Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question Regarding Resume
I think the more relevant issue is what would take the place of the AS on your resume were you to leave it off. I would leave it on if you need to compensate for having very little work history or other certs. Your BSBA already conveys that you've mastered the course material in a ASBA program. You do risk stigmatizing yourself if your resume happens to cross the desk of someone who frowns on community colleges. A better alternative would be to look at Coursera or edX certificates as a way to fill that void.
The associate's doesn't fill any gap. Most people take four to six years to finish a bachelor's degree, and you don't need to put your years of attendance on your resume. I put my year of graduation on my resume, but once I get to my 40s, I'm removing anything that could give away my age.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(06-08-2018, 08:18 PM)sanantone Wrote: The associate's doesn't fill any gap. Most people take four to six years to finish a bachelor's degree, and you don't need to put your years of attendance on your resume. I put my year of graduation on my resume, but once I get to my 40s, I'm removing anything that could give away my age.

The only utility I could see for putting an AS on their resume when they've got a BS in the same field is when the alternative is blank space. It just serves as fluff. As you said, the associates won't explain a work/school gap. It also doesn't add to their qualifications for the job.
(06-08-2018, 08:18 PM)sanantone Wrote: The associate's doesn't fill any gap. Most people take four to six years to finish a bachelor's degree, and you don't need to put your years of attendance on your resume. I put my year of graduation on my resume, but once I get to my 40s, I'm removing anything that could give away my age.

Why wait?   When I was in a position where I managed a larger team and frequently hired entry and mid-level workers , I HATED it when anyone put years on their education.   I didn't want to have any idea about how old my candidate is, even if much of that can be determined within the resume.  

My philosophy has always been that no one needs to know when I graduated.  It's just too easy to discriminate either because you want to get someone slightly older or slightly younger, or even that you find it strange that someone completed their education mid-career.    Unless there is a reason that the year is a relevant part of the story you're trying to tell with your resume, I would suggest leaving off.   No need to add information that won't get you hired.   They want to see the degree, not the year.  

Overall, as a hiring manager, I want to view just the facts, and I think that years are unnecessary at best and distracting at the worst.

P.S.  Hope this didn't come across as grumpy.  LOL I promise I didn't mean it that way! Big Grin  I'm just super picky about resumes, have worked in rough sales departments where any perceived flaw was a reason to dump the resume and look at the other 500 candidates who have applied.  I've even sat in a room with my leadership team with several resumes that were all equally amazing and nit-picked each one to try to eliminate any of the awesome potential hires just to be able to make a selection.

P.P.S. Different topic, but I also suggest removing months from the job listing too. I think most people already do this anyway, but I would HATE to see a resume that says "XYZ Corporation, 3/2014 - 10/2017." It looks better and eliminates gap issues if this same type of job is listed as "XYZ Corporation 2014-2017." Of course some companies still require clarification on exact dates, but at the very least, the first glance of your resume won't draw attention to any shortcomings or gaps.

P.P.P.S. Last edit in a terribly written post! Sorry! Just quickly want to say that you only have one to two pages of resume to tell your story and perhaps a cover letter than is important, but that 90% of employers don't read. That's not a lot of space, so every single piece of information on there should be relevant. If something isn't setting you apart as a top candidate, remove and replace with something else that will.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
(06-09-2018, 09:31 AM)burbuja0512 Wrote:

Why wait?   When I was in a position where I managed a larger team and frequently hired entry and mid-level workers , I HATED it when anyone put years on their education.   I didn't want to have any idea about how old my candidate is, even if much of that can be determined within the resume.  

My philosophy has always been that no one needs to know when I graduated.  It's just too easy to discriminate either because you want to get someone slightly older or slightly younger, or even that you find it strange that someone completed their education mid-career.    Unless there is a reason that the year is a relevant part of the story you're trying to tell with your resume, I would suggest leaving off.   No need to add information that won't get you hired.   They want to see the degree, not the year.  

Overall, as a hiring manager, I want to view just the facts, and I think that years are unnecessary at best and distracting at the worst.

P.S.  Hope this didn't come across as grumpy.  LOL I promise I didn't mean it that way! Big Grin  I'm just super picky about resumes, have worked in rough sales departments where any perceived flaw was a reason to dump the resume and look at the other 500 candidates who have applied.  I've even sat in a room with my leadership team with several resumes that were all equally amazing and nit-picked each one to try to eliminate any of the awesome potential hires just to be able to make a selection.

P.P.S.  Different topic, but I also suggest removing months from the job listing too.    I think most people already do this anyway, but I would HATE to see a resume that says "XYZ Corporation, 3/2014 - 10/2017."   It looks better and eliminates gap issues if this same type of job is listed as "XYZ Corporation 2014-2017."    Of course some companies still require clarification on exact dates, but at the very least, the first glance of your resume won't draw attention to any shortcomings or gaps.

P.P.P.S.  Last edit in a terribly written post!  Sorry!   Just quickly want to say that you only have one to two pages of resume to tell your story and perhaps a cover letter than is important, but that 90% of employers don't read.    That's not a lot of space, so every single piece of information on there should be relevant.   If something isn't setting you apart as a top candidate, remove and replace with something else that will.

I get your point, and I would probably remove the years if I were mostly applying to job openings that only want a resume and cover letter. Currently, most of the jobs I apply to require an application, and the resume is only an attachment. 

I'm kind of at a good age right now. I'm considered old enough to have several years of experience, but I'm not considered old. LOL.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(06-09-2018, 10:01 AM)sanantone Wrote: I get your point, and I would probably remove the years if I were mostly applying to job openings that only want a resume and cover letter. Currently, most of the jobs I apply to require an application, and the resume is only an attachment. 

I'm kind of at a good age right now. I'm considered old enough to have several years of experience, but I'm not considered old. LOL.

Very nice   Big Grin

I'm at a weird age.  I'm 42, but (at least most people tell me) look early to mid-30's.    Great age to look for a salesperson, but too young to be in senior sales leadership.    I have solved this problem somewhat with a pair of fake glasses.   Sounds really dumb, but I just went to Costco and had a pair made with no prescription.    Cost a little bit of money, but I love for Skype interviews and they really do add a few years.    Ha ha ha the only issue was in my last job, I felt the need to wear them from time to time because I had so many rounds of interviews and met so many people in the interview process!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 

At some point, your resume is going to give away your age, even if you degree doesn't.  The fact that I started working in 1989 is going to show that I'm older than many other candidates for sure.  Yes, I can leave off jobs that aren't relevant, but I still started working in accounting full-time in 1991, when I was 20.  At some point very quickly, it becomes relevant (because that's also when I started doing other more important stuff, and you can see my progression).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Some people can hide their age on their resume a lot more easily. Some can't without leaving off important things.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Life Long Learning
I saw an executive's resume that was AMAZING at hiding age. It listed her three most relevant jobs, which covered the past 15 years, then it mentioned skills obtained in prior positions, but focued on the skills and experience, not on the name of the company or the date. I really wish I had kept a copy of it because she worded it so well and her resume was designed using lines as dividers and also to help visually represent what she wanted to highlight.
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
[-] The following 2 users Like burbuja0512's post:
  • jsd, sanantone
(06-09-2018, 03:40 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote: I saw an executive's resume that was AMAZING at hiding age.   It listed her three most relevant jobs, which covered the past 15 years, then it mentioned skills obtained in prior positions, but focued on the skills and experience, not on the name of the company or the date.    I really wish I had kept a copy of it because she worded it so well and her resume was designed using lines as dividers and also to help visually represent what she wanted to highlight.

That's smart!  I have a lot of jobs and years of experience, but there's a lot of overlap in terms of what I did at some of the jobs, so I may try that!!  Especially because I have some very specific experience for certain jobs, that most people wouldn't have (and I know this because in 20 years of job hunting, every single job I went for that asked for that specific experience, I got, and I don't think I'm THAT good at interviewing).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To defend or not to defend, that is the question! bjcheung77 4 608 02-21-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Resume Question ROYISAGIRL 11 1,096 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Resume Rewrite from Indeed Vle045 6 750 06-22-2022, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Another job application question carebear_007 4 648 04-11-2022, 02:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Question: What do you use? For backup, restore, storage? bjcheung77 2 770 09-14-2021, 09:18 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Employment Question Alpha 3 1,049 01-22-2021, 04:45 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Question: DegreeForum Investment bjcheung77 3 1,089 06-06-2020, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Resumé Writer recommendations SDO 5 1,672 05-09-2020, 12:10 PM
Last Post: asianphd
  Question how to study for exam Imbanewbie 3 1,602 02-28-2020, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Question for Techies: Best Things to Learn amilitab4k9 12 2,631 12-11-2019, 12:10 AM
Last Post: amilitab4k9