Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about Charter Oak Concentrations......
It seems unlikely that they wouldn't have one, but I can't seem to find a concentration in Accounting with COSC. Is this correct, or am I just overlooking something?
GLMRGIRL717 Wrote:It seems unlikely that they wouldn't have one, but I can't seem to find a concentration in Accounting with COSC. Is this correct, or am I just overlooking something?

Hi and welcome! Smile

Concentrations (Majors) and CPS Forms at Charter Oak State College doesn't show any sort of accounting concentration. That being said, you might be able to create your own plan under the individualized study option. Let's say you already had a lot of accounting credits, you might be able to put together a Business/Accounting concentration.

If you're really looking to be an accountant, I would suggest that COSC really isn't the school for you. If you just happen to have a bunch of accounting classes under your belt, COSC is flexible enough to be able to find something to do with those credits. I guess it depends on your goals.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Seems to me that you could put 12 UL Accounting credits in the Business concentration and stash any others in electives. If you absolutely need a BSBA in Accounting rather than Business Admin, burb's advice seems accurate to me. If your goal is eligibility for the CPA exam and licensing, what you need to worry about is taking the right courses, both general business and accounting, to get the state licensing board's approval.
As a side note if you are looking beyond an accounting degree to the CPA exam, many states will allow you to sit for the CPA exam with ANY degree if you have earned enough accumulated units, usually 150, and include a certain number of business and accounting courses. For California 24 units of accounting courses and 24 units of business courses, New York its 33 accounting and 36 business.

In my studies I just happen to have accumulated enough transcribed units, all I need to sit for the exam in California is two more classes of accounting. As per this page; CPA Requirements

I am going to take a computer based accounting course (quickbooks) and a payroll accounting course in the fall and I will have all my requirements done. I'm not going to sit for the exam right now because I can't afford the prep classes, but its nice to know that I could.
addision Wrote:As a side note if you are looking beyond an accounting degree to the CPA exam, many states will allow you to sit for the CPA exam with ANY degree if you have earned enough accumulated units, usually 150, and include a certain number of business and accounting courses. For California 24 units of accounting courses and 24 units of business courses, New York its 33 accounting and 36 business.

In my studies I just happen to have accumulated enough transcribed units, all I need to sit for the exam in California is two more classes of accounting. As per this page; CPA Requirements

I am going to take a computer based accounting course (quickbooks) and a payroll accounting course in the fall and I will have all my requirements done. I'm not going to sit for the exam right now because I can't afford the prep classes, but its nice to know that I could.

This is really good info and especially informative for someone who perhaps wants to make a mid-career switch without doing a whole new degree. I'm not sure how it varies from state to state, but with all of the testing junkies we have on this site, I would be surprised if this doesn't pique the interest of at least one person Wink
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
So this is exactly the thread that I needed to read. I have the following credits:

Financial Accounting (3 credits LL)
Managerial Accounting (3 credits LL)
Intermediate Accounting 1 (3 credits UL)
Intermediate Accounting 2 (3 credits UL)
Advanced Accounting (3 credits UL)
Accounting Theory (3 credits UL)
Individual Taxation (3 credits UL)
Corporate Taxation (3 credits UL)

15 Years ago I wanted to be an accountant but have been in software development ever since. So it is not important to me if I get a degree in Accounting. I am looking for the path of least resistance to getting my Bachelors degree in something.

If I go to Excelsior College, they want me take Cost Accounting. But I have absolutely no interest in accounting. My MIS class is over 5 years (a COSC restriction) but I am confident I can ace the DSST in MIS.

So looking at what others are saying, I may just need Ethics(dsst), MIS(dsst), Capstone, Cornerstone and OrgBehavior(dsst). That's 3 DSSTs and the 2 COSC classes!

I wish I would have looked at COSC a bit closer because I already paid my enrollment at Excelsior. But on a good note, I think I may be really really close if I go with COSC.

What do you guys think?
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"]Pixal00p[/SIZE]
--------
Excelsior College - BS in Business, General Business - May 2012
Cal State Fullerton - MS in Software Engineering - Application submitted.
[/SIZE]
I think $75 spent with COSC to apply and get a better idea of where you stand is money well spent. You might be very close.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:I think $75 spent with COSC to apply and get a better idea of where you stand is money well spent. You might be very close.

Quite true Rebel. :iagree:
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"]Pixal00p[/SIZE]
--------
Excelsior College - BS in Business, General Business - May 2012
Cal State Fullerton - MS in Software Engineering - Application submitted.
[/SIZE]
rebel100 Wrote:I think $75 spent with COSC to apply and get a better idea of where you stand is money well spent. You might be very close.

LOL Rebel, this is exactly what I was going to say!! Wink
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Hi Pixaloop!

Make sure the Individualized Study option is "in something" and not just another version of Liberal Studies. In other words, will it say Accounting on your transcript and/or diploma? If you switch to BSLS at EC, you could get an Area of Focus in accounting. (You'll need to double-check that they offer one in that subject.) It will be listed on your transcript, but I don't think it is on the diploma.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,674 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,467 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,697 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,098 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  GPA Question mysonx3 10 2,672 08-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: katelynn
  Question about TESU UL Requirements mysonx3 1 1,743 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Equivalency Question dexter1326 4 1,992 08-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU Course equivalency question. jbwyo 6 1,995 08-10-2018, 11:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,824 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  Replacing LL with UL duplicate course question (COSC) ReyMysterioso 6 2,032 07-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Last Post: topdog98