Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about resume
Hi, I want to update my resume, I did Google around. Now there are so many fancy resume template a and you can put a picture. I have been using the old style format template. Do you think it is good time to update my resume?  Do anyone have a  free website  teaching you how to build a resume?
Missouri State university MBA in process
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
NEXT: In Future Ph.D in ???

(08-13-2019, 07:48 AM)Imbanewbie Wrote: Hi, I want to update my resume, I did Google around. Now there are so many fancy resume template a and you can put a picture. I have been using the old style format template. Do you think it is good time to update my resume?  Do anyone have a  free website  teaching you how to build a resume?

Keep it simple - "Here’s an example of the perfect resume, according to Harvard career experts"

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/10/an-examp...perts.html
Working on... MS-ITM @ WGU (started June 2019)
Thomas Edison State University (TESU) 
- BSBA General Management, December 2018
- ASNSM in Computer Science, December 2018
That link has a workable sample, it's pretty well made. For myself, I do it completely differently, I usually have 1 page CV, 1 to 2 page resume. I would keep the pages to a minimum as HR or the managers usually only like to read a snippet of info that really pops up with the most critical info for them... I've had to revise many friends and other people who send me resumes/cv's... most of them have at least 5 to 6 pages of useless info and I shrink it down to two.
Done: TESU ASNSM Biology, ASBA/BSBA (ACBSP Accredited in 2017)
Working on: TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Deferred: **Deciding on several Masters/PHD programs**

2018 BALS and BSBA Spreadsheet using mainly SL/Study.com (post#28,31)
The Basic Approach | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Review Beginners Guide sticky for info on TESU BALS/BSBA in 4 months (post #16)
~Note: Read Wiki guide links for TESU equivalency - CLEP/DSST/SL/Study.com, etc
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Muldoon
(08-13-2019, 12:53 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That link has a workable sample, it's pretty well made.  For myself, I do it completely differently, I usually have 1 page CV, 1 to 2 page resume.  I would keep the pages to a minimum as HR or the managers usually only like to read a snippet of info that really pops up with the most critical info for them...  I've had to revise many friends and other people who send me resumes/cv's... most of them have at least 5 to 6 pages of useless info and I shrink it down to two.

Hi bjcheung,

Do you have some good website to use the resume format? I can compare.

(08-13-2019, 08:10 AM)allvia Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 07:48 AM)Imbanewbie Wrote: Hi, I want to update my resume, I did Google around. Now there are so many fancy resume template a and you can put a picture. I have been using the old style format template. Do you think it is good time to update my resume?  Do anyone have a  free website  teaching you how to build a resume?

Keep it simple - "Here’s an example of the perfect resume, according to Harvard career experts"

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/10/an-examp...perts.html

Thank you, It is very good resource. I may use similar format.

You can keep off things like age and a list of references. For U.S. hiring at least, photos are a no-go, while they are generally expected for positions in other countries around the world. It depends on where you are applying.

I always preferred to receive just a crisp one-page resume with prior experience and accomplishments that were tailored to the open position. I keep mine only one single page, too.

If you want a sample template and quick guide, I've created one that I've used with students. Feel free to message if you like, and good luck to you either way!

Senior college admissions counselor in Beijing with research interest in higher ed college access. Reverts to PADI Divemaster when near a coast.

BS Anthropology | Tulane University '08 (3.90, summa cum laude
MS Early Childhood Studies: Administration, Management, & Leadership | Walden University '19 (3.90)
Certificate College Access Counseling | Rice University '19
Certificate Teachers College College Advising Program | Columbia University '19
Other TOEFL/IELTS Trainer; Alumni/Company Interviewer; National Resume Writers' Association (completed coursework!)
Goals: A) 2nd MS in Higher Ed; B) 51/195 Countries; C) Find good hamburger in Beijing (accomplished June '19!)

(08-14-2019, 02:25 AM)PrettyFlyforaChiGuy Wrote: You can keep off things like age and a list of references. For U.S. hiring at least, photos are a no-go, while they are generally expected for positions in other countries around the world. It depends on where you are applying.

I always preferred to receive just a crisp one-page resume with prior experience and accomplishments that were tailored to the open position. I keep mine only one single page, too.

If you want a sample template and quick guide, I've created one that I've used with students. Feel free to message if you like, and good luck to you either way!
It will be very helpful. I will send you messages

I stick to a 2 page, so I can print it on one sheet, both sides. I put the most important stuff on the first page so that if they don't bother with page 2, it's OK. BTW, the education section is on page 2 since I figure that if someone really wants to know, they'll probably be willing to check the second page. I also don't think a picture is a great idea. Whether you look good, bad or in between, somebody is bound to not like what they see.

I have a funny thing that happened recently. My resume lists my degree, but doesn't list a date since I don't particularly want draw attention to the fact my degree is recent. I would do the same if I got my degree straight out of HS so as not to draw attention to my age. Anyway, I did a job interview. Now, I'm a very experienced software engineer so my education usually never gets looked at except just to see that it's there. This one guy, however, wanted to know when I attended TESU and what my GPA was. Seemed happy enough with my answer, but it WAS strange.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio? - InstantCert Credit
(08-18-2019, 06:31 PM)davewill Wrote: I stick to a 2 page, so I can print it on one sheet, both sides. I put the most important stuff on the first page so that if they don't bother with page 2, it's OK. BTW, the education section is on page 2 since I figure that if someone really wants to know, they'll probably be willing to check the second page. I also don't think a picture is a great idea. Whether you look good, bad or in between, somebody is bound to not like what they see.

I have a funny thing that happened recently. My resume lists my degree, but doesn't list a date since I don't particularly want draw attention to the fact my degree is recent. I would do the same if I got my degree straight out of HS so as not to draw attention to my age. Anyway, I did a job interview. Now, I'm a very experienced software engineer so my education usually never gets looked at except just to see that it's there. This one guy, however, wanted to know when I attended TESU and what my GPA was. Seemed happy enough with my answer, but it WAS strange.
Maybe the HR wants to look for a candidate with high gpa and other criteria. At the end, what happen?

(08-21-2019, 07:17 AM)Imbanewbie Wrote: Maybe the HR wants to look for a candidate with high gpa and other criteria. At the end, what happen?

That's the strange part, he was an engineer, not the recruiter. Anyway, they put off filling the position, but the recruiter followed up saying he might be getting back to me in not too long. I told him that if I'm still available, I'd be interested.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio? - InstantCert Credit

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about mooc Imbanewbie 2 142 08-16-2019, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter Tips natshar 3 142 08-01-2019, 08:30 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Education Section of Job Resume katelynn 14 603 05-17-2019, 11:02 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  CompTIA A+ Question MrBossmanJr 6 464 08-09-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Question Regarding Resume Regards 33 1,977 06-10-2018, 12:39 PM
Last Post: icampy
  Ethics of listing degree(s) on resume Thorne 15 2,945 01-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Transcript Question Regards 4 835 11-24-2017, 12:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Resume, Cover Letter - Introduction Letter Examples bjcheung77 17 1,517 10-02-2017, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Gcheads
  Pell Grant Question Kirsten 3 853 09-17-2017, 06:45 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Apostrophe Question High_Order1 2 1,092 08-10-2017, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Thorne