Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question Regarding Resume
I would agree with Sanantone that if your BA/BS duplicates a lower level degree/cert, then it's not a lot of use to put it on your resume. I got a Certificate in Management, and the BOG AAS degrees along the way to my BSBA. I won't be putting either of those on my resume, because the BSBA trumps them.

But if I had an AA in a completely different field, I might leave it on there, if nothing else for talking points. "Oh, you got an AA in underwater basket weaving? That's interesting." "Yes, I was a little foolish at 19, and thought that might be a good degree to propel me into the world of UBW, but once I started working in accounting, I was hooked. I especially loved having a roof over my head and being able to eat on a regular basis. But I still really enjoy UBW and do it every chance I get!"
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • alexf.1990, quigongene, SDO
People don’t look down on two year college degrees.. especially when it’s community college and most importantly you completed a bachelor degree..

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
BABA, New England College, 2019
no one looks down on a CC degree

but the CC degree duplicates the first two years of your BS degree

so what's the point of including it ?

>If I add it, it shows that I was working towards something

that's exactly what a BS degree shows

if the CC degree was something completely different than your BS (an AAS in Computer Science) then sure, include it, but its the same subject so no
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • harrypotter
Including it could provide an area/topic of commonality with your interviewer (especially if it is local to where you live now).  

Interviewer: "I see you graduated from XYZ CC, that is where I started as well..."
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Guys I really hate to be a downer, but there really are a few types of jobs where the cc and even the COSC/TESU degree will be looked down upon.

I have seen this under a couple of scenarios, and worked in international medical sales for a long time.   There are just some people that have spent so long in top tier universities that they mistake their privilege for something important.  I've even seen this sort of thing in the State U frat boy types who just happen to be in leadership (hiring) positions.    They don't understand why someone wouldn't go straight to the type of college that they did.  

First of all, this is definitely an indicator that you DON'T want that type of job.   So I still completely agree with leaving the CC if you want to.    But note that school bias does exist in certain locations possibly with potential to see it more in certain professions or select environments.  I mean, I'm pretty sure that some of the most elite jobs hire only graduates from certain schools.   I have never heard of anyone working at a Deloitte or a McKenzie type or even  a Google/Facebook job that comes from community college unless the applicant has some freakish talent and ridiculously high IQ.

So... I guess the point of this post isn't to negate any of the other advice.   It's simply to point out that while we all should be VERY proud of our education, there really are places that will still discriminate.    Though I believe with all of the student loan issues now, the CC on a resume could even be a huge positive showing respect for personal finances and savvy in finding a cheaper means to an end.   Time will tell....
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • Ideas
(06-08-2018, 10:48 AM)burbuja0512 Wrote: First of all, this is definitely an indicator that you DON'T want that type of job.   So I still completely agree with leaving the CC if you want to.    But note that school bias does exist in certain locations possibly with potential to see it more in certain professions or select environments.  I mean, I'm pretty sure that some of the most elite jobs hire only graduates from certain schools.   I have never heard of anyone working at a Deloitte or a McKenzie type or even  a Google/Facebook job that comes from community college unless the applicant has some freakish talent and ridiculously high IQ.

Yes, if you are going to very selective places, then they would look down on a CC education.  This is not going to be the norm - maybe 5% or less of the business world is this way.  But even then, a degree at one of the Big 3 or WGU is going to be an issue - these kinds of selective places want people from top schools, so the CC isn't going to be the problem, the BA/BS is.

BTW - my mom worked at Deloitte for years, and she went to CC.  I have a friend who currently works at Facebook, and she went to a CC.  Obviously they graduated from 4-yr schools, but I've never heard it was an issue for them (but I'll ask).  Neither has a freakish talent or ridiculously high IQ (high, but not ridiculous I don't think).  Most of these kinds of places aren't THAT selective, believe me.

My husband started the interview process at Google for a sales engineer position a few years ago, the CC aspect wasn't an issue but the lack of a 4-yr degree was.  So far, it's the ONLY company that has cared that he didn't have a 4-yr degree, in 20 years of working in tech in the Silicon Valley (the companies are usually headquartered there, although we don't live there).  He has never even been ASKED about his degree in this time, other than Google.  Has never even been brought up.  Many times in sales, they don't care a bit about a degree, just that you can come in and make the company a lot of money.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • burbuja0512, Ideas, Zippadeedoodah
It's easy to keep people from breaking through walls. Just give them a little doubt and fear- their imagination will take care of the rest.
I have a good friend who had an associates from a cc and a bachelor's who got a job at Deloitte just fine as well.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I don't think Google or Facebook will care about an applicant starting at a CC if he or she eventually earned a bachelor's from a decent school. Plus, Google is looking for ways to hire more non-traditional candidates.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I guess the point in mentioning certain companies is just to say what Sanantone said - it's about 5% of the business world, but the ones that are picky about education may not choose us anyhow.

But more importantly, people that are going to find issue with your resume will do so for any number of reasons. As a woman in international sales management, I have had FAR more issue with being female than any other potential problem, and there is no way around that during the interview process! But what's unappealing to one company may be what gets you the job elsewhere, so just be you.

Andlike Jen says, no fear - just march forward and make common sense choices on your resume, getting feedback where you can and selectively following what makes sense to YOU. Even the worst case scenario shouldn't stop you from applying to a job.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To defend or not to defend, that is the question! bjcheung77 4 608 02-21-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Resume Question ROYISAGIRL 11 1,096 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Resume Rewrite from Indeed Vle045 6 750 06-22-2022, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Another job application question carebear_007 4 648 04-11-2022, 02:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Question: What do you use? For backup, restore, storage? bjcheung77 2 770 09-14-2021, 09:18 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Employment Question Alpha 3 1,049 01-22-2021, 04:45 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Question: DegreeForum Investment bjcheung77 3 1,089 06-06-2020, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Resumé Writer recommendations SDO 5 1,672 05-09-2020, 12:10 PM
Last Post: asianphd
  Question how to study for exam Imbanewbie 3 1,602 02-28-2020, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Question for Techies: Best Things to Learn amilitab4k9 12 2,632 12-11-2019, 12:10 AM
Last Post: amilitab4k9