Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question?
How does one choose what to do a Masters degree in? What your parents did? What your highest GPA was in? Where the market requires more people with Masters degrees? What feels good? What you didn't spend enough time working on in your Bachelors degree? What your friend thinks you should do? What your counselor or spouse thinks you should do? If you can afford it or not? Just what exactly??
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MA in Humanities from American Public University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
I would choose a masters degree based on the career I'm in. If I'm somewhere where a BA is enough, I wouldn't get a MA. If I was somewhere where a MA was required to move up past a certain point, I'd probably get my MA in something that was valuable in that particular career path. If I was somewhere where a MA was required, I'd get it in what would get me the most bang for my buck.

You don't really have to ask this question once you're at the point in your career where this is an issue. You will KNOW that you need to get it and what it should be in (people will start to recommend one to you frequently - kind of like when the army says "if we wanted you to have a family, we'd have issued you one, and then suddenly you reach a certain rank and your higher-ups start joking "we're getting ready to issue you a wife if you don't get one yourself").
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • dewisant
I'm 57 and nearing retirement again. I have spent 36 years working on aircraft and have no interest in doing anything in that field ever again.
At your age and experience OP, it really dosen't matter what you do it in.

Do your masters in whatever interests you
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • dewisant
Yes, I would recommend looking for a Masters from one of the competency based degree providers. For example, if you wanted to move up in a non profit or similar type of role - something like organizational leadership may be for you, you may want to look at getting a MAOL from Brandman or an MSML from WGU. If you're into business, then an MBA from WGU or other providers ie Capella, Purdue, etc, Walden has a special going on for 50% off right now.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I'm of a similar age to dewisant, though I'm a bit younger. For me, I got my MBA not because I needed it, but because I enjoy learning. Working in tech, I don't really even need a degree at all. I wanted it more for myself.

Once I completed my bachelor's degree journey, it felt like I needed to continue on with something else. I considered pursuing a second bachelor's degree, but I didn't really feel like there would be much value in that. I decided on the MBA mostly because I figured I could complete that quickly via competency-based programs like WGU where I could leverage my existing business leadership experience while building on what I learned in my undergrad business degree.

If it wasn't for the competency-based options, I don't know that I would have continued on to a master's degree at all. Or if I did, I probably wouldn't have even considered an MBA since my ultimate goal is to earn a terminal degree in a technology-related field since that has a better likelihood of offering direct value to my career. The MBA is more of a stopgap before my next degree. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • dewisant
(02-09-2020, 07:18 PM)dewisant Wrote: I'm 57 and nearing retirement again. I have spent 36 years working on aircraft and have no interest in doing anything in that field ever again.

I guess I assumed that you wanted to move up in your career.  I should have said to get one in the career you want, and to find out what is required in that field.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
  • dewisant
> How does one choose what to do a Masters degree in? 

if you have money to spare get a masters in what interests you                         
if you need a masters in a specific subject to increase your employment opportunities then get a masters in that subject       
otherwise don't get a masters -- don't go into debt just to get a masters -- if you're interested in a subject and want advanced knowledge then go to a library and get a book, see if there any decent documentaries around or any "great courses" videos              
https://www.thegreatcourses.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • dewisant
(02-10-2020, 05:11 PM)bluebooger Wrote: > How does one choose what to do a Masters degree in? 

if you need a masters in a specific subject to increase your employment opportunities then get a masters in that subject       
otherwise don't get a masters -- don't go into debt just to get a masters -- if you're interested in a subject and want advanced knowledge then go to a library and get a book, see if there any decent documentaries around or any "great courses" videos              

I completely agree.  You don't need a masters unless you need one.  But there's nothing stopping you from becoming an expert in your field, in whatever you want, just because you enjoy learning about it.

I think some might consider me an "expert" degree planner, and there's no piece of paper that will say that I'm one of those.  But I just keep learning, and applying my knowledge, and I know a lot about this whole thing just because it interests me.  I'm not paying for a degree to call myself that, I just get to if I want to (I don't, really).
  • dewisant
(02-10-2020, 05:11 PM)bluebooger Wrote: > How does one choose what to do a Masters degree in? 

I own and have owned dozens of the Great Courses.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  masters in UX design or human computer interaction - MOOC question Sara143 7 637 01-04-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Sara143
  Question for Amberton University MAPD/Counseling students/grads Amberlinjeanne 3 682 06-21-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Anyone know anything about Arkansas State Online? Also have a question about doctorat Randyb100 7 1,165 03-15-2023, 09:01 PM
Last Post: siersema
  Question about ENEB Big Data Masters OTmina 3 1,121 02-17-2023, 08:05 PM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
Big Grin Where are my Amberton peeps? Have a question suzycupcake 7 1,118 10-30-2022, 08:55 PM
Last Post: suzycupcake
  Walden MBA transcript question Whitepines 9 1,505 07-30-2021, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Whitepines
  Harvard Extension quality of classes question rpmranger 6 1,600 09-07-2020, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Sparklette
  Question on seminar graduate course Imbanewbie 9 1,741 08-28-2020, 08:34 PM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Which is better - multiple degrees question jamshid666 8 2,181 10-17-2019, 06:32 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  HES Poetry - "HarvardKey" Login Question SuZQ2 10 4,799 09-01-2019, 11:28 AM
Last Post: SuZQ2