Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QUICK question--Thinking about purchasing......this study guide
CLEP : The College Level Examination Program (Kaplan CLEP)
[ only have a partial IBSN # of 0743262581. Edition 2005 ]

Is this a great study guide to supplement with IC?

Does anyone know what subjects does this go over?

Is it even worth purchasing? A duplicate of Collegeboards??
~ X ~
X #911 Wrote:CLEP : The College Level Examination Program (Kaplan CLEP)

I haven't read the Kaplan book. It only covers the five General Exams (English Composition, College Mathematics, Humanities, Social Sciences and History, and Natural Sciences).

Maybe someone else here can tell us whether it is any good or not.

If money is an issue, you can view a similar book online. It is put out by Petersons and also covers just the five General Exams listed above. However, you can access it free. That's always nice!
hilarious

Here's the link:

http://www.petersons.com/airforce/books.asp
(look down the page until you see "Petersons CLEP Success". It's the fifth book from the top)

There are actually several free online books available on this page, including the excellent "Official DSST Study Guide". This book covers several of the DANTES exams and, in my opinion, is fantastic.

Hope this helps,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
X #911 Wrote:CLEP : The College Level Examination Program (Kaplan CLEP)

I'm not familiar with the Kaplan Study Guide. However, looking at the description on Amazon, this guide covers the 5 general exams. These are English Comp, Mathematics, Humanities, Natural Sciences, and Social Science and History. According to the description, this guide contains two full-length practice tests on each subject. The College Board's study guide only contains a single, shorter practice test for each of the 35 CLEP subjects.

For the 3 general exams that I took, I used REA's CLEP General Exams The Best Test Prep for the CLEP General Exams (their title not mine. Smile ). I also used the COMEX books for Humanities and the History and Social Science exams. The REA book includes a CD that has 2 computer based exams for each subject and the book has an additional exam along with the 2 on the CD. There is an explanations section for the exams that explains each answer and in some cases provides additional information.

The first test that I took, I had not found InstantCert yet. So I used nothing but the REA book and the COMEX book. I studied by taking the REA exams over and over until I knew the answers to all of the questions without looking at the multiple choices. In other words, I used them like "fill in the blank" instead of multiple choice. I also made sure that I knew the explanations thoroughly. After all of that, I then took the test in the College Board's study guide. If I answered correctly more than 75% of the questions in the College Board sample test, then I knew I was ready.

My recommendation is that you get a study guide that provides explanations and at least a couple of sample tests. Study it for a week or two and then take the sample test in the College Board book. Also study here at IC to fill in additional information. If you do well on that (60% or higher), then sit the exam. You'll be glad you did.
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="blue"]
BS in Accounting(General) from Excelsior College
Enrolled in MBA program at Upper Iowa University.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Save your $$$
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
X #911 Wrote:Thanks I thought it was something not worth the $5 that I was going spend on it.
That's almost one gallon of gas. Smile

You may lock / close thread. I appreciate everyone's reply.

X,

We don't usually close/lock threads unless there is a specific reason to do so. This allows other people to add their thoughts to the thread at any time in the future.

Big Grin
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

[/SIZE]
X #911 Wrote:Also Shoto when are you going to get those results of that Math exam?
X

First I have to take it........8/13/06.
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
ShotoJuku Wrote:First I have to take it........8/13/06.

Will you get instant results, or will they pull a DANTES on you?
My name is Rob

[/SIZE]
snazzlefrag Wrote:Will you get instant results, or will they pull a DANTES on you?

[SIZE="4"]Definately a dantes; 2 weeks......CRAP!!![/SIZE]

Sent you a pm too....
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 271 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to Study Deetzin 3 215 03-12-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 700 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  A Guide to Jesuit Colleges LevelUP 0 194 01-25-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,033 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 333 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,088 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,223 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  No study.com any more, and take crash course on coppersmith? qiaoyiren 10 2,281 04-12-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Top 5 Thinking Goals of College LevelUP 1 434 04-10-2023, 09:30 AM
Last Post: cokididwa