Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about Transferring Credits
Hello. I am considering transferring my previous credits to UMPI for its undergraduate program, and below are three of my questions about it. If you know anything related to them, pls comment, it helps a lot. Thanks!

1. Will the undergraduate degree of UMPI be accepted by the top 50 US universities for a graduate degree?
2. Is anyone going to apply or has applied to a US university for a graduate degree using the UMPI degree? 
3. Is anyone going to transfer previous credits to UMPI and improve the overall GPA by finishing its undergraduate degree? Or has anyone tried it before? Is it practicable?
No one can guarantee any school will accept a degree. UMPI is part of the University of Maine state system so there's no reason for it not to check the box of having a bachelor's degree.

Numerous UMPI grads from this forum are in grad school right now. I'm in grad school right and I have 2 bachelor's degrees from UMPI. One of our alumni is in a doctoral program right now. UMPI has had thousands of grads over the years and many have gone on in their education.

You can't improve your GPA with transfer credits. Whatever grades you've earned at previous institutions will remain with you forever. Your UMPI GPA will only include your courses completed at UMPI. Transfer credit is not included in your GPA. Grad schools look at your overall GPA. Sometimes only the last 60 credits are looked at depending on the school and the program.
@Nelson Lin,
1. It depends on what degree program and university you're applying, it's not always about the GPA, you need to hit all the requirements and more...
2. Many people who have a degree from any of our recommend providers have gone to numerous graduate programs, some pretty high ranked too...
3. Overall GPA can be bumped up if you do well at any of our preferred universities. UMPI or whatever you decide, you can get a higher GPA total...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I might be wrong but I'm guessing that Nelson doesn't have a lot of experience with the US higher education system.  That's OK but it makes it a bit harder to answer because you can't make many assumptions about what he knows and what he doesn't.  I think that the answer to all 3 of his questions is Yes but then there are all sorts of details attached.  UMPI is a perfectly good school, accredited in all the necessary ways and there's no reason to sniff at their degrees.  However, if you want to get into grad school your GPA needs to be rather good.  That's especially true if you're aiming at a grad program that has competitive admissions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,503 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,930 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 683 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,254 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 507 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,146 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 399 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)? therightstuff 18 1,840 11-01-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
Information 3 credits in quantitative reasoning for $39 (ACE) MNomadic 92 18,802 10-30-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  What if my Degree contains too many Transfered Credits from Sophia etc.? ecdw94 19 2,863 10-17-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: midnite123