Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about Study.com TESU discount
Hi guys,

My friend is going to apply this week for TESU to do his capstone in June before the discount disappears.  To get the study.com discount what level of membership does he have to purchase on Study.com ?  Can he do the $60 one for now, or does he have to buy the $200 one ?
He has to do the $199/mo one for a month, and in theory he should also pass at least 1 course (although 2 are included in the cost). The issue is that some advisors/enrollment people at TESU won't put in the affiliate membership until they see an actual course come through.

Your friend needs to register before June 30th, but if he waited until close to that date, he could actually register for the August term - so not a huge rush to get going. He could easily do these 2 courses in a month before he actually had to start doing the capstone.

Also, the Residency Waiver Fee is (probably) going to go up after June 30 as well, so he could pay the current fee if he was close to graduation, to save the money there as well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
He needs the $200 one. It will be easiest if he signs up with study.com first, then checks the study.com box on the TESU application.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Yenisei
Apply for the guardian scholarship and pay $0 a month from study.com. Best deal I ever got. They put the discount on before they got the transcript for study.com
I also did the Guardian Scholarship. Big fat $0. As soon as I was in Study.Com on the Guardian, I emailed the Registrar at TESU and they put me on the Study.Com affiliate program.
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

(04-19-2018, 07:44 PM)ChilliDawg Wrote: I also did the Guardian Scholarship.  Big fat $0.  As soon as I was in Study.Com on the Guardian, I emailed the Registrar at TESU and they put me on the Study.Com affiliate program.

Unfortunately hes Canadian so he does not qualify for the guardian scholarship Sad
Is this discount definitely going to disappear?
(04-23-2018, 04:33 AM)fork Wrote: Is this discount definitely going to disappear?

Not disappear completely, but we expect TESU prices to go up, and for the Study.com affiliation discount percentage to go down. Nobody knows for sure, but the discount is a pretty big percentage right now.

(04-23-2018, 04:59 AM)Ideas Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 04:33 AM)fork Wrote: Is this discount definitely going to disappear?

Not disappear completely, but we expect TESU prices to go up, and for the Study.com affiliation discount percentage to go down. Nobody knows for sure, but the discount is a pretty big percentage right now.

Just to clarify, we don't know that it won't disappear either, but that isn't likely.

We assume TESU will continue the affiliation agreement and that there will be a discount, but it won't be as nice. TESU will likely be raising prices in July as they usually do, and the new discount is expected to be a percentage off those revised prices (rather than a set cost like they are now.)

To give you an idea of what to expect, per the TESU website, the Study.com discount is supposed to provide the following benefits:
  • Waiver of the TES-100 Cornerstone course
  • In-state pricing for both Per-Credit and Comprehensive Tuition Plans
  • 10% reduction on Residency Waiver Fee
  • 5% Tuition reduction on Per Credit Tuition Plan tuition
The cornerstone costs $300 to take, so that's $300 off right there which could possibly go away.
The residency waiver fee is normally $2,500. 10% off would be $2,250. We're currently paying $1,800 which is $450 off the listed discount.
The in-state per credit tuition is currently $396/cr. 5% off that would be $376. We're currently paying $366, so $10/cr off the listed discount. Out-of-state resident tuition is normally $499/cr so for most of us, so the discount becomes more like $133/cr off normal tuition pricing.

So assuming those discount percentages stay as is, the discounts will probably be based on whatever TESU raises the prices to on July 1st. Either way, it means prices are going up. Hopefully not by a lot, but it will add up... particularly if they get rid of stuff like the cornerstone waiver and/or in-state pricing on tuition, in addition to adjusting everything else to the 10% or 5% off values.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 3 users Like Merlin's post:
  • cookderosa, MooSaysCow, Yenisei
I called the bursar's office and was told I could send in the receipt from study.com to make me eligible for the affiliate discount.

(04-23-2018, 07:06 AM)Excellente Wrote: I called the bursar's office and was told I could send in the receipt from study.com to make me eligible for the affiliate discount.

Clarification: so, as soon as you pay the $199/ study.com, send the receipt to TESU.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com Employee Discount natshar 5 11,884 09-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,922 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,020 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,578 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,289 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,279 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,317 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic