Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question Regarding Resume
So I'm tweaking my resume around a little bit and I wanted to get some opinions. I went to Community College for an AAS in business admin, then after that I went to a 4 year university that took a majority of my credits and graduated from there with my BSBA. I want to start by saying I loved what community college did for me and i recommend it to everyone due to how affordable it is and how attentive the faculty can be, you truly learn a lot.

However, I was questioning whether or not I should put my AAS from the CC on my resume or just list my BSBA from the 4 yr University that i only spent 2 years at. I feel a large majority of people look down at community college so I considered leaving it off my resume. 

However If I add it, it shows that I was working towards something so if they question a lapse in my past employment or something, I'd have it to explain. What are you thoughts on this? Should I leave it or delete it? Ultimately trying to do all I possibly can to impress HR and score an interview.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation." -Henry David Thoreau

BA- Business Management (6)
ALEKS- Intro To Statistics
AAS Business Administration- Community College
I don't anyone who would look down on a cc especially since you went on to finish at a university. Did you do both degrees back to back? Either way, they will automatically understand that most bachelor's take about 4 or more years to complete so I wouldn't worry about the lapse in employment.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
If you're proud of doing the AAS and think it says something about you, that's more important than trying to guess whatever prejudices any individual HR person is likely to have.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I’m not an HR person but I’ve never heard of anyone looking down on community college (maybe “just” community college if they want a bachelors and you only had an associates?). Community college seems par for the course.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
It's fine to leave it on Smile

I agree with what everyone has said. However, it is ok to leave items off a resume and still talk about them in an interview. If you ever decide to go this route, you could say something like: "You may see my bachelor's degree on my resume, but what you don't see is the community college that was so important to me in my education..... blah blah blah.."

I don't generally ever mention my non-traditional route to finishing my education because it doesn't suit the types of positions I would apply for. However, if someone asks me how I ended up living in Mexico for six years, I pretty much have to mention that I took a slightly different stop on my educational journey - one that enriched me and gave me many of the skills I have today.

So I guess my point is just that you can feel very comfortable doing whatever you want, knowing that it's very normal to add to your resume during an interview. Most people don't list everything.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • Ideas
I worked in HR for years, we never cared if someone went to CC then a 4-yr school, or straight to a 4-yr school to get their bachelor's degree. In over 10 years, it was never mentioned even once. No one cares.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I stand behind all the advice you've already received, plus I want to add something. If you earned an AAS and then a BSBA, I'm guessing you have well over 120 credits - could be wrong, not sure how your university handled your AAS.

But, in my siggy you can see I have an AOS (same as an AAS) and one thing they all have in common is that they tend to exceed 60 credits (average exceeds 80) and they are notoriously short of gen eds. If I'm right about your path, you did a lot more work than someone who "only" went to a 4-year school, and that's a valid reason to leave it on. The nuances of that will escape 90% of the people who read your resume, but that 1 in 10 will pick up on it and probably pay you a compliment like I just did.
TESU is not a community college, but once I earn a master's in microbiology, I plan to take off my AS in Natural Science and Mathematics with a focus in Biology. It would just be taking up space at that point. And, if I finish the MS in Environmental, Health and Safety Management, I might as well remove the AAS in Environmental, Safety, and Security Technology.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I just got accepted into two Executive Education Certificate programs (Harvard Kennedy School and USC).  In both, I needed to justify why I should be there, and a panel selected me.  I added three of my different community college certificates/degrees with no prejudice.  I did NOT put my junk AA or AS general degrees in.   No issues!

I do USC this Summer and Harvard next year!
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 2 users Like Life Long Learning's post:
  • High_Order1, Ideas

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To defend or not to defend, that is the question! bjcheung77 4 608 02-21-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Resume Question ROYISAGIRL 11 1,096 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Resume Rewrite from Indeed Vle045 6 750 06-22-2022, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Another job application question carebear_007 4 648 04-11-2022, 02:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Question: What do you use? For backup, restore, storage? bjcheung77 2 770 09-14-2021, 09:18 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Employment Question Alpha 3 1,049 01-22-2021, 04:45 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Question: DegreeForum Investment bjcheung77 3 1,089 06-06-2020, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Resumé Writer recommendations SDO 5 1,672 05-09-2020, 12:10 PM
Last Post: asianphd
  Question how to study for exam Imbanewbie 3 1,602 02-28-2020, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Question for Techies: Best Things to Learn amilitab4k9 12 2,632 12-11-2019, 12:10 AM
Last Post: amilitab4k9