Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A&P advice for memorization and lab
My school's anatomy and physiology class doesn't start until 3 more weeks but our professor gave us the option to get ahead , right now we're doing the organization and the human body and it seems interesting , but I got curious and looked ahead and then got overwhelmed ( like for chapter 1 we read like 24 pages and for chapter 2 , pretty much the physiology/chemistry part we have to read double) Do you guys have any tips on how to remember all of it ( I studied from 2-4 and then 5-9).  I'm doing okay writing my lecture notes but I'm very timid about lab. Because I heard that some people do really well on lecture but fail lab. For people who have taken anatomy how did you remember everything?
(08-03-2019, 08:50 PM)2L8 Wrote: My school's anatomy and physiology class doesn't start until 3 more weeks but our professor gave us the option to get ahead , right now we're doing the organization and the human body and it seems interesting , but I got curious and looked ahead and then got overwhelmed ( like for chapter 1 we read like 24 pages and for chapter 2 , pretty much the physiology/chemistry part we have to read double) Do you guys have any tips on how to remember all of it ( I studied from 2-4 and then 5-9).  I'm doing okay writing my lecture notes but I'm very timid about lab. Because I heard that some people do really well on lecture but fail lab. For people who have taken anatomy how did you remember everything?

I think those of us who have taken A&P warned you that the memorization was going to be HUGE. I also remember suggesting you finish biology and chemistry and medical terminology FIRST.
I realize you can do what you want, but don't underestimate how important it is to get an A in this class for nursing school admissions, even if that means dropping the rest of your schedule. There's also A&P II which will be just as hard. A&P is no joke, it's the reason most people don't get into nursing school. If you're open to advice, clear your social life, drop classes you can save for later, and FOCUS on nothing but this.

Also, The Great Courses has a fantastic A&P course online that saved my butt. Seriously, it's worth looking at.
Jennifer said it all. 

I know one thing that helps me with stuff like this is flashcards. I like to snap a picture of a region, organ, et cetera and cross the label off. If you have a smartphone, I highly recommend the Anki flashcard app. If you aren't up to making your own "deck," there are probably several floating around the interwebs that a quick Google search would help you find. I would recommend making your own deck though, since a.) it provides extra exposure to the content, and b.) you know your learning style the best. 

Mnemonics are a lifesaver too. The more outrageous, the better. For instance, if you were trying to remember the number of total lung lobes, you could say.

2 Larrys Laugh at 3 Rabid Llamas
2 Left Lobes, 3 Right Lobes

You should see the medical / disease mnemonics.  Big Grin
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
[-] The following 1 user Likes MSK9's post:
  • indigoshuffle
(08-23-2019, 10:43 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(08-03-2019, 08:50 PM)2L8 Wrote: My school's anatomy and physiology class doesn't start until 3 more weeks but our professor gave us the option to get ahead , right now we're doing the organization and the human body and it seems interesting , but I got curious and looked ahead and then got overwhelmed ( like for chapter 1 we read like 24 pages and for chapter 2 , pretty much the physiology/chemistry part we have to read double) Do you guys have any tips on how to remember all of it ( I studied from 2-4 and then 5-9).  I'm doing okay writing my lecture notes but I'm very timid about lab. Because I heard that some people do really well on lecture but fail lab. For people who have taken anatomy how did you remember everything?

I think those of us who have taken A&P warned you that the memorization was going to be HUGE.  I also remember suggesting you finish biology and chemistry and medical terminology FIRST.  
I realize you can do what you want, but don't underestimate how important it is to get an A in this class for nursing school admissions, even if that means dropping the rest of your schedule.  There's also A&P II which will be just as hard.  A&P is no joke, it's the reason most people don't get into nursing school.  If you're open to advice, clear your social life, drop classes you can save for later, and FOCUS on nothing but this.  

Also, The Great Courses has a fantastic A&P course online that saved my butt.  Seriously, it's worth looking at.
 Thanks Ms.Coookderosa Smile , It's though but I have made 91 on lecture and I'm awaiting my lab grade. I will also look into these courses too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 2L8's post:
  • cookderosa
(08-26-2019, 02:48 PM)2L8 Wrote:

I think those of us who have taken A&P warned you that the memorization was going to be HUGE.  I also remember suggesting you finish biology and chemistry and medical terminology FIRST.  
I realize you can do what you want, but don't underestimate how important it is to get an A in this class for nursing school admissions, even if that means dropping the rest of your schedule.  There's also A&P II which will be just as hard.  A&P is no joke, it's the reason most people don't get into nursing school.  If you're open to advice, clear your social life, drop classes you can save for later, and FOCUS on nothing but this.  

Also, The Great Courses has a fantastic A&P course online that saved my butt.  Seriously, it's worth looking at.
 Thanks Ms.Coookderosa Smile , It's though but I have made 91 on lecture and I'm awaiting my lab grade. I will also look into these courses too.

Congratulations! You're off to a great start!
(08-26-2019, 08:44 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(08-26-2019, 02:48 PM)2L8 Wrote:

Congratulations!  You're off to a great start!

91 on Lecture , 80 on Lab ( not too shabby but could be better)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,571 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,163 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,023 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  Need advice to get either 30 credits and be registered at a school or 60 suzycupcake 20 1,971 06-18-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Warren Buffett Has 1 Key Piece of Career Advice for College Kids LevelUP 2 682 03-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Any Project Managers on this board? Seeking advice collegechick 3 948 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: ashkir
Question Is an Ivy-League Nursing school even worth it? Plus I need some advice too 2L8 25 5,613 09-19-2021, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Alpha
Star TESU or WGU? Advice needed, Ground 0, want to be as realistic as possible! OP88 15 4,036 05-29-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: OP88
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,253 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007