses are like and what's involved. I was wondering if anyone had any insight to Purdue Global? Would be nice to say I have a degree from Purdue.
So while Purdue did purchase Kaplan University and rebrand it to Purdue Global, it is important to mention that an MBA from Purdue Global is NOT the same as receiving the degree from the Krannert School of Management at Purdue University. You would have to be careful not to misrepresent the credential.

That is good to know! This is info I need. Kind of pointless if it's not a true Purdue degree.
(07-18-2020, 09:48 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 09:30 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote:

That is good to know! This is info I need. Kind of pointless if it's not a true Purdue degree.
Their business programs are ACBSP accredited whereas Krannert is AACSB accredited. It is essentially a completely different university but owned by Purdue University.

If you want a Purdue degree, the Krannert School of Management does offer an Online MBA, Online Master of Science in Business Analytics (I was admitted to this degree program but chose Duke University instead), and a Master of Science in Economics.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThatBankDude's post:
  • ss20ts
(07-18-2020, 09:56 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: If you want a Purdue degree, the Krannert School of Management does offer an Online MBA, Online Master of Science in Business Analytics (I was admitted to this degree program but chose Duke University instead), and a Master of Science in Economics.

The rub here is that the Purdue (Krannert) MBA is expensive ($56,000 tuition), competitive entry, with fixed start dates (fall, spring, summer) and a 2-year program length. They don't offer self-paced competency-based options for their courses so there is no way to save money by completing it faster.

Of course, if you have the time and money (and you have the chops and/or connections to get in), it can't hurt to earn an MBA from an AACSB business school with strong name recognition and a great alumni network. This is particularly valuable for people without much professional experience outside of college. The name recognition and network boosts are highly valuable in that case.

That said, most of the people who frequent this board are generally unable (or unwilling) to spend the kind of money to get into a school like that. Assuming they can get in to begin with. The Purdue Global MBA may not be as prestigious, but it is attainable by most people. Likewise with the WGU MBA. Plus, if you've already got a decent resume and professional network built over the years, the benefits of a school's name recognition diminish quickly outside of the academic community or certain employers who recruit specifically from ivy and elite colleges.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Johndmabryjr
According to the U.S Department of Education College Scorecard salary comparisons I saw last year, WGU degree holders top Purdue University Global degree holders by a pretty good amount.
(07-20-2020, 12:15 AM)eLearner Wrote: According to the U.S Department of Education College Scorecard salary comparisons I saw last year, WGU degree holders top Purdue University Global degree holders by a pretty good amount.

Salaries aren't the full picture. There's corporate culture, paid time off, longevity of the company, how viable the company is, what type of work are we discussing? 

The MBA wouldn't be my only master's degree. It would be one of two. Mostly because to get into management everyone and their mother seems to have a MBA. Much of it will be redundant for me as I already have an associates degree in business administration and soon will have a bachelor's degree in organizational leadership which is a business degree. I have taken most the courses required for the MBA at the undergrad level. My second master's will be in digital marketing. That's the industry I'm looking to break into.
(07-20-2020, 01:01 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-20-2020, 12:15 AM)eLearner Wrote: According to the U.S Department of Education College Scorecard salary comparisons I saw last year, WGU degree holders top Purdue University Global degree holders by a pretty good amount.

Salaries aren't the full picture. There's corporate culture, paid time off, longevity of the company, how viable the company is, what type of work are we discussing?

Given that WGU is primarily known for their technology degrees, I would imagine that we're probably talking about people employed in IT or software engineering. Both of which are generally higher than average paying jobs. That could account for the wage discrepancy. This assumes, of course, that the majority of people graduating from WGU are earning technology degrees. They also have a teacher's college, a healthcare college, and a business college, and we know teachers don't make that much. Smile I can't say much for how the people in healthcare or business fare.

(07-20-2020, 01:01 AM)ss20ts Wrote: The MBA wouldn't be my only master's degree. It would be one of two. Mostly because to get into management everyone and their mother seems to have a MBA. Much of it will be redundant for me as I already have an associates degree in business administration and soon will have a bachelor's degree in organizational leadership which is a business degree. I have taken most the courses required for the MBA at the undergrad level. My second master's will be in digital marketing. That's the industry I'm looking to break into.

Yeah, since they are so common, an MBA seems to be becoming the minimum bar for anyone who wants to move into senior or executive management in the corporate world these days. It is often a differentiator for anyone who wants to work in mid-level management as well. It is definitely a handy credential to hold if you're interested in working in the corporate world. I'd also argue that its good for anyone who is self-employed, or otherwise needs to have a solid business foundation, to have that knowledge.

As for your undergrad degrees helping with the MBA, those courses definitely will help. Most MBA programs expect that people coming in will already possess a basic understanding of things like accounting, finance, economics, statistics, etc. so having completed those courses in undergrad will definitely make things easier. I came into my MBA experience having just completed my BSBA so I definitely felt like that helped me move through those courses more quickly. The big difference between the two is that the undergrad versions introduce you to the processes and formulas, while the grad versions are more about application of knowledge. How to leverage the basics to be strategic in how you solve real-world problems.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • ss20ts
Calculate the total cost of the degree from Purdue Global. Not sure if this is the case at the graduate level, but the per credit tuition rate may look competitive until you realize the program is 45 credits instead of the standard 30 credits. This is why I never considered them for a bachelors.
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976
(07-20-2020, 04:19 AM)ajs1976a Wrote: Calculate the total cost of the degree from Purdue Global.  Not sure if this is the case at the graduate level, but the per credit tuition rate may look competitive until you realize the program is 45 credits instead of the standard 30 credits.  This is why I never considered them for a bachelors.

With the Excel MBA it's a flat fee per term just like WGU.

(07-20-2020, 11:07 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-20-2020, 04:19 AM)ajs1976a Wrote: Calculate the total cost of the degree from Purdue Global.  Not sure if this is the case at the graduate level, but the per credit tuition rate may look competitive until you realize the program is 45 credits instead of the standard 30 credits.  This is why I never considered them for a bachelors.

With the Excel MBA it's a flat fee per term just like WGU.

They're also on the quarter system so they're quarter credits and not semester credits. It's not a true 3 credit course. Transferring quarter credit courses is tricky and a pain.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 491 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New CBE Accelerated MBA from UMass Global Jonathan Whatley 2 1,443 03-24-2023, 01:19 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  THE CATS OUT OF THE BAG - UMASS GLOBAL ( RANT) jb0433 11 2,654 06-09-2022, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  ASU Global Leadership & Personal Development thodeptrai 15 2,661 05-21-2022, 01:04 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  UMASS Global MAOL jb0433 19 2,826 05-04-2022, 05:04 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Upgrad/SSBM Geneva - Global DBA - 36 months, $11K USD bjcheung77 10 3,037 04-03-2022, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Harry101
  Brandman/UMASS Global MSOL TheAlternativeBachelor 2 1,065 12-03-2021, 02:35 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Purdue Global Micro-credentials Alpha 0 710 06-28-2021, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Grassroots Workshops: $120+/Credit Hour: Brandman/UMass Global? eriehiker 4 1,211 04-09-2021, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Thorne
  Macquarie Global MBA bigrivergroup 4 1,835 03-24-2021, 04:47 PM
Last Post: innen_oda