Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question regarding Education Portal
Does anyone use Education Portal- It's $50 or $100 per month. I am wondering if it's worth the investment for my kids? They are working on test credits. If you use it, I would like to hear pros and cons.

TIA
Began Aug 2014
geissingert Wrote:Does anyone use Education Portal- It's $50 or $100 per month. I am wondering if it's worth the investment for my kids? They are working on test credits. If you use it, I would like to hear pros and cons.

TIA

When they were free, I used their videos in preparation for my the NCCRS approved Saylor Marketing exam. I have not used them for other courses though- but for Marketing, I'll say it was worth it. I know two others who used EP videos for Saylor's Marketing and they passed, too.
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
I used them quite a bit to prep for CLEP and DSST tests when they were still free and they were great. I don't really think that they are worth $50/month though IMHO.

EDIT TO ADD: Another resource you could look into is hippocampus http://hippocampus.org/. I don't know what subjects your kids are studying, but hippocampus has math, science, history, government, economics, English and a few others. I used many of their videos when I was studying and I really liked them. Smile
CLEP:
West. Civ I - 65, A&I Lit - 66, Biology - 65, Chemistry - 55, Nat. Sciences - 64, US Hist I - 68, Am. Lit - 61, US Hist II - 62, Am. Gov. - 67, Macroecon. - 63, Microecon. - 75, College Comp. - 66, Prin. of Marketing - 68, Prin. of Mngt - 71

DSST:
Civil War and Reconst. - 70, Prin. of Supervision - 443, Intro to World Rel - 477, Intro to Bus - 443, HR Mgmt - 64, Intro to Computing - 458, Prin. of Fin. Acct - 80Big Grin, Bus Ethics & Society - 447, Prin. of Finance - 437

ALEKS:
Int. Algebra, College Algebra, Precalc, Intro to Stats., Business Stats.

SAYLOR:
Corp. Comm - 78%, Bus Law and Ethics - 76%

PENN FOSTER:
Manag. Acct. - 96, Int. Acct. 1 - 98, Int. Acct. 2 - 87, Cost Acct. - 94, Strategic Bus. Mngt. - 95

ADAMS STATE:
Auditing - 89

LSU:
Adv. Acct. - B

TECEP:
Fed Income Taxation

BSBA Accounting
I am cheap..... Hence I say utilize other study methods. Such as: HippoCampus - Homework and Study Help - Free help with your algebra, biology, environmental science, American government, US history, physics and religion homework and Earn College Credit or Free Study Guides and Practice Tests - DantesTestPrep.com

Oh and Khan Academy too. I just hate paying for anything.
A.A.S. IN RESPIRATORY CARE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2007
A.A. IN SOCIAL SCIENCE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2015
B.S.A.S.T IN RESPIRATORY CARE (TESU) 2015
smf6824 Wrote:I am cheap..... Hence I say utilize other study methods. Such as: HippoCampus - Homework and Study Help - Free help with your algebra, biology, environmental science, American government, US history, physics and religion homework and Earn College Credit or Free Study Guides and Practice Tests - DantesTestPrep.com

Oh and Khan Academy too. I just hate paying for anything.

I'm the same way. I've only paid for Instantcert because it's a fast way for studying, it's worked well for me so far, and they're only $20 per month. I have free study sources in my signature.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I used EP when it was free as a supplemental study resource for several exams (the literature exams, Marketing, Environment and Humanity?) and it was certainly helpful, but as others have said above I would not pay for it now. There are plenty of other (and better) test prep materials out there. IC is worth paying for IMO. EP would be worth the investment only if you absolutely need the visual and audio aspect of it in order to learn well.
June 2016: B.A. in English - TESU

CLEP
A&I Lit 79, Intro Soc 65, Intro Psych 73, Intro Edu Psych 60, Human G&D 65, English Lit 73, Am Lit 73, Hum 63, College Comp 63, Prin Mark 73
DSST
Intro Comp 460, Env & Hum 65, Intro World Rel 475, Tech Writ 67, Ethics in Amer 456, H/C Geog 60, Gen Anthro 68, R&F Sov Un 73, HTYH 468
TECEP
Public Relations: Thought and Practice 86
TEEX
Cyber 101: Cyber Security for Everyone
Cyber 201: Cyber Security for IT Professionals
Cyber 301: Cyber Security for Business Professionals
ALEKS
Intermediate Algebra
UEXCEL
Literacy Instruction in the Elementary School - A

Credits 120/120 I'M DONE!!!!!!!!!!!
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
C. S. Lewis
Thank you all! I didn't want to part with $50 per month. IC is worth the $20, as I've gained much knowledge from all of you. Thanks for the input on the other materials.
Began Aug 2014
geissingert Wrote:Does anyone use Education Portal- It's $50 or $100 per month. I am wondering if it's worth the investment for my kids? They are working on test credits. If you use it, I would like to hear pros and cons.

TIA

I think it is worth it if you put the time into the lessons. They offer a comprehensive video series for the tests they cover. One subscription for your household is sufficient, You can always subscribe for a month and see if it is something your children like. I like it because it has chapters for lessons so I work through each one. I learn visually which means that there format helps. I have a paid subscription but its the most limited version. There are some issues, the videos don't always play on my internet service so I sometimes have to wait, on the basic subscription you have to keep track of your own progress, I've used them for U.S History 1 and 2 and I'm currently using them for Human Growth and Development, I find it useful because I watch a video while I walk on the treadmill in the morning for 8 minutes, then I take notes later when I actually use it as a study aid. Instantcert is better value and a great resource but EP has its uses in my life which is why I maintain a subscription. Instantcert is also faster in its prep material while EP can sometimes be long winded. A single class at community college is around 400 plus books so even if you subscribed to EP for four months and got four tests out of the way then it would be worth the investment in my opinion. It depends on what you put value on.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vent: 1-byte people in education berlinerd 3 409 11-17-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  To defend or not to defend, that is the question! bjcheung77 4 619 02-21-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Immigration and education level Personherebb9 7 816 10-30-2022, 03:32 PM
  Resume Question ROYISAGIRL 11 1,124 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: jsd
  A Conversation About Inflation, Life Abroad, and Education Kal Di 0 545 05-31-2022, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Another job application question carebear_007 4 660 04-11-2022, 02:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Microsoft Education Alpha 1 642 11-05-2021, 08:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Question: What do you use? For backup, restore, storage? bjcheung77 2 789 09-14-2021, 09:18 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Sommet Education acquires Invictus Education Group bjcheung77 0 699 05-06-2021, 04:50 PM
  Secretary of Education to speak at ACE2021 ashkir 0 668 03-19-2021, 07:44 PM
Last Post: ashkir