Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for those with two associates degrees
I've seen a few people on the forum with two associates degrees. If you used CLEPs towards your associates degrees did the Algebra/College Comp/Science count towards both degrees?
n2yoga Wrote:I've seen a few people on the forum with two associates degrees. If you used CLEPs towards your associates degrees did the Algebra/College Comp/Science count towards both degrees?

General Education stuff general moves from degree to degree, meaning if you get two degree they don't make you do another "XX" credits in general ed. Also don't get two associates degrees just get a bachelors degree.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
It's best to go for a Bachelors Degree as mentioned, but some people would like to also have an Associates degree or two en-route to that Bachelors.
A very good idea as it may not cost anything or very little in regards to taking a couple extra classes for each associates. Go for it!

As mentioned, the general education requirements are the same for any Associates, it's the specialization that's different (generally 15-20 credits).
Example: AAS (degree with specific 21 credits requirements and 39 electives) AA or AS both have specific requirements and 15-20 electives.

How do people do it? They capitalize on the general education electives and free electives of the Bachelors, and use those 20-26 credits in the AA/AS.
Example: I am using all my ASNSM Biology specialty credits in my general education and free electives section of my BSBA General Management.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I'm curious about two Associates Degrees because my high school daughter has 69 CELP/ACE credits but the AAS fine-art degree program she's looking at only uses 18 of those CLEP hours. I'm wondering if she can get a TESU AS in General Ed sicne all she lacks is the Capstone class. Then she could move on to the Art Bachelors Degree. She can't get a TESU degree until after the AAS beacsue we were told her chance of admission to the AAS program is higher as a Freshman than as a transfer student. I just don't want to see all of the CLEPS go to waste. Some may count towards the Bachelors Degree program but I'm thinking more may count as transfer. Am I wrong?
My first AAS was a quick, get er done, credential used to check HR box on my way to BA SS. Then, while working on BSBA, realized I could pick up a free AAS ESST at the same time. Why not? The second AAS actually supports my career much better than the first; it was a win-win decision.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
n2yoga Wrote:I'm curious about two Associates Degrees because my high school daughter has 69 CELP/ACE credits but the AAS fine-art degree program she's looking at only uses 18 of those CLEP hours. I'm wondering if she can get a TESU AS in General Ed sicne all she lacks is the Capstone class. Then she could move on to the Art Bachelors Degree. She can't get a TESU degree until after the AAS beacsue we were told her chance of admission to the AAS program is higher as a Freshman than as a transfer student. I just don't want to see all of the CLEPS go to waste. Some may count towards the Bachelors Degree program but I'm thinking more may count as transfer. Am I wrong?

First, the TESU AA is very expensive (that $1800 or $2500 residency waiver fee is too expensive for an AA in my opinion). You'd be better of getting the AA at COSC. Or the BOG AAS at one of the colleges that offers it without residency: WVNCC or Pierpont or one of those.

Second, I have no clue what you're talking about in regards to the Art Bachelor's degree, admission into the AAS program, etc. Very confusing on which school you're talking about here. Same school...2 different schools...not sure.

Third, I'm also confused about the CLEP's counting "towards the Bachelor's Degree program" vs. "count as transfer." I'm really unsure as to what you're asking here.

If you were to go to TESU for your 1st BA (either after an AA/AS/AAS or not), they would count ALL of the courses/exams/credits that you've already taken towards your degree. They don't say "oh, these went towards the AA, so now we won't use them" or whatever you're talking about there. They just look at all of the credits you've gotten, and plug them into the degree plan and see what's left to take.

If you need more help or have more questions, please clarify which schools you're talking about for each program so we can help you a little better.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The real answer is YES, you can use the same CLEP/DSST/UExcel over and over again. No issues if that college accepts these exams. Multi-degrees at both the AS and BS levels can be had.cheersmate

n2yoga Wrote:I've seen a few people on the forum with two associates degrees. If you used CLEPs towards your associates degrees did the Algebra/College Comp/Science count towards both degrees?
exms and ACE Transcriot
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

In my case no, but that was because of a lot of things not relevant to your question lol - you'll be able to use the CLEP both times.
Different schools offer different amounts of credit for CLEP and many do not accept some of the CLEP exams. My son is attending our local Community college in the fall and will probably get his AS there, but for his Bachelor's degree is thinking of attending Liberty University online. Liberty accepts ACE and gives much more credit for CLEP exams that our Community college does. I can see where it would be quicker to get an Associates at one of the big 3 or another school that gives more credit for CLEP and accepts other ACE credit. That is one of the things that we are considering in deciding if my son just attends the CC to accumulate credit, or to work toward an Associate degree before transferring. Our CC does not accept ACE and my son has already accumulated some ACE credit in addition to some College Credit through Dual Enrollment. I think I understand what you are asking, and it is really up to the student whether they want to do all the transferring required to acheive two different Associate degrees.
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 10 520 04-17-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Associate degrees??? midnite123 10 614 04-03-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 13 1,795 03-28-2024, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 742 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,751 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 1 445 02-20-2024, 01:13 AM
Last Post: mancheseter24
  Futurelearn has BA degrees in Marketing & Design for 13k USD. Masters for 7k USD. nyvrem 1 275 02-16-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How others think of college degrees... bjcheung77 5 575 12-31-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: natshar
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,144 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Why degree mills center so hard in post-graduate degrees? elcastor21 7 952 12-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: nykorn