Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Question for Big Three Gads who Went on to Grad School
(02-05-2019, 08:07 PM)retro Wrote:
Quote:Most grad schools will want all of your transcripts. They will calculate a cumulative GPA based on every school you've attended.

That's a problem. So, my previous GPA from my previous college was in the 1.95 range. My HS transcripts reflect a very similar 1.9x GPA. I need desperately to counteract this as this isn't a true reflection of my capabilities.
In a nutshell:
  • I have ADHD/dyslexia with an IQ far above average. The ADHD is well managed now, but could not be at the time. Also, absolutely nobody knew what to do with me given that I am what is now called a "twice exceptional."
  • My HS's idea of special education was to treat me as no different than some kid with a low IQ and just lower the bar, pass me, and not really make genuine attempts at helping me actually remediate my issues.
  • This of course did nothing to prepare me for college and untreated ADHD had its effects on other subjects.
  • My college flat out refused to accommodate my dyslexia's impact on my math skills. Yes, it's illegal. Yes, they got away with it because I didn't have the legal resources to push back. It has been 20 years, I can hardly hold them accountable now.
I have no real choice but to own that. I can cry about it or do something about it.

Ideas that have crossed my mind:
  • Compensate by getting three BS degrees, even if they're all ACE/NCCRS credits.
  • Study for the SAT/LSAT as an adult, with the proper accommodations and aim very high.
  • This is perhaps "unicorn country" but, most schools have a policy of accepting the higher GPA when a course is failed. Turn that policy on its ear and go take a GED test as a one-for-one counter to my original HS grades.
I'm open to suggestions here, lots of them.

My undergraduate GPA was terrible, so I took community college courses to boost the last 60 credit hours to a 3.0. Graduate school admissions requirements will tell you whether they're looking at overall GPA or the last 60 credit hours. I can tell you that needing a school that only looked at the last 60 credit hours severely limited my options. I'm only able to get into so many programs now because I already have a master's in which I earned a high GPA. I also had high GRE scores.

Here's something I've never encountered before. University of Central Missouri doesn't calculate a cumulative GPA. They go off the GPA on the degree-granting transcript. Well, I don't have a GPA on my TESU transcript because I transferred in everything, and the capstone wasn't required at the time. UCMO ended up defaulting my undergraduate GPA to a 3.0. Honestly, that's probably higher than my real undergraduate GPA.  Big Grin
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
How high do GRE scores need to be for a good grad school? In the 330 range? Also, does it matter which scores are higher? Quant or Verbal?
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(02-05-2019, 11:50 PM)Supermind Wrote: How high do GRE scores need to be for a good grad school? In the 330 range? Also, does it matter which scores are higher? Quant or Verbal?

It depends on the type of program. If the program is not math-heavy, then your quantitative score will only need to be around the 45th percentile or a little higher. Social science and humanities programs at good schools will likely want your verbal score to be in the 60th percentile or higher. It fluctuates as more people take the test, but my verbal has been hovering at the 87th and 88th percentiles.

I once asked about the class profile for an integrative science PhD program at an okay school. The faculty member said that students who are accepted usually score higher than the 70th percentile on the quantitative section. But, this is a well-funded PhD program, so expect the standards to be a little lower for a master's program in the sciences. 

Overall, I often see decent schools wanting a 305 or higher. Podunk State Universities might be fine with a 295.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(02-05-2019, 07:10 PM)retro Wrote: Did any of you get into a State school?

TESU and COSC are both state schools.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • cookderosa
I attempted the GRE even before I started with my TESU undergrad degree. I just wanted to try and see how it feels, and one of my friends actually said that it would serve as a good prep to re-enter formal education after a long hiatus. I scored 318, with a verbal score of 164. I am thinking if I should attempt GRE again sometime soon, to see if I can raise my quant score as well. I would like to do a Masters in Psychology, and from what I see online, my Verbal score fits the requirements of good grad schools. But I just want to be sure.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(02-06-2019, 12:06 AM)jsd Wrote:
(02-05-2019, 07:10 PM)retro Wrote: Did any of you get into a State school?

TESU and COSC are both state schools.

And, there are state schools that practically have open admissions at the graduate level. That's why it's important specify what is wanted.

Podunk State U that's out in the boonies and has less than 2,000 students. 
Directional State U where people go when they can't get into flagship universities. 
Flagship universities.
Universities with popular football teams (often flagships).
Public Ivies that are almost as prestigious as the Ivy League.

(02-06-2019, 12:08 AM)Supermind Wrote: I attempted the GRE even before I started with my TESU undergrad degree. I just wanted to try and see how it feels, and one of my friends actually said that it would serve as a good prep to re-enter formal education after a long hiatus. I scored 318, with a verbal score of 164. I am thinking if I should attempt GRE again sometime soon, to see if I can raise my quant score as well. I would like to do a Masters in Psychology, and from what I see online, my Verbal score fits the requirements of good grad schools. But I just want to be sure.

That's a good score. What psychology programs want for quantitative scores varies with how much they focus on statistics. A lot of people don't know that psychology can get pretty quantitative. But, you seem good to go for most programs.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • jsd
(02-05-2019, 07:10 PM)retro Wrote: Some of us come to the "big three" with a ton of credits from previous attempts at college. Personally, I am having to start from scratch. What credits I do have are from an institution that was on a "quarter hour" system instead of "semester hours"; these translate at a steep "discount" and are basically worthless.

Just an FYI, quarter-system credits are not worthless - they are just calculated differently.  Remember that if you stayed at a quarter-system school, you would need 180cr, vs 120cr at a semester-system school.  The discount is not that steep: you multiply your quarter credits by 2/3 to convert to semesters.  I do degree plans for people who transfer from q-to-s all the time, it's not a big deal, and TESU will accept them as meeting the requirements many times (like, if you have to take 3cr in Diversity, and you took Sociology at a quarter school for 4cr, it would convert to 2.67cr and TESU would accept it, the requirement would be met, and you'd just need an additional .33cr in the GE Electives area.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
You can also divide the quarter units by 1.5. I used some quarter units from Colorado Tech.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I graduated from TESU in 2004 with a BA in Psychology. I think my GPA was about 3.3, GMAT was 640. Had about 40 credits worth of CLEP/DSST/UExcel. 6 years work experience. I was accepted and went to Georgia Tech for an MBA. I think they are rated Top 25 for biz schools. Working on a second BA in CS now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jonesy20's post:
  • suzycupcake
(02-23-2019, 01:51 AM)jonesy20 Wrote: I graduated from TESU in 2004 with a BA in Psychology. I think my GPA was about 3.3, GMAT was 640. Had about 40 credits worth of CLEP/DSST/UExcel. 6 years work experience. I was accepted and went to Georgia Tech for an MBA. I think they are rated Top 25 for biz schools. Working on a second BA in CS now.

Congratulations!!! I have my eye on them for my son, I like their $10k master's options.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 876 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,841 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,340 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,277 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,244 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  masters in UX design or human computer interaction - MOOC question Sara143 7 637 01-04-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Sara143
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,270 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,406 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,349 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,061 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina